WALL•E Soundtrack

Not looking at the track list, not looking at the track list, will resist spoilers…

I personally like the cover art. I think it’s cool.

Almost 40 tracks! Yay!

40 tracks? Now that’s more like it.

The problem with Thomas Newman’s 40 tracks OSTs is, that all tracks are very short (1 - 2 minutes). :frowning:

When do you think we’ll actually be able to hear the tracks? They should have samples available on BMGmusic, Amazon, or somewhere sometime before the release, right? I CAN’T WAIT!!!

Anybody hear that screechy two-note climactic music in the trailer when the space ship is flying around and landing? Awesome! You can listen to a cute WALL-E type theme on Disney’s page too.

~Sarah

You can purchase the “Down to Earth” single by Peter Gabriel from the iTunes Store, at least in the US. This probably means that the soundtrack should be available for pre-order soon on iTunes.

I’ve downloaded it, and it sounds good!

lyrics! lyrics! :smiley:

[spoil][share! share! :smiley: :smiley:][/spoil]

I have removed the link to the song, and I have deleted the file from RapidShare. Please delete this post if I am also not allowed to post the lyrics.

Here are the lyrics:

[spoil]“Down to Earth” - Peter Gabriel

Did you think that your feet had been bound
by what gravity brings to the ground
Did you feel you were tricked by the future you picked
Well come on down
All these rules don’t apply when you’re high in the sky
So come on down
Come on down

CHORUS:
We’re comin’ down to the ground
There’s no better place to go
We’ve got snow upon the mountains
We got rivers down below

We’re comin’ down to the ground
Hear the birds sing in the trees
And the land would be the ______(Captains’?)
and the seeds down in the roots

Did you think you’d escaped from routine
By changing the script and the scene
Despite all you made of it
You’re always afraid of the change

You got a lot on your chest
Well you can come as my guest
So come on down
Come on down

CHORUS

Like the fish in the ocean
We felt at home in the sea
We learned to live off the good land
We learned to climb up the tree
And we got up on two legs
But we wanted to fly
And when we messed up our homeland
Six set off of for the sky

CHORUS

We’re comin’ down (down)
Comin’ down to earth (down)
Like babies at birth (down)
Comin’ down to earth (down to the earth)
and when we climb ______?
these are extraordinary qualities

(down)
(down)
(down to the earth)

CHORUS (x2)[/spoil]

There are a couple of words I couldn’t understand due to distortion and instruments being loud during those vocals.

I looked at all the titles for the soundtrack on Amazon, and… is this a spoiler?

[spoil]Based on the first song title, I predict the movie will open unexpectedly with a track of Michael Crawford (more notably cast as “The Phantom” from the original Phantom of the Opera) singing “Put On Your Sunday Clothes”, with camera stills of a barren wasteland – earth – leading to a shot of a tv screen playing Hello, Dolly! when Wall-E makes his first appearance. Who else has that hunch?[/spoil]

And
[spoil]Then Michael Crawford reappears (filmmakers being careful not to use Streisand’s famous voice) at the last song before the end credits. What a nice way to tie up the film, right? I’m downloading those two songs today so it can revive some familiarity during the movie. I think this is a beautiful and nostalgic way of connecting humanity to a Sci-Fi story! It’s a first for Pixar as well.[/spoil]

Who’s with me? lol
Edit: Thank you thank you thank you vivniko!!
2nd Edit: cough Forget Limewire.

~Sarah

thank you very much!

it’s nice, but I don’t like the refrain.
good arrangements, but few melody…

anyway, i’ll listen it again these days…

PIXAR PLANET ADMINSTRATORS: Please DELETE the posts by Vivniko with a link to the Peter Gabriel song for free download on rapidshare (there are a few, discussing where to download it on both rapidshare and livewire).

I can’t believe I’m seeing this here.

First of all, it’s against PixarPlanet’s rules (see the “We’re not Pirates” section).

Second, it’s REALLY BAD FORM.

Vivinko, Elikrotupos and FunnyGirl: would you also feel just fine uploading the entire movie for everyone to download if you had it available?

I happen to be one of the musicians who worked on the soundtrack (I spent the last few months posting on the scoring process for Wall-E here on Pixar Planet in the Composer Speculation area) – but even if I wasn’t, what you’re doing is stealing and illegal, plain and simple. There is NO grey area here. It’s not like the song isn’t available for purchase. What is it, 99c or something? What you’re doing is simply giving away other people’s very hard work for free. Vivniko, I have no idea of your age, but if you are old enough to hold a job, I wonder how you’d feel if your manager decided to give your hard-earned paycheck for the week to his girlfriend instead, just because he could.

I’m sure there’s nothing I can say to change your mind. Even if the link is removed here, you can, of course, go ahead and post it everywhere else on the internet, as if musicians don’t need to be paid for the work they do. So we should spend our entire lives practicing and working hard to compose and perform the pieces you like – and then be happy while you then go and give it all away to others for free?

It amazes me how people think they’re doing nothing wrong. I have no problem with people buying a song and doing whatever they want with it for their own private use (converting it, putting it on other formats, etc). But to place it up on the internet and tell people “here, steal it for free if you don’t feel like spending the 99c to buy it” is pretty low.

If you’re not a musician I doubt you’ll ever understand. Maybe (and I don’t wish this) at some point in your future you’ll have someone stiff you and cheat you out of something. Maybe then you’ll have some idea.

Please remove the link.

I have removed the links and deleted the file.

Thank you, miafka, for correcting my horrible mistake. And thank you for the enlightening perspective and explanation. I will only correct you in one way - you say that there is nothing you can say to change my mind. However, your clear and straightforward explanation is enough to help me see this issue from a new angle. I have removed all the files. I will not post the song elsewhere, and I will not do anything like this in the future.

I apologize to Pixar Planet and the forum moderators for my blatant disregard for the policies. I will review Pixar Planet’s rules again to make sure I do not make a mistake like this again or worse. If the moderators decide to ban me, then I would completely understand.

For those of you Pixar Planet readers in the US, I encourage you to check out the wonderful song at the iTunes store. It is a great song, and I can’t wait to hear it when I see WALL•E many times in the theater this summer.

Thank you once again, miafka, for taking the time and having the patience to put this into perspective for me with such a well thought-out explanation.

My sincerest apologies.

I’d like to reiterate one our most important rules…

We don’t want Pixar Planet to be shut down, and it’s disrespectful to everyone who has worked on the related piece of material.

Yikes… :open_mouth:

Anyway, I’ll probably wait until after I see the movie before purchasing the song, or listening to it on the soundtrack… It reminds me of when Disney used to release actual songs (with lyrics) that went along with their movies. I hope this has a film clip (do they even still make film clips for movie singles these days?)

Vivniko,
Thank you for removing the link and the file. If I sounded heavy-handed it’s because I’ve spent my life in music… it’s what I do – and everywhere I look, I see people helping others to simply steal our work. Even worse is that most people don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. I’m not talking about the 10% that will pirate everything anyway… I’m talking about the other 90% that, in other areas of their life are decent people – yet see nothing wrong with taking other people’s work and giving it away to others for free if that work happens to be music. Heck, even WE have to buy our own CDs ourselves, you know (I have the soundtrack on preorder from Amazon right now).

I appriciate you taking the file down, and thank you for understanding. You’re one of the few I’ve come across on the net who has.

For those who live outside the US: if the song isn’t available internationally on itunes yet, it’s only a matter of time.

rachelcakes1985:
What do you mean by a film clip?

miafka - Film clip = music video. :wink:

(The term I use doesn’t even make sense, I know).

I was wondering, is it alright to post the music on one of those flash driven players? The ones where you can’t download it to your computer, only listen, and then at the end it says “to download the song, please visit (insert store name)?”.

I was just wondering because preview clips don’t do it for me. If I’m going to pay for a song I need to know what the whole thing sounds like (the preview could just be the best part for all you know).

Just asking :wink:

I was wondering, is it alright to post the music on one of those flash driven players? The ones where you can’t download it to your computer, only listen, and then at the end it says “to download the song, please visit (insert store name)?”. I was just wondering because preview clips don’t do it for me. If I’m going to pay for a song I need to know what the whole thing sounds like (the preview could just be the best part for all you know).

Sigh. Don’t take this personally, but…
Why is it that people think it’s ok to steal it’s MUSIC?

I’m going to ask you your question back to you, changing just one thing:
Would you consider it OK to post the entire movie of Wall-E online in a non-downloadable player allowing everyone in the world to see the whole thing without ever paying for it? – to help them “decide” whether to go see it in a theatre? There’s absolutely NO difference between doing this and doing what you asked about. After all, movie trailers usually show the best parts. Your question is basically asking if it’s OK to post the entire Wall-E movie online to help people decide if they then want to go out and pay money to see it again. That’s your question – except substitute music for movie. What do you think the answer is?

As a musician, it’s the ultimate mud in our face to see someone posting our music online and giving it away free to everyone. And it only happens (in huge numbers) with music. People who work in retail stores don’t go around posting online the lock combinations to the stores they work at so that anyone who wants to can then break in and steal a TV, do they?

Posting complete ANYTHING online without the author’s or owner’s permission is wrong. You wouldn’t want your ipod stolen and given away, would you? Or someone post the comibnation to your locker at school so anyone can just go and steal your stuff.

People know what’s right and what’s not if they spend 30 seconds to think about it. If someone wants to take a baseball bat and smash someone else’s car window, whatever I say won’t stop them from doing so. If someone wants to take someone else’s property that they bought for themselves, and then make it available for the entire world to steal for free, what else can you say?

I remember reading this once: that the true measure of someone is what they do when no one’s looking.

Music video…
Ah… I don’t know if there was a music video made for it (probably was, but don’t know, sorry).

I’m really sorry about it too, Miafka, and I’ll buy the Wall-E soundtrack this summer to own it. Actually, it’s something that’s been on my mind a lot since I’m a Christian and I’m stringently against stealing outside of the internet, which is totally inconsistent. I think the ease and accessibility, not to mention the popularity of doing it has expedited free MP3 download hordes, when the truth is that everyone would rather have the CD with the case, lyrics, pictures, and legality.

Stopping to think about it is the one thing people will always procrastinate, whether it be about life after death or habitual lying. I know this is a rule-bender, but what about library DVDs that you can watch to determine if you want to buy the movie? Isn’t that the same thing as watching a streaming video? Same with library CDs. Then there’s publicly broadcast movies that you can legally tape to a DVD (not sell). :question:

Thanks for laying down the groundwork of right and wrong; hearing it spoken is a real eye-opener!

~Sarah

I’m so sorry too, but i thought it was clear that my “encouragement” to share was a joke (it was in spoiler tag and with two smilies). Anyway i downloaded it not because the 99 cents was too much but because i’m not in the U.S. (as my bad english demonstrates) and because when it will be available in my country i will obviously but everything connected to WALL-E (i just bought the artbook, i’ll buy the soundtrack, i’ll see it more than once in cinema, i’ll buy the best dvd edition, ecc… like i’ve always done with Pixar and other of my favourite movies).
I’m fine with my conscience but i know it’s against the rules (and of course against the law), so if someone thinks this is my fault I sincerly apologize.

miafka: i respect your work. I’m not a musician but a lot of my relatives are, anyway I think that spreading the knowledge for free is a right of anyone who wants to Know to understand the world where he lives, and i believe this principle doesn’t collide with copyright. There’s a lot to say, but it is off-topic. And, of course, it is my humble opinion, and i wouldn’t want that this great forum had trouble for it.

I, sincerly, apologize again-