Disney releases upcoming features slate through 2012.

I hope they know what they’re doing. The announcement of Cars 2 has me worried, the ending of Cars was fully wrapped up for me, I’ve never once thought “what else could happen in this universe?” (unlike the Toy Story films, which have room to expand). I can’t imagine John Lasseter being influenced by Disney, even if Cars merchandise sold a crap load, there’s gotta be a story worth telling there right? It was the least favored Pixar film among the critics (although it still did very very well), so there’s few reasons they should want to continue the story. It has me puzzled.
Also, having two films a year? Could Pixar spread it’s creative talent too thin under this pressure? I hope not!

I know I’m kind of shouting doom from the rooftops, but I really love this studio and I don’t want to see it loose its magic. I’m sure I’m overreacting - at least, I hope I am - but there’s something about this announcement which doesn’t sit right with me. I hope it’s just too much for my brain to handle and thats all. :confused:

Newt has me all kinds of excited! I’m sure with my name it’s pretty obvious!

Ha!I’ts funny how people are always ready to bash Cars :stuck_out_tongue:(It reminds me of my favorite NBA team,Houston Rockets) :stuck_out_tongue: !I think it has just as much equal potential as the other pixar films.Although the Incredibles was just a film they got all hyped up about and made a big deal about,because it was not all that like it appeared to be :confused: .Anywayz yay Carz 2! :smiley:

I know I am hiding from WALL•E spoilage, but I am going to take one very little peek at Upcoming Pixar to see those logos.

Wow, they’re really chugging them out! Cool, Cars 2. I’m not really going to judge it, but I hope it’s not gonna totally focus on Lightning and Mater…

Knowing Pixar, they’ll have reguard for their fans and they won’t “focus” too much on just two characters. I trust they have a secondary plot of some sorts in the works. :wink:

LightningandSally… You took the words right outta my mouth, sister. :slight_smile: Glad to know I’m not alone.

Actually, I always thought that Cars had the best opportunity for a sequel, except perhaps the Incredibles. I just hope they decide to make it a “journey” film. One of the flaws of Cars was that, for anthropomorphic vehicles, they spend a lot of the movie in one place. Some kind of Road Trip would be good…

As to the quality of the film, it’s a shade too early to discuss that. I’m witholding judgement until Toy Story 3 comes out, and establishes Pixar’s reputation when it comes to sequels, for better or worse.

Also, it’s nice to see Billy Connolly doing some voice work. Now if Pixar could only getting round to hiring Stephen Fry and/or Liam Neeson…

Okay. First of all, I’d be lying if I say that I am not worried about Cars 2. Don’t get me wrong, Cars was a masterpiece in my opinion (despite being Pixar’s “least best” film), but its ending really wrapped everything up for me, similar to what another poster said (This is the same sort of feeling that I would get if George Lucas ever announces that he’s making Star Wars: Episode VII - everything’s so neatly wrapped up that you somehow don’t want it to be touched again). However, it’s still too early to tell what the actual premise will be, and I absolutely hope that they’re not making this film just because Disney is pressuring them to.

The movie that I’m most excited about would still have to be Up. It sounds like it will be a very emotional film (but at the same time, humorous).

As for newt, its premise actually does sound similar to that of WALL-E, but again, it’s way too early to tell - maybe this is just a rough premise. The premise for The Bear and the Bow also seems to be too general at the moment.

Considering that Pixar hasn’t faltered yet (hopefully, they will never falter), I trust that they can make something brilliant out of each of these premises, so I’ll have to wait until the movies are actually released before passing any judgment. :slight_smile:

PS

By the way, will the Pixar movies, starting from Up, be released in 3D exclusively, or will they be released both in 3D and … err… in the “normal” way (I guess you can say 2D if you like)? I’m actually hoping that it’s the latter…

My thoughts on why various movies get approved and considered…

The pressure for Cars 2 doesn’t come from Disney, it comes from the movie makers. First and foremost, Pixar is very respectful of the attachments that the original directors and producers have towards “their” characters. Therefore, those people are the ones who are going to be tapped when it comes to sequels. As much as we’d like to see Incredibles 2, it’s not foremost on Brad’s mind at the moment. Same with Pete Doctor and Monsters 2, or Andrew Stanton with Nemo 2. If another director has a vision for a sequel, they get to sell that to JL and the creators of the first movie, and if they all see eye to eye and the creators of the first movie decide they’d rather see the newcomer take the reigns than themselves… then that’s how a sequel will get approved.

Of all the directors who have had theatrical Pixar releases, John Lassater is the one least likely to direct another movie, thanks to the many jobs he already has. And thus, he’s the only Pixar director so far who has given his projects over to other people – Lee Unkrich with Toy Story 3, and Brad Lewis with Cars 2. I also have the suspicion that JL is the director with the greatest desire to see his characters live on in new adventures, while Pete, Andrew, and Brad Bird might take more of the attitude that it would have to be a pretty spectacular idea/script to convince them to head back to their earlier films and that a sequel is warrented. I’m not saying John doesn’t feel that way as well; they all have very high standards. But I think he’s looking more actively for sequel possibilities than the others.

It’s not like you have a director looking for work, and he picks an idea off the top of the pile and runs with it. That’s how Disney sequels were made in the Eisner era, and we saw how those passionless efforts turned out. The Cars sequel was approved because Brad Lewis had an idea of how a Cars sequel could work, and worked with John on it until John felt it was good enough to go ahead with. If this was simply a “Disney wants sequels” thing… do you know how much money a Monsters 2 or Incredibles 2 would make, regardless of the quality? The Cars 2 project is going forward not because of a business executive fiat, but because people with energy and passion for the work want to make the movie and think they can do it in a spectacular manner.

And to me, that’s a very comforting thought.

Cars 2 is supposed to be an international one? Could be interesting. It probably won’t pick up where Cars left off then. I dunno. I just hope the story is good. And probably no DRH…they should have focused on them. They are so insanely popular.

Thanks to whoever posted this topic. Because A113 is now running arond our house yelling Cars 2! Cars 2! Yes! Yes! Yes! it’s starting to annoy me even though it is exciting.

If any of these are released in only 3D, I’m going to scream into the Grand Canyon with rage!

Those glasses are the most annoying things ever, and if you wear them for too long, you can get seizures! Eithe that, of Disney’s trying to hypnotize people again. :laughing:

:open_mouth:

We are getting information from different sources. Does this confirm the release of these films? and what about 1906, I see no mention of that film from these sources.

I don’t think they’d be that stupid. Not every city makes their theaters 3D-compatible (at least that’s how it is for me, and I live in a pretty big city), and there are some people that physically can’t watch 3D and perceive it as such. And, as you pointed out, there are medical issues that would really screw things up if these movies were released in ONLY 3D.

Well, that’s a lot of official announcements for only one day. What happened to them ? :mrgreen:

Anyway, I have a good feeling for these upcoming movies. There’s only one thing right now : I guess we won’t have a Pizza Planet Truck in The Bear and the Bow :laughing:

I have a feeling Disney pushed Pixar into a Cars sequel because they invested millions into the new Cars area at DCA and into merchandising (just like disney to ruin a franchise with a sequel that only a producer would direct), The Bear and the Bow sounds like a Disney princess movie that they gave to Pixar because they already had too much projects in the works (which now is the Dreamworks style of two animated films in one year), and for the first time ever, I’m worried about Pixar.

I think the Disney influence could potentially ruin them, like they have themselves, with horrible features and cheap-quels to their good ones.

Pixar Animation Studios = Disney Animation Studios 2
(After UP it looks like this may be Disney’s intentions, which is not a good thing!)

Don’t let them boss you around Lasseter, what’s good for the stock holders is not always good for your fans, and you may be the next Dreamworks!

I’m quite pleased to hear a Cars sequel but on the other hand disappointed by the fact that they aren’t working on sequels such as The Incredibles and Monster Inc. I think that Cars 2 going International is going to attract a lot audience, like Ratatouille attracted a lot of French and Finding Nemo attracted a lot of Australian viewers. The reason why Cars was a flop in Pixar’s eye is because they over glamorized NASCAR (no offence to NASCAR fans) which is sport, not most of the world watch. I think that is the reason why Cars didn’t attract a wide audience, but on a merchandise scale it did excellent.

Here’s another source
[url]http://www.hemscott.com/news/latest-news/item.do?newsId=62865436388371[/url]

Found another soruce
[url]MSN