Pixar Planet Awards 2010 - Suggestions/General Discussion

For the past two years, rachelcakes1985 and The Star Swordsman have hosted The Pixar Planet Awards, an annual event to honour the best fan-creations and members in our community for the past year. This year, I’ll be taking over Rachel’s role and co-organising with TSS, along with possibly other Mods at a later date.

Here are all of the categories for this year’s awards:

[size=125]AWARD CATEGORIES[/size]
Best Member
Best New Member of 2010
Best Pixar Planet Staff Member
Friendliest Member
Funniest Member
Most Informative Member
Best Critiquer
Member You Would Most Like to Meet in Person
Member Most Likely to Get a Job at Pixar
Craziest Pixar Fan

Best Signature
Best Avatar
Best Video
Best Pixar Fan Fiction
Best Non-Pixar Fan Fiction
Best Pixar Artwork
Best Non-Pixar Artwork

Best Video Maker
Best Graphic and Icon Artist
Best Fan Fiction Writer
Best Fan Artist
Best Original Artist

Favorite Fandom Medium

Best Game
Best Thread
Best Thread Creator

The categories for this year’s awards are pretty much finalised, but feel free to suggest any more within the next couple of weeks. Speaking of which, here’s the schedule for this year’s Awards:

[size=125]AWARD SCHEDULE[/size]

January 2 - For Your Consideration (FYC) thread opens

January 9 - Nominations begin

January 16 - FYC thread closes and nominations end

January 20 - Voting begins

January 27 - Voting ends

January 31 - Winners announced

Those dates are subject to change but we’ll try our best to adhere to them.

Feel free to discuss any aspect of the awards this year or provide feedback, suggestions, or enquiries in this thread. Please note that this is not a nomination or voting thread, we will create them at the later dates stipulated in the schedule. We will also be posting any updates or notifications here in this thread, so keep a lookout!

The For Your Consideration thread is now open! Here’s your chance to get your fanwork noticed! :wink:

Promotional ‘FYC’ sigs are also permitted to be worn, though only for your own entries. So get your Photoshop on and spread the word about your work for Nominations! :slight_smile:

There have been changes to this year’s list:

• Non-Pixar Categories for Fanfiction and Artwork are now included.

• Best Video is now an Open Category like Best Avatar and Best Sig. This means both Pixar and non-Pixar entries are accepted.

• Best Artist (Traditional) and Best Artist (Other) has been changed to Best Fan Artist (Pixar and non-Pixar) and Best Original Artist (non-fandom, original artist). This is based on members’ feedback and to reflect increasing the trend of combining digital and traditional mediums in contemporary artwork.

• Best Fan Commentary and Fan Commenter has been removed due to no new commentaries this year.

Oooo, really neat! I already have some people in mind to nominate!

Awesome!!! I totally know who should win best graphics(SoA Cough!)…

I was thinking about this last night in bed. What a crazy coincedence!

I would definitely vote Wall-ECrazy for best fandom medium! she goes to all aspects with his Fan Fiction on Wall-E!!!

sorry for the gender displacement!

Heehee, I love your enthusiasm! JustSoWall-eCrazy is a girl though.

I did so great last year and I have a really bad feeling I’m going to do horrible this year, because I made hardly any contributions to the Pixar fandom thanks to the fact that DreamWorks stole my heart this year. :frowning:

I wanted to know though, as Basil mentioned in the other thread, if we’re allowed to submit non-Pixar fan-fiction for consideration as well. Most of my better written work this year is HtTYD-related, and I didn’t put any up because I wasn’t sure if I could fit it into any of the categories. :confused:

Bleh. Well, maybe someone out there will love my non-Pixar work enough to nominate this year, and I hope I’m not hated for being such a lousy Pixar fan. Sorry, guys. .____.

little chef

Aw, you’re not a lousy Pixar fan! I think you’re great, there’s nothing wrong with liking another studios film! And I’ve enjoyed seeing your graphics here, there’s so many Pixar ones that it’s nice to see something different.

The answer I received from The Star Swordsman was that any non-Pixar fanwork (be it fanfiction, etc.) is put under the category of Best Non-Pixar Artwork. Which I suppose makes sense, though I really wanted to be considered for Best Fan Fiction Writer, even if I probably have no chance of being nominated/winning. :U

Aww, you’re too sweet, e-j-e. ;u; Thank you, that really means a lot to me. :slight_smile:

Everything just feels so different for me here on PixarPlanet as opposed to '09 when I first joined. I don’t know what it is… I was constantly writing fan fiction and making graphics and being a more integral part of the community, but I feel so out of place these days, or I feel like what I’m saying is irrelevant because my mind isn’t even on Pixar anymore, really. :frowning: It’s probably all in my head, thinking I’m a lame member or whatever, but thanks for that little ray of hope. 8’D

Basil: I just put a link to my non-Pixar art for that category and figured I should stick with artwork and not post links to both artwork and writing, because I’m under the impression you can only post one work of yours. So I’m just hoping to be nominated for best overall Non-Pixar Artist this year; artwork, writing, graphics and all. Haha. :slight_smile:

little chef

See, unfortunately, for people like me, I’m not a triple threat like you are. I write because… well, I think I can do adequate writing. See that signature down there? That’s the most I can ever hope to do in graphics. :U And you don’t even want to see me attempt to draw…

Anyway, best of luck to you and your art!

Lol, ‘triple threat’. :laughing:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! Best of luck to you, too! :slight_smile:

little chef

Best of Luck to everyone competing.

Don’t worry little chef if people are truly nice, they will judge your art and/or fanfic on it’s appearance and not it’s source material.

Don’t worry, little_chef. As others have pointed out, you can try ‘general’ categories, and the ‘Best of Non-Pixar Artwork’.

Actually, seeing the diversity of fandoms we have on this site (Tangled, HTTYD, Despicable Me, etc.), perhaps we should consider having separate categories for Non-Pixar Artwork? I’ll pose this suggestion to the Mods.

Just a friendly reminder, which I’ll quote from the past year’s Nomination rules:

Discussions of what to post in the ‘FYC’ thread and ‘strategy alignments’ (like what categories to promote yourself for) should be fine, though. :wink:

EDIT: You’re allowed to use self-promotional ‘For Your Consideration’ sigs! Refer to original post.

Well I kind of wanted you to enter myself little_chef because you seem to be generally good at what you do in terms of fanfiction.

Arkie’s own fanfiction is generally pretty funny in general, so I’m considering drawing them to it as well to see if they’re interested. (Just showing them the thread that is).

I kind of wonder though if everyone will actually know about the competition though, I don’t know if this particular part of Pixar Planet gets that much attention compared to other parts of the forums. Though TDIT’s sig may help.

I think I will pass on the awards this year… For entering myself, I mean, not voting. The only category I fit in right now is non-Pixar art, and I have a feeling my work is either too traditional/boring or too depressing (the stuff I haven’t posted, I mean). I rarely do fan art… :frowning:

I was wondering if there was gonna be a awards this year! I probably won’t win though, I never win anything. I already know who to nominate for a few of these categories, though.

Yikes, the Best New Member category is going to be really close. I didn’t even notice some of you guys where new this year! Hey, maybe we could do it Oscar style and have ten nominees. Ehh? Any Takers? No? Okay. :~o

Chuckles, We’d need like 50 nominees for me to make it. We’ve been getting like half a million new users per week.

^ Exactly. There have been a lot of amazing people join in like the last 3 months, so I think I won’t vote on that area. :laughing:

I feel really bad about even posting in the consideration thread. It seems very…egotistical to me. Especially since so many people post such better stuff!!! I feel really bad now. :frowning: