Favorite Voice Actor?

Dave Foley. It’s funny to hear about Dave not being too keen on his own voice and wondering why people want to listen to it, but Pixar apparently saw a quality in his voice for Flik that he didn’t see himself.

And also Joe Ranft. Now that he’s gone I almost wonder if maybe there’s a reason why Pixar doesn’t do much with the characters anymore. Joe seems irreplaceable as Heimlich. John Lasseter said that he tried other German voices, but none of them were as good or as funny as Joe. Now when I watch the scene of the children’s play to the circus bugs (knowing that it’s completely from Joe) I can’t help but notice the sad irony when Dot says they “drew one of them dying” that it was Joe’s own character they drew.

A Bug’s Life had so many great voices, I would have to list all of them.

^Good point. There’s not one voice or character or voice on this movie I don’t like. Seriously, I hjave more issues with my favorite movie than this one. That seems weird now that I think about it…

Yeah, he was one of my favorites for this movie.

Seriously, I’ve been trying all day to think of an actor on this movie I didn’t/don’t like. :open_mouth: I love them all!!! I’m very disturbed that I have more personal issues with both my favorite movies(both PIXAR, and I’m very obsessed on a psychological level with both) than this one. Like, I’m convinced this movie is perfect. But it’s still in the middle of my list. I’m very confused…this is the only PIXAR movie where I really can’t think of one thing I hate. I’m going to watch it right now, and see if I should move it up a couple of slots…

Dave Foley and Brad Garrett are my favorite out of this cast! I love both of their voices.

Kevin Spacey. Period.
I will admit that until very recently (as in three weeks ago) I was one of those Pixar fans that completely overlooked ABL and DID think it was flop compared to the other Pixar films. But then again, it had also been 13 years since I last saw A Bug’s Life. I had to see it again now as an adult to really appreciate and understand a lot of the story and the depth of the characters. One of the characters that had left a very lasting impression for me was Hopper, and I can definitely understand why now. Hopper was made out to be a smart villain. He never denied the reality of his situation (the possibility of the ants turning on the grasshoppers and overpowering them) and the ‘lessons’ and ‘motivational’ speeches he gave to keep his own clan in line. The actual power that Hopper had over his gang and the ants as a society is very frightening to me even today. His character was so much fun, I decided to peg him with a possible Antisocial Personality disorder. Maybe Personality Disoder Not Otherwise specified since Hopper didn’t meet all of the DSM-IV criteria of APD, but did definitely show impulsivity. I’m a nerd with dissecting the behavioral traits of characters that I find amazing, and Hopper was one of them.

Pixar really goes above and beyond when choosing their voice talent. They have NEVER used or showed off on their movie trailers a “big” Hollywood name to entice an audience. Spacey tends to portray these intellectual or somewhat psychopathic baddies in real-life films, and they nailed it with Hopper.

There is indeed something very wrong with Hopper, definitely a personality disorder of some sort. Or maybe he’s just a psychopath.

That being said, Kevin Spacey FTW.

Yes :slight_smile: ! Kevin Spacey definitely needs more love! He adds so much power and intimidation to Hopper’s character, I can’t picture it working with anyone else…

I love Kevin Spacey. In every movie I’ve seen them in. I just like Dave Foley’s voice more, for some reason.

Oh yeah. Well overall as a voice, I’d rather hear Dave Foley. I just mean Kevin Spacey’s great for the character he plays. :stuck_out_tongue:

Haiidar. I’m a newbie on these boards but I think I’ll input seeing as I love ABL and it was my favourite film as a kid and all that.
I try to think about all of the more minor voice actors, like John Ratzenberger, Madeliene Khan etc, but the voice I always end up thinking about is Dave Foley’s. I don’t think I’ve ever watched such a relatable protaganist in any film I’ve seen. As far as I was concerned when I was 6 years old, Flik was my husband :stuck_out_tongue:
Where did Dave Foley say he hated his voice btw? :slight_smile:

Exactly. That’s how I feel to the point.

Definedancing, when I was a kid, Woody was my boyfriend. XD

IncredigirlVirginia : That makes me feel loads better XD

Good. I personally still crush and gush about Woody. It’s the skeleton in my closet. So yeah…XD

I think we’ve all had a crush on a fictional character tbh. It’s just not very cool to bring them up. 8D
Except for here. All friends here, right? :slight_smile:

WHat happens on Pixar Planet, stays on Pixar Planet, lols!
And don’t be ashamed of animated crushes! We have a whole thread here on Pixar Planet in the common room about cartoon crushes. I’m personally partial to Prince Naveen from The Princess and the Frog.

Exactly!! No one in real life, except maybe my Mom, knows! 8D

Before the Incredibles came out, I had a crush on Atta. I believe a little bit of that was due to her voice.

Atta is so gorgeous to me. I have such a girlie crush on her ^.^

^Atta is the single most annoying character in the film imo, but still very fanciable :slight_smile:.