Night and Day (Toy Story 3's Short)

I’m really excited to see this short. It has a ‘Spy vs Spy’ vibe to it. I still laugh at the ‘beach lady’ clip. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks booh88 for the report and just going there and waiting in line. I have a question too. Did anyone talk about why was Day & Night drawn with a big nose and a pot belly? It looks like this animal, the Proboscis Monkey.
smackamack.wordpress.com/2009/04 … ed-monkey/

Fact: It has a big nose because it has to cool down its stomach. If you point a heat sensor on its stomach it generates a lot of heat. I got this fact this morning from a science show.

That monkey has a SQUIDWARD NOSE! :smiley:

To answer a few questions:

Annecy is a film festival held in France each year devoted exclusively to animation. It was held from the 7th to the 12th of June, and this year was its 50th anniversary so it was a big event.

Little mention was made as to the choice of character design, or any specific reason for the big nose and pot belly. What was mentioned however during Teddy Newton’s making of presentation is that his drawing style has always been very cartoony and uncomplicated, and this accounts for the basic design of both characters. Indeed, Teddy mentioned that he himself animated a portion of the film.
Further, having large bellies was a practical choice in that it enabled a clear and unhindered view into the environments within each character (a skinny design would present too much of a restricted view), and their ‘cartoon-ness’ enabled lots of fun squash and stretch animation to occur which enhances the display and motion of each character’s internal content, (you’ll understand better when you see it).

I don’t know if any stills of the ending have been released yet but it is wonderful.

EDIT:

Here is the poster I got from the event. Regrettably (unlike my friend) I missed getting it signed by Teddy Newton as I was eleswhere present at a Disney ‘Art of Traditional Animation’ conference with John Musker and Ron Clements, which was equally awesome. It’s a shame about the creases, it was hard enough getting it from France to England in as good condition as it is to be honest.

[spoil]I saw this short. I admit that is was a very unique short, combining the elements of 2d and 3d animation. It was a joy and a delight to watch. It was a great way to compare and see the broad range of activities that go on in the daytime and the nighttime.[/spoil]

I just thought it was nice how they talked about how people are sometimes ‘difficult’ with new ideas; they are reluctant to explore the new things. Y3 It was very cute in expressing how easy it is to get along with everyone. Though i doubt many people were listening carefully to the radio broadcast YD

The short is now available on Itunes in the States for $1.99.

itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … 6&s=143441

[spoil]I saw some Cars refrences.[/spoil] :smiley:

Day & Night are Schmoo-like characters. That is what John Lasseter calls them. I got it from Jim Hill Media Blog. A schmo and to schmooze are in the dictionary so I kinda understand what to expect from the short. Spoiler alert if you haven’t seen Day & Night yet, like me.
jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ … t-day.aspx

I loved this short. I hope that good 2D animation like that never dies.

Don’t they look like little Bone Neanderthals =3 . That’s what I think they look like, to be honest XD

What were the [spoil]refrences[/spoil]?

I loved this short! My only complaint is I went to a theater where it wasn’t shown in 3D. I would love to see this short in 3D!

[spoil]If you look closely you’ll see flashes of the drive-in theather with Doc,Flo,and I think some other characters.[/spoil] :slight_smile:

Alright, that makes a lot of sense! I’ll keep an eye out.

Haha, I absolutely loved this short! I like how there was 3D animation inside the characters, even though the whole thing was technically 2D.

One question, does anyone know if the radio broadcast was made just for this short, or if it was an actual broadcast or part of something else, like another movie?

I haven’t seen the film in 2D yet, but in 3D it worked out perfectly.

And yes, I was wondering the same thing about the broadcast. My guess is that it was made pecially for the short.

I saw this today, and I think it really is a really clever short. I just loved the way that they were able [spoil]to combine 2d and 3d animation. And I loved the bit with Las Vegas, cuz Las Vegas during the day isn’t nearly as cool as Vegas at night[/spoil]

It was an actual broadcast . Here’s some info from answers.com

The voice used in this film is from Dr. Wayne Dyer and was taken from a lecture he gave in the 1970s. The director of the film incorporated the ideas taken from Dyer’s lecture in order to show that the unknown can be mysterious and beautiful, and doesn’t at all have to be something to fear. Pixar honored Dyer by providing him with a private screening of the film.

answers.com/topic/day-night-2010-film

Day and night was actually pretty cool, I really liked the music so I was pretty excited when I saw Micheal Giacchino’s name in the credits. :slight_smile:

I really enjoyed the short, but [spoil]I thought the radio broadcast was unnecessary, preachy, and slowed things down overall.[/spoil] I think the message could’ve been conveyed silently, so that brought it down a bit for me. But with the great concepts and animation, overall I think it’s one of the better Pixar shorts.