Night and Day (Toy Story 3's Short)

I’m really excited for this one! I’m excited to learn that some of its inspiration was drawn from “The Dot and the Line” and “Duck Amuck” both are fantastic and artistic, as well as important to the history of animation. Chuck Jones for the win! Anyways, yeah I’m looking forward to it. As most everyone else is as well, I’m sure.

I remember loving “The Dot and the Line” and “Duck Amuck” as a kid, though I can’t remember (it’s more a deja vu kinda feeling).

Hopefullly Night & Day can evoke that same abstract, surrealistic feeling as well! :slight_smile:

Have you seen this new pic?

I love that new pic!!! I’m just loving how the images and settings are in their body, and the background is just black. It’s very creative and artistic.

Yeah, I could imagine the left new pic is from a desolate, but lively place at night in Africa and the right one in a tropical island everyday.

Well, it seems to be a wolf or a coyote, so I’m sure it’s not from Africa :stuck_out_tongue:

Yah, that is a great picture! I know I am going to love this love short.

Everyone should read the recent article Martin wrote and follow the links. it was great. Teddy Newton is awsome.

pixarplanet.com/blog/awn-covers- … production

I was imagining an African Wild Dog. :smiley:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Wild_Dog

I want to buy this new pic on a T-shirt. Would you be takin’ orders Teddy Newton? I want to buy two please.

I think it’s a wolf, because it looks like one and also it’s a play on the word “wolf” which is used to describe a lady chasing man.
It reminds me of the old Tex Avery Cartoons with Red and the Wolf who would howl and the sight of a beautiful women.

Exactly. It’s a “Wolf whistle” :smiley:

Will there be a book to explain about sight gags and metaphors from ‘Day & Night’ for the Japanese market? I mean, I almost forgot we(Americans) do “Wolf whistle” to attractive ladies.:blush: Japanese guys in Japan just look at someone they like. I don’t know sometimes with their poker faces here, but somehow there is some wooing.

This is how I would explain wooing a girl, in America, is done personally to a Japanese guy. So in America we go to the beach like Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk in Northern California, or The Strand in Southern California and cruise around on beach cruiser bikes and say aawwoooohhhh, or howling wolf sound to an attractive woman. It means hello, we like you. You have great assets, great body, great hair, great eyes, whatever.

Believe me you have to explain it, this kind of long way, to the Japanese guys how we woo in the states. The Japanese audience will appreciate the short film more if you explain things this way more. ellie-jessie-eve’s definition would be perfect in a book about ‘Day & Night’.

Ha, why thank you

That’s an interesting point, Rey- sometimes certain cultural differences mean that jokes or implied meanings don’t always come across in the same way when shown to audiences around the world, though Pixar seem to have avoided too much misunderstanding in the past.

I mean, if anyone made the sort of noises you’re describing to me, I’d be pretty insulted. I’d consider it the sort of thing one would do to a woman who looks quite ‘easy’, let’s say. :laughing:

I’m liking the new shots of Day & Night…Really can’t wait to see this now!

I really can’t wait too lizardgirl. I’m guessing the next batch of Day & Night pics will come from Annecy International Animation Film Festival on June 11th.
pixarplanet.com/blog/pixar-at-an … d-premiere
annecy.org/annecy-2010/festi … 0000300078

I can’t help myself again. It’a the geek in me. Do you know that when it’s day time in Annecy, France on Friday, June 11th it will be night time Thursday, June 10th in Yreka, California. Sunrise in Annecy is 5:45am and sunset in Yreka is 8:45pm.

So if I had to animate this, on Friday in Annecy France, Day & Night will be shown in 3D and then be discussed. While in Yreka on Thursday night, a mother will read a story to a child about Day & Night, but in pop-up book form.
allbookstores.com/book/97808 … Night.html

Two sides of the same coin. Coin metaphor. Now, I’m trying to be an animator. You guys get it?

I’ve watched the preview clips countless times now, and I laugh every single freakin’ time! [spoil]Night’s ‘eye-popping’ when he spots the suntanning girl, his cheeky expression as he wets his hair, and then his confused expression when he fails to get her on his tummy after kicking Day aside[/spoil]! 8D

I think this is gonna be Pixar’ funniest short yet! I’m gonna watch it again… Cheesy Caribbean music begins

From what I’ve seen I really like this short. xD I like those two characters, they’re so simplistic, but it works quite well with the black background and the settings inside them.

Teddy Newton in Annecy 2010. Go to 1:58. He doesn’t talk about Day & Night, but loves it there and wishes a happy birthday to Annecy. That’s it. The end.
youtube.com/watch?v=njQo3XX-9ho

I can’t wait to see it!!! I have to wait 11 days after the release :frowning:

Hi guys,

I was present at the premiere of Day and Night at the Annecy film festival on Friday and I can tell you that it is spectacular. Every facet of its visuals and audio is so well crafted, and the stereoscopic 3D presentation is superb and utterly convincing.

I was so excited to see it, after having waited in line for a ticket for a long period of time. The short was preceded by a brief making of talk by director Teddy Newton, and then the film was shown once again at the presentation’s conclusion. Further, the next day (Saturday) it was shown yet again in front of Toy Story 2, so in total I have seen it three times already and am eagerly awaiting further viewings.

Anyone who hasn’t seen it yet is in for a treat…

Wow, that’s amazing that you got a chance to see it early, booh88. Where abouts is the Annecy festival? You’re making me all the more excited to see it.