The Definitive Pixar In-Jokes List

Can we please start with the short films? We have a good list of in-jokes for the feature films, I think we should start with the shorts.

azzstar: It makes the noise of a cockroach? Iā€™m going to have to check that out.

Thanks for the submissions, especially those hard-to-spot ones (no pun intended). :wink: Iā€™ll try and update this weekend, as well as add some of my own.

Iā€™m happy that you are so eager to contribute to that particular section and Iā€™m sure you have lots of submissions ready, but Iā€™d like it if we could extend some film sections, especially the A Bugā€™s Life and Toy Story ones. If you look at those, they have hardly any submissions. (Iā€™m not blaming anyone, since I could find some in ABL if I wanted to, as well).

But if we keep working on the list, Iā€™d anticipate opening up the short film section before too longā€¦ :mrgreen:

Lol Yes :laughing:

I would love have helped with the list of Toy Story and A Bugā€™s Life, but the sad thing is that I donā€™t a DVD version of those movies. Also it is quite hard to spot in-jokes with the VHS. As soon as I get DVDs for those movie I will try to extend the list of in-jokes.

People say that Booā€™s room featured to most in jokes in one scene, I say they are wrong. Here we have a scene from Finding Nemo which I am claiming to contain the most Pixar in-jokes in one scene.

Number 1 is Buzz light year lying on the floor
Number 2 is the aeroplane Buzz used to demonstrate that he can fly
Number 3 is the doll of Mike Wazowski, which he made boo cry when he refused of giving the doll.
Number 4 is a toy which is found in Boos room(As you could see below) and is recycled by Pixar and featured in this paticular scene.

Oh wow man, I only noticed the Buzz in that scene. I didnā€™t see the other stuff. NIce find.

azzstar - Cool! I didnā€™t even notice those other toys there. Well done. :mrgreen:

I agree with all of them, but Iā€™m not sure about number 3, thoughā€¦ It looks more like Mr Potato Head, or an upside-down tea pot. Iā€™ll try to get a clearer screenshot to study it closer. (Sorry to sound like Iā€™m disagree with everything to be annoying. I just want to make this list as accurate as possible).

Also, are you able to read what is on the newspaper in the dentistā€™s waiting room in Finding Nemo? And the childrenā€™s books in the waiting room? I tried reading them myself, but couldnā€™t recognise anything.

And could you possibly post up higher quality screenshots here? 'Cause then it makes the references easier to approve or disprove. Thanks!

Oh, right. I see. Iā€™ll try and look for some myself, since I have the DVDs of those movies, when I have some spare time. I think the ABL in-jokes are less obvious than in some other Pixar films, thatā€™s why theyā€™re so hard to spot. If you do manage to find some on your VHS tapes, you can just give me a detailed description of where the in-jokes are, or even an exact time, and I can get a screenshot for you on your behalf.

In Cars, I think a truck with the Toy Story initials TS drives by in very start of the flash back sequence, when Sally is explaining what life was like before the highways was built, but I donā€™t own it so Iā€™m not sure.

Can some please check this for me? If it isnā€™t TS, what was it (it went by so fast I wasnā€™t sure)?

Itā€™s quite hard to get a screenshot with good quality. When I upload the image to the web it seems to lose some quality, but Iā€™ll try my best to get better quality. Also if you get hold of clearer screenshot youā€™ll discover that number 3 is laying on top of a Luxo Jr ball, you need to zoom in to see it. Now thatā€™s Number 5.

May I have the privilege of starting the shorts.

Hereā€™s two for Jack-Jack Attack

In this Particular scene we could recognise the Luxo Jr Ball, But has anyone recognised the toy trolley containing them colorful blocks which has made a earlier appearance in Finding Nemo.

azzstar - When I eventually open up the short films section I will add that in. You still submit short film references but I just wonā€™t add them straight away. Actually, it would be good if you submitted them because then I can just go back to this thread later.

Okay

I would love it if this thread could be made a sticky. cough

Hereā€™s one for Monsters Inc

The Aeroplane from Toy Story, which Buzz used to show that he could fly.

True, it should be made into a sticky.

Heres another for Monsters inc.

Look at the background, see if you could located a well known character.

Hereā€™s one for The incredibles

The object circled, Is a toy which has made a early apperance in Toy Story 2, as seen below:

Iā€™m on a role.
Heresā€™s one for Finding Nemo;

In the dentist room the you could see a mobile(top right hand corner), that has also made an apperance in Monsters Inc, seen below

Edited. I combined all of your posts. ā€“ Mitch

rachel - Iā€™ll inquire of bawpcwpn as to what he thinks, and then Iā€™ll see what I can do. :wink:

azzstar - Iā€™m sorry that I combined all of your posts, but I am trying to save board space; plus, it makes a thread look less ā€œmessyā€ overall. Unless several hours have gone by, it would be great if you could simply edit your original post to include your new findings instead of making three or four comments in a row.

Thank you. :wink:

Administrators/Moderators: If my action is deemed inappropriate and/or unnecessary, please do not refrain from correcting my error.

ā€“ Mitch

Mitch - Thanks a lot. :wink:

azzstar - Woah, I think youā€™ve outdone yourself this time. You have a knack for finding familiar objects in the background that would usually go unnoticed. Great job! :mrgreen: I really want to know want to know what the Japanese writing translates as on the sushi chefā€™s hatā€¦ I bet itā€™s an inside joke.

You have a good eye, azzstar!

Are we sure that all of these finds are meant to be ā€œin-jokesā€ or has Pixar simply been recycling these little props? Specifically, the mobile from Monsters Inc. found in Finding Nemoā€¦ couldnā€™t that have been there just for the sake of reusing the prop so they would not have to create a new mobile?

ashley

Sometimes they are done as in-jokes, and other times they are done to save time so instead of building a new prop, they just go into their catalogue from other films and see if they can use a past object (this is how the Pizza Planet truck tradition was started). And sometimes itā€™s both. But either way it would still count as a reference and as an in-joke (even if it was put in the film out of convenience, in the first place).