Disney releases upcoming features slate through 2012.

Don’t be so sure. They’ll find a way, they always do…

:confused: Um…not in The Incredibles.

The Incredibles is an exception, due to Brad being new at Pixar. And anyway, we can’t confirm or deny the presence of the PP truck in it anyway.

My thoughts exactly. Hopefully the whole Disney-power-mad thing is just a figment of our…anxiety, if I may :stuck_out_tongue:

Even though “newt” sounds like an interesting movie…

Sequels have been given a bad name by companies like Disney & Dreamworks who sequel the hell out of something NOT because there is still story to be told, but because they want the $$$. Cinderella 3 makes us all cry, I know I know… but Cinderella 3 is not Toy Story 3 and Mulan 2 is not Cars 2. I understand the automatic reaction to worry after one sees an upcoming sequel… but the only reason we do worry is that we’ve been conditioned, by SO MANY horrible Disney/ Dreamworks/ etc. sequel releases, to do so.

I think people tend to forget that Pixar’s only sequel so far has been Toy Story 2, and that it was amazing. Toy Story 2 is even considered to be a better movie by a lot of Pixar fans than A Bug’s Life or Cars because I guess everyone just hates John Lasseter. ): (Just kidding.) Anyway, I think people see the ‘2’ or the ‘3’ and forget that this is Pixar we’re talking about!

Sequels only ruin something if they’re BAD! Pixar is the only major animation company that has proven that they can make a great, stand-alone sequel. If they’ve done it once, why doesn’t anyone want to believe that they can do it again?

Everyone needs to remember that Pixar is not Disney. They’re together now, but they are not one in the same… ‘Itty Bitty Pixar’ isn’t going to be pushed around by ‘Big Bad Disney’. Disney has no means to push Pixar around because everyone knows Pixar is saving Disney’s butt; or at least they’re helping with the butt-saving. If Disney ever tried to push Pixar into making a sequel ‘just for the money’, Pixar would be gone in a second- I have full confidence in this.

Besides, Disney is getting better! The fact that they’re doing 2D again is proof enough for me that they’re ‘on the right track’. Disney wasn’t Disney in the later years with Eisner. In my eyes, they’re back. And come on! As disillusioned with Disney as I know we all became, you can’t just forget all those great lessons movies like The Lion King taught us. Forget about Cinderella 3 and Mulan 2 and every other 2 and 3 and 5 because Disney’s moving on… If they’re obviously making an effort to fix things, why not forgive them?

Pixar has not given us a reason to doubt them yet so why would we want to now? I’m hearing people say they don’t see where the road could lead for
Cars, that the ending was so well wrapped up for them. Well I’d argue that every Pixar film has a pretty wrapped ending, and I don’t think Cars’ is any more so than the others.

As for the other movies… we know next to nothing about them. There is no way for us to tell what these movies are REALLY going to be about, because come on- movie sypnosis NEVER do the actual movies ANY justice. Cars looked awful before it came out (pretend people don’t argue that it IS awful). Ratatouille looked stupid to me when I saw the first preview. When I first read the maybe one or two sentences initially released about Wall-E, I thought it sounded weird too. No Pixar film has ever really sounded very good ‘on paper’. Not even Toy Story. The execs at Disney almost shut it down it sounded and even looked so bad to them! You can’t take a sypnosis at face value, you really can’t, so I’m witholding judgement until I see real footage.

“I’m worried that Pixar will become the new, dysfuntional Disney!” Why? It’s not like John Lasseter (or anyone else at Pixar) is just going to hang up all of his values as producer, director and animator for something as trivial as money. He knows what it was like to start at the bottom and as long as he’s around, he’s never going to let Pixar forget it, no matter who moves in. People so underestimate his and Pixar’s character, it really bothers me. Pixar INVENTED this game of computer animation. They sure know how to do it, and they’ve proven time and time again that they know how to make a great movie with not just great animation, but great story, great characters and great heart. And this formula is the reason they are so respected and ALSO why they make so much money. So why would they give that up if they can make just as much money making GREAT movies as they would make, making horrible ones?

Pixar knows what they’re doing. People believe this but as soon as they hear the word ‘sequel’ they run around in circles. HAKUNA MATATA GUYS! Pixar hasn’t changed their colors yet.

Couldn’t have said it better myself!

I’m a little bit hesitant about where Pixar is heading, and about them spreading themselves too thin. But I found a really encouraging quote from John Lasseter (from the same press release):

“This is an amazing time for animation at Disney and Pixar, and it’s a thrill to be working on such a diverse and original group of films with such an all-star team of filmmakers. The thing I love best about my job is that I get to work at both Disney and Pixar with filmmakers who are passionate about their projects and who are the absolute best in
the business. We’re excited to be pushing the boundaries of 3-D and computer technology to tell our stories in the best possible way. At the same time, we’re drawing on our past to emphasize memorable characters, original edge-of-your-seat stories, and believable worlds. Walt Disney and his creative team taught us how to blend comedy, powerful emotion, and action-filled excitement in our films, and this group of incredible filmmakers is bringing their own originality and sensibilities to the process.”

So I don’t think Pixar are going to lose their roots any time soon. (At least I hope not).

In regards to Up, we would have already had an action-adventure (The Incredibles), as well as a sci-fi adventure (WALL•E), so I’m really looking forward to an adventure-adventure. Heheh. I think the basis of the story will be about the boy and old man learning from each other: the young boy would learn from the old man’s life experience, and, by the sounds of things, the old man would hopefully learn to live more, and the boy’s energy for life would rub off on him.

I was thinking about newt, and it seems more like an expansion of the little love stories in various Pixar films (Cars, Toy Story, and Ratatouille), but yeah, it does sound a bit like the relationship between WALL•E and EVE. I think this may be Pixar’s first ever strict romantic comedy. I am loving the idea the more I think about it.

TBATB sounds a lot like Ratatouille in that the character wants to break out of a pre-defined role and do something that society wouldn’t expect from them, much less allow them to do.

I hope they are released in both formats, too. For one, if it was only in 3-D theatres that would cut out a huge market of regular movie-goers who either can’t get access to a 3-D theatre, or wouldn’t want to pay the extra price to watch it (I’m judging by the ticket prices for the Hannah Montana in 3-D movie, though).

It would also be good to have the option of seeing Pixar films the regular way first, without the 3-D distracting you, and then see it again in Disney 3-D. If people (especially us fans) had this option, it could potentially double their profit (I doubt it, but you never know)!

Sorry, if this was already covered in the press release, but I couldn’t be bothered looking through all of the info: I want to know how Pixar will release their DVDs starting with Up, as well. Will they be released as a regular Pixar presentation or in Disney 3-D?

Hmm. I think it’s fair to say they’ll definately release their movies in both ‘regular’ AND Digital 3D format. That’s the way it’s been with all the Disney Digital 3D releases so far. (: I think Disney and Pixar know not everyone wants to see all this “New Age, mumbo jumbo!” though I myself am very excited about it.

Thats funny, I remember Disney threatening to do Toy Story 3 if Pixar wouldn’t and they even started it until Pixar finally agreed to do it (and without a great story to tell). Seems to me Disney pushed Pixar around in that case and now they have to pull a story out of their butts and hope it doesn’t become the next Shrek 3, if you know what I mean.

I also remember John Lasseter denying rumors of a Cars 2, saying they’ll only be making sequels if they have a story worth telling, but Disney had already announced they were spending hundreds of millions of dollars on an entire area of DCA devoted to these characters. Disney wouldn’t have done this unless they had some insurance to back it up (the stock holders are all they care about), Bob Idger also stating that he expects to see a Cars 2, and then an announcement that a Cars 2 will be premiering with the opening of the DCA area and won’t be directed by John Lasseter but by a producer.

Sounds to me that as much a Lasserter wants to be in control, Disney can still veto his opinions, and thats why if any of these movies are bad I blame Disney!

Actually, Disney started Toy Story 3 when Pixar was threatening to leave them. When they came together, Pixar shut it down COMPLETELY but then later picked it back up. What I’m saying here is, I don’t think Pixar ever wanted a Toy Story 3… but when it was started, it may have sparked something because I know if Pixar DIDN’T come up with another GREAT story, they wouldn’t have brought the project back. It would have stayed shut down after Disney started it.

And I don’t think John was pushed down from the Cars 2 project. If he could be or wanted to be director, he would be. But he’s so busy with his jobs at Pixar AND Disney now, he’s got no time! And I won’t deny the fact that Cars sells, but I know that isn’t why they decided to go ahead with it. They would not have started the project if they didn’t have a great story for it. And I don’t think it’s hard to believe that there is more Cars can tell, I think everyone is just a little upset that it isn’t The Incredibles 2.

Duh, that is the main principle for any company and that is to generate money. So what if Disney pushed Pixar into making Cars 2 and Toy story 3, at the end of the day Disney bought Pixar and they want their money wroth.

Any ways i’m glad to see that Pixar are making sequels, At least we get to see our beloved characters again with another story to enjoy. And knowing Pixar they aren’t going to ruin these movies and not let us down. If Pixar becomes the next Dreamworks, then at least they become Dreamworks with pure story telling quality.

I see what you’re saying. But I don’t think there is any reason to worry yet. Like I tried to say, Disney is in no position to push Pixar around right now. Pixar is holding all of the cards.

If Pixar didn’t mention TS3 in the bloopers of TS2 and ended that movie with a The End; Then it would be reasonable to say that Pixar don’t want another sequel of that movie, But them mentioning TS3 got a lot of people excited, so do you think that pixar would break that promise?

Those new Pixar’s sound really, really cool. I am totally gonna see them when they reach theaters, dude.

Come on guys! It is a little depressing that they aren’t coming out with more sequals, but cars was a good movie and we should at least be happy they’re coming out with a sequal to that. Who knows, maybe they’re secretly working on other sequals. On the other hand I can’t wait for the other movies! :smiley:

Well said, K9Girl. And it’s spelled s-e-q-u-e-l. :wink:

cracks knuckles Unsure what I’m exactly writing here…ahh maybe just opinions on the movies I guess :slight_smile:

Up:
Well Pixar looks to going for a good old action-like film here but with meaning. Hopefully won’t leave out it’s main-stay comedy additions in lue for this one. Might lead Pixar to using a more nature-look and extending it’s field a bit. Perhaps improving on the field work they had in Bugs Life and what not.

TY3:
I suppose that if they made a second one, a trilogy could’ve been inevitable. Though I suppose morally this third sequel could be widely accepted. As in TY1, we see Andy as a kid, then a older in TY2, and in this new one we see Andy going off to College (got this bit from Wikipedia, true or not, just using it as an example). Suppose it’s a good wrap up for both the Toys and Andy. Though since this is years away from the original cast, it might have some differences. Though Buzz and Woody will surprisingly have their voice actors reprise their roles, Disney, despite some things, have an interesting nack for getting similiar-sounding people.

Newt:
One I’m looking most forward too, as it gives a reptilian/amphibian a starring role. Although there’s a love-story in this one, it probably won’t be like that in Wall-E, as Wall-E has a love for Eve, and I’m guessing she does too soon through the film, while Newt and Brooke dislike each other. Suppose the love/hate relationship and the two being polar opposites, is what gives the movie it’s plot. And I’m guessing that the two won’t be stuck in a lab the whole movie…

The Bear and the Bow:
This one brings Pixar into the fairy tale realm. Personally, I wonder how Pixar will use the world of swords and magic into their repetoire…given their past brilliance, the Bear and the Bow might become as good as Lord of the Rings when it first came out. Guess we’ll see what Picar has up it’s sleeve in the fantasy department heh heh.

Cars 2:
Though I was one who didn’t think Cars needed a sequel, John Lasseter’s comment of “the Cars [are] going international” in the sequel, made me consider the prospect in a better manner. While Cars had the characters in a small town-picture, the sequel, supposedly would bring us on an international scale. How this would play into the sequel would be interesting. Not to mention that this, at the current state, is the second Pixar film to get a sequel, we can see how Pixar will handle itself with this one and Toy Story 3.

Who says they’ll go into the sword/magic thing? Personally, I’m getting really tired of those sorts of films, but if it’s Pixar, it’s gonna be good.

I can’t wait for…WALL•E, Newt, and Cars 2! :smiley:

What surprised me about the whole thing, was that PIXAR basically let the cat out of the bag for the next 4 years! I can’t recall them doing stuff like that ever. Walt Disney Pictures always had musings and ramblings about films coming out 3-4 years in advance, but I kept wondering if this was some concession that Lasseter and the PIXAR people had to make when they became enfolded into Disney-i.e. shareholders wanting to know more about the company they have invested in. (Not being a Disney shareholder, I wouldn’t know).

I’m hoping that they are still pushing the story moreso than anything else. If an early summary of what ‘Up’ is about is to be believed, I’ll be more than happy to go along for the ride.

‘Cars 2’ had me a bit concerned. Not that it’s a sequel, but that it was kind of John Lasseter’s ‘baby,’ and now the sequel is a concept that he isn’t directing. I personally didn’t think that Lightning McQueen really needed to do or prove anything else. He’d finally found a way to slow down. Though I did notice something that seemed rather strategic, in taht Cars 2 comes out in 2012, which is about the same time that Cars Land in ‘California Adventure’ is due to open. The planets align a bit too well.

I’m probably part of the built-in audience for ‘Toy Story 3,’ but that’s because if the script deals with what I think it will, I am pretty curious.

“Newt,” to me, is the one that just doesn’t excite me all that much. Interesting concept, but it seems almost too ‘been there, done that.’

‘The Bear & The Bow’ I hope will be good. Interesting to think of PIXAR tackling humans outside of of modern-day world.

I think Pixar only told Disney, and Disney, being the blabbermouths that they are, told us. :angry:

But at least we know there’s a Cars 2 coming soon! :smiley: