The Food Thread!

Spaghetti, and lots of it… I hope she made lotsa SPAGHETTI~ /shot

I always like fries, chicken, tomato soup, burrito’s, and chocolate as well… not all at once though…

I find it disturbing a lot of people are citing common fast-food items as their favourite nosh… doesn’t anyone eat like hearty stuff barbecued steak, or cajun chicken, or clam chowder, or apple pie (and no, McD doesn’t count)?

There’s not much I can consider as ‘Australian cuisine’, since most of it’s borrowed from other countries (like their ‘barbies’ are also an American tradition, and sushi which is very popular in the city is from Japan). I guess the closest thing they got to a native dish is grilled kangaroo meat. It actually tastes quite good, I had it as a hot-dog when they had a fundraiser in my uni. :slight_smile:

I’m also a huge fan of Ramen. Nobody does noodles better than the Japanese (although the dish originated from China)! I especially like tonkotsu, which is a broth made by boiling pork bones for hours. Add some well-strained noodles in there and some chashu (fried pork) slices with bamboo shoots on top and you’ll have my mouth watering like Pavlov’s dog!

There’s tons of Ramen stores in Sydney, and like tomyum, I tried as many as I can, and regularly visit only about three outlets. One of them has a ‘Godzilla size’, it’s a bowl as big as your face, and if you can finish everything (soup included) under 30 minutes, it’s free! Otherwise you have to fork out like $20+ bucks for such a huge serving. :smiley:

There’s a famous stall in Sydney a friend told me recently that sells tonkotsu ramen that has been boiled for a few days, so the soup is so rich it actually congeals a layer of fat after cooling a few minutes! And the noodles bloat up from absorbing all that collagen! It’s legendary, and I really want to try it! The portion is real small, but an online reviewer said she couldn’t finish the bowl, so I’m eager to see if I’m up for it.

Mm, that looks good, thedriveintheatre. If there was one thing I loved about Thailand when I went, it was the food there- the traditional stuff like Pad Thai, lots of noodles and spices. Thai restaurants over here are usually very good, but it’s not quite the same.

If I’ve had a long, drunken night out, there’s nothing better to refresh you the next day than a full English cooked breakfast. It’s horribly unhealthy and greasy, so it’s something I only have once every couple of months, but it’s delicious. Nothing else can cure a hangover like it, not even the hair of the dog!

Haha LG, Sydneysiders always order pad thai when they to to a thai restaurant. I like pad kee mao; it’s flat rice noodles stir-fried with soy sauce, chilli and various condiments, and is so oily and savoury compared to pad thai in my opinion.

There’s a famous Singapore chain called Thai Express we would eat in Singapore every now and then. The prices have risen lately and we’ve stopped eating, but I tried the one in Sydney city a few days ago (they’ve expanded overseas) and I ordered the “Sen Lek Kee Mao Gai” (Fire Noodles with Chicken) and it tasted almost the same as in S’pore (so top marks for consistency!). Only a little less spicier to cater to the Western palette.

The description read: “nicknamed “drunken fire noodles” as thais believe that only beer can put out the flames in your mouth after eating this deceptively mild -looking noodle dish”. 8D

Speaking of hangovers, I only got drunk once in my life, and I never had a hangover the morning after! ‘Hair of dog’ sounds counter-intuitive, like some dodgy homeopathy practice to me! :slight_smile:

thedriveintheatre- I really want some Thai food now. :laughing: And yes, that’s definitely the one difference I notice between authentic Thai food and the stuff here, the spiciness of it. I don’t think anything could have prepared me for just how hot some of the Thai food in Thailand is!

Yeah, I agree, I don’t get how the hair of the dog idea works really. Surely it would just make you feel worse? I’ve been drunk many times in my life, and have had a few epic hangovers, but at no point during these hangovers have I thought, ‘you know what I really want right now? More alcohol!’

Oh, that sounds so good right now.

Pizza!!! I love pizza. <3

Pizza and spaghetti, for me. :stuck_out_tongue: Pancakes are good, too.

I like Gumbos, Soups, Jambalayas, Spaghetti, Pizza, Hamburgers, and enchiladas.

My favorite types of food are Cajun, ‘American’, and Mexican.

Okay, thanks to all of you, I’m getting pizza for lunch tomorrow.

Hehe, I love pizzas! My favourite flavours are Supreme and Meat Lovers! My bro hates olives for some reason.

Oh my god, I love gumbo stew! I think it’s the best ‘poor man’s soup’ right up there with tom yam goong, minestrone and goulash! And by ‘poor man’s soup’, I don’t mean this in a disparing way. I can have gumbo or any of the other soups for the rest of my life and I’ll be happy (although I may suffer from malnutrition from not having enough variety in my diet).

I have no idea what are enchiladas or jambalayas, but they sound interesting!

I’m also curious how many people have tried ratatouille? I had my first dish in a truckstop while travelling to Germany from Italy, and it was absolutely delicious (I’m having ‘Anton-Ego’ flashbacks of it now). I love the tarty tomato reduction, the semi-firm yet moist texture of the zuchinni and eggplants, the little bits of garlic and onion… it’s like a salad, but cooked with sauce!

I’m dying to try the Confit Byaldi varation that Thomas Keller did for the Pixar movie of the same name! :wink:

thedriveinthetre: Enchiladas is a Mexican dish, and Jambalaya is a Cajun dish. And I have had ratatouille once at a Fresh Choice, it was really good! I want to make ratatouille myself someday. I like all poor man soups too, especially minestroni!

I really wanna try Cajun food sometime, Princess and the Frog has helped to give me that interest… :slight_smile:

Everyone loves pizza! 8D

I don’t have a specific favorite foods, but there are many foods I really enjoy. :slight_smile: Pizza and steak are two of my favorites. I also really love fruit.

Fruit! YES! Apples, oranges, bananas, guava, kiwi. Yes. <3

You’ll be very happy when you do, it’s fantastic. I hope you like spicy!

Virginia: I’m eating pizza tonight! Sa-weet!

I love fruit too, my favorite is grapes. Which was bound to happen, considering where I live! :laughing:

^ Yay!! Another favorite of mine is Chinese and Japanese food. I would prefer to try the real thing, though, since I assume it’s better than the fake American version.

Haha, I got to have pizza tonight! :smiley: I love fruit too. My favorites are oranges and peaches, maybe because I really love juicy fruit… grapes are really good, too.

definitely mexican :slight_smile: