Biggest Animated Film This Summer CARS 2 vs PANDA 2

I agree with Virginia that Kung Fu Panda is much more suited for a sequel, I for one thought that Cars wrapped up nicely on it’s own, and a sequel is somewhat uncessesary (I’m still excited to see the sequel, mind you)

However, to answer the original topic, which of the two films will be bigger, we need to look at the main demographic for both movies.

As much as people try to deny it, both of these movies are aimed for an audience for children, as far as marketing goes. Yes, adults can enjoy the movies too, and they do.

But a lot of adults with children don’t have as much obsession with animated films as members on these boards do, and we need to keep in mind that they’re not going to take their children to see a movie because “this one is more suited for a sequel”. That’s not the main factor.

First off, let me say that I love both franchises equally. So I’m 90% sure that I’ll be seeing both movies in cinemas and Pixar and Dreamworks are getting my money this year.

I’m not sure whether any of them will be released in IMAX, but I am tempted to see it if it’s in 2D. I don’t really buy the 3D hype because the glasses tend to polarise the image and make it darker and less rich (something I noticed with Avatar and LOTG). Oh, how I pine for the day when they release 3D cinema screens sans glasses like the Nintendo 3DS.

Of the two, I’d probably watch Cars in IMAX if it gets a release. I find flight and aerial sequences like the Hong Kong scenes from The Dark Knight or the ‘Test Drive’ sequence from How to Train Your Dragon really make use of the larger screen format. I can imagine how spectacular the race scenes in Cars would look… like you were right in the grandstand seats! Not to mention the steady-tracking, large-scale action scenes like the airport chase and whatnot. Kung Fu Panda… maybe, but it might be headache inducing from all the weird camera angles and upside down kung-foowery, judging from the first movie. ;-o

And yes, I agree that Cars was self-contained and didn’t necessitate a sequel. Kung Fu Panda, like the wuxia epics of yore, can be continued indefinitely. :slight_smile:

Woah, my whole last post was in italics. :frowning:

Anyways, I atill want to see both, like you, TDIT. I’m just a little more ecstatic for a Panda sequel, because I was secretly hoping for one. For Cars, however, I would have never anticipated a sequel, had I not already known it was coming out. Know what I mean? And I’ll see both in 2D. 3-D gives me a head ache. :shake:

In all honesty, and please don’t kill me for saying this, none of those films are very worthy of sequels IMO. Both films were pretty decent but not sequel deserving, and I’m not completely won over by the idea of it having a 2 movie. Still, given that it is PIXAR, I voted for Cars 2.

I see where you’re coming from, PB. However, I loved Panda so much, nd was sooo underwhelmed by the ending. :frowning: When I finished, I was secretly praying for a continuation. :laughing:

Hmmmm… I like both of the original films. I think I’ve paid more attention to Cars 2, but that’s just because there seems to be more information for it. Pixar have been more consistently good than Dreamworks, but Dreamworks have made several very good films, and seem to be getting more consistent.

Yeah, I’m not too happy about the whole six Panda movies thing. I think that they could pull it off if they set up a proper story arc though, making sure that each movie’s storyline had a reason to exist.

It’s too hard for me to choose at the moment! I liked Cars and KFP a lot so… no vote at the moment :slight_smile:

Ok. Let me see. I’m looking at the release dates, and I think KFP2 will hold the box office top from May 27-June 24 When Cars 2 is released. Cars 2 will hold the top for the next 6 weeks at least.
That’s my prediction.

Now. I know some people like KFP 2 and personally, it intrigues me slightly, but hear me out here.

KFP 2 Synopsis:
From the studio that brought you “Shrek,” “Madagascar” and “Kung Fu Panda.” Po is now living his dream as The Dragon Warrior, protecting the Valley of Peace alongside his friends and fellow kung fu masters, The Furious Five - Tigress, Crane, Mantis, Viper and Monkey. But Po’s awesome new life is threatened by the emergence of a formidable villain, who plans to use a secret, unstoppable weapon to conquer China and destroy kung fu. It is up to Po and The Furious Five to journey across China to face this threat and vanquish it. But how can Po stop a weapon that can stop kung fu? He must look to his past and uncover the secrets of his mysterious origins; only then will he be able to unlock the strength he needs to succeed.

KFP 1 Synopsis:
Enthusiastic, big and a little clumsy, Po is the biggest fan of kung fu around…which doesn’t exactly come in handy while working every day in his family’s noodle shop. Unexpectedly chosen to fulfill an ancient prophecy, Po’s dreams become reality when he joins the world of kung fu and studies alongside his idols, the legendary Furious Five—Tigress, Crane, Mantis, Viper and Monkey—under the leadership of their guru, Master Shifu. But before they know it, the vengeful and treacherous snow leopard Tai Lung is headed their way, and it’s up to Po to defend everyone from the oncoming threat. Can he turn his dreams of becoming a kung fu master into reality? Po puts his heart — and his girth —into the task, and the unlikely hero ultimately finds that his greatest weaknesses turn out to be his greatest strengths.

You have to admit. They sound pretty similar.

I see what you mean, I never noticed until they were put right next to each other.

I’m more excited for Cars 2, but I’m definitely going to see Kung Fu Panda 2, it doesn’t help that none of my friends believe that Kung Fu Panda 2 is even being coming out.
But I think Cars 2 will be the biggest animated film of the summer, it seems pretty popular. I mean they are always selling Cars merchandise and I know quite a lot of people that like Cars. But you never know. Kung Fu Panda 2 might be bigger. I don’t think it will, but it might be.

I’m going with Cars 2 and not just because I’m biased either. I just think that Cars 2 will probably make more money (hence, be ‘bigger’) than KFP 2

I’m equally looking forward to both movies. Even though Dreamworks is gonna milk KFP to death like they did with Shrek. And sadly they’re gonna do the same with HTTYD :frowning:

This is how I feel right now. :slight_smile: I agree with Nausicaa; if they can make all 6 movies decent, and they all make sense together, I don’t care. KFP is like The Incredibles to me. I would never get tired of it, as long as the story never gets lost.

Yeah, as long as they don’t deviate from the source too much I’m okay. I mean, Shrek the Third was an okay movie, but compared to the first one it seemed too different (despite still having a “Shrek goes on a journey to get rid of a problem in his life” plotline). I’m not sure why it seemed too different…

At the same time, I don’t want the KFP series to get too repetitive either. As long as the character development is consistent, I’m okay with it. :slight_smile:

To be honest, I’m very excited for both. THis is gonna be a great head-to-head matchup.

Nausicaa, I totally see what you mean. I hate it when sequels become like a completely different franchise, but at the same time, you don’t want them to re-hash the same story. It’s a fine line, and I think Cars 2 looks to be at a happy medium. I hope Panda 2 is, too.

I must admit that whenever Pixar announces a sequel or a film in general part of me thinks “Why?” and another “If they pull this off this is going to be really cool!” Toy Story 3 sure turned out to be, and in that franchise alone Pixar has certainly pulled it off with sequels, and I’m sure if they couldn’t think of a story line Cars 2 and the new Monsters Inc film wouldn’t be happening. Cars 2 looks alright, I’m not looking forward to it as much as I was Toy Story 3 though, Cars is by far, my least favourite Pixar film

On the other hand, Kung Fu Panda was amazing when it came out, will the sequel live up to the first film? With the Shreks it turned out to be not so true, Madagascar 2 was good but that’s because the first film wasn’t so, and I like how it redeemed itself in the sequel.

I’ll see both movies, don’t know what to think of either though, Cars 2 I’m unsure about and I can’t really judge Kung Fu Panda 2 I haven’t seen any trailers for it or anything.

Now don’t shoot me but I’d rather see KFP2. Why? Cars never appealed to me, and the sequel smells too much of a cash-in to me, what with all the merchandise. I am so sorry. It’s just… I like Pixar’s features because they can make you believe it could actually happen. And then they make a film about talking cars. :neutral_face:

I’m much more excited for Brave.

Don’t shoot me! D:

Well said Badger. Now, don’t shoot me.

grabs gun

Sorry Badger, I have to do it. For your own good.

Just Kidding!!!

I understand what you’re saying, you’re not the only person who doesn’t find Cars appealing at all, we all have different opinions!

Badger and 1997, can I throw pillows at you both instead? :stuck_out_tongue: [size=50]Filled with spiders, mwahahah[/size]

Laugh out loud, I find it amusing that declaring that one like Dreamworks movies on a Pixar fan forum immediately makes one fear persecution. :slight_smile:

I find it interesting that Pixar is trying to capitalise on its recent sequel success with Toy Story with its tagline on the latest Cars 2 poster: “From the creators of Toy Story 3”. In other words, “We made a critically and commercially-acclaimed sequel to a well-loved franchise, now watch us repeat the stunt again!”

I wonder what the Katzenberg army will cook up.

All I know is, I’ll be saving up to support Blue Sky, Pixar and Dreamworks this year! :wink: