WALL•E coming to Blu-ray and DVD on November 18th

martini

ahhh…thought so.

Oh well at least it will have the movie

Al-Bob- That’s just speculation, but it’s the most likely scenario considering the last two DVD releases. We’ll know for sure in a week when they announce the special features and such.

Mixed thoughts. Incredibly mixed thoughts.

On one hand, I’m very happy that we have an official release date. Putting te money aside. Counting the days. The cover looks great. Blah blah blah.

On the other hand, I am so sick of Disney being greedy and stupid with their DVD releases that my happiness is pretty much watered down.

We are in an ECONOMIC SLUMP. Bluray players are EXPENSIVE. Any company expecting the world to jump ship with them so quickly, especially at a time like this, has their head completely up in the clouds and needs a serious reality check. I was hoping Disney would get one by the release of WALL-E, and I could have my precious commentary back, but it looks like they’re too busy thinking about their rich consumers to have any concern for the rest of us. So I don’t matter because i don’t have 300-500 bucks to cough up? Plus the bluray discs? I’m not worth a extra disc, even if I’m willing to pay a little more for it Disney? Huh?

But I don’t know why I’m acting surprised. This is the same company who cancels even popular shows on cliffhangers because they have enough to syndicate. The same company who charges ridiculous prices for concert tickets simply because they can get away with it. The same company who rips the heart out of everything through sequels to the point of starting to force Pixar into it But Pixar will get Toy Story 3 to be good. I believe in them). The same company who pumps up the mediocre because they can get money without doing any better than that, and millions listen to them. MILLIONS.

I know this sounds like a lot of rant over a DVD, but I’ve been at the end of a lot of the stuff I listed above, and the end hit me hard, and I am so sick of it.

Disney, for once in such a long time, please let your marketing group show some heart with this DVD. I’ll be praying for that.

Sorry, having a bit of brainfart here- I’m assuming this release date is for American release only? Just double checking.

lizardgirl- Yup. :slight_smile:
Netbug009- It’s not all Disney marketing, Pixar and John Lasseter have lots to do with it, they’re trying to bring you the best audio/video quality, and I’m ok with it. To quote Lee Unkrich: “We’re all complete geeks here at Pixar… We want to make sure you have a really cool experience”
I know it’s devastating for now, but when you actually get a Blu-ray player (and you will eventually) you’ll see the wait was worth it. Think about the transition from VHS to DVD, staying that way is only a step back. The transition is hard, but what transition isn’t?

Giving Blu-ray release more (exclusive) additional features than DVD is simply promoting the new format. All the big movie studios do that. And I like it.

Disc 2 of the blu-ray is the digital copy for ipods. Just think about it, most people who have a blu-ray (at least from what I know) it’s simply a stand alone blu-ray player and/ or a PS3. Nothing that’s compatible with uploading to a ipod. Right now there’s very few drives for computers that are Blu-ray (And as a die hard Apple guy, I hate how there’s not one single BD drive that’ll even work). So, it must be a DVD disc and not a BD disc.

Plus, considering that most of the production featurettes, etc. will be tied to the Cine-Explore commentary, it’s extremely unlikely that the bonus material will be over there.

Digital copies are on DVD discs.

I’m pretty sure that second disc is for additional features. Digital copy will be on third disc.

“The Nightmare Before Christmas” Blu-ray release, for example, also has digital copy but on the cover it doesn’t say “2-disc”, it just has “disney file” logo.

Oh boy, I can’t wait for it! I love the cover. It would make a great Thanksgiving Present.

Great news, but I too wonder when it’s due out in Region 2 …

“Narnia: Prince Caspian” Blu-ray release will have uncompressed 7.1 PCM surround sound. I’m sure that Disney will do the same with Wall•E. And if they do that, they need another disc for extra features, because uncompressed 7.1 sound takes a lot of disc space.

Also, Narnia Blu-ray release will have two sets: 2-disc release without the digital copy and 3-disc release with digital copy. They might do the same with Wall•E

Should be something like:
UK: 24th November 2008
Spain: December 2008
France: 13th January 2009

So what is going to be on the Blu-ray that won’t be on the DVD? I’m getting confused.

I think I’m just going to get the Blu-ray and start my collection now. MIght as well. But then if I wanted to watch it at school, I won’t be able to because I’d need a Blu-ray player AND a tv to go with it since it won’t work on my computer. GAH. It’ll be worth the good quality and extra bonus features.

i feel your pain Le-chockalate (ohh that sounds frenchy) :laughing:
…well not really but i do understand your problem.

Get Both!

I think my parents are going to get the blu-ray WALL-E, but they might get the DVD for me cause I make MVs and just incase they want me to switch.

That’s actually what I’m thinking about doing! Haha! That way you can be sure you’re getting the full treatment!

Has the DVD cover art been realeased yet? I hope the DVD will have a two-disc release with a digital copy for my iPod considering that WALL-E is my favorite movie! But I will be furious of Disney decides to release special features exclusively on the bluray disc. Whoever it was that stated that bluray players were too expensive was right, I mean who in the right mind would spend $500+ on a more expensive “DVD” player that was made to suck up our consumer dollars not to mention that bluray discs alone usually cost $30+ so they really should include all the special features on both formats. Also how do they know that more information will be released on August 22?

Of course there will be exclusive Blu-ray content. They are promoting the format and standard DVD cannot have features like picture-in-picture commentary, JAVA games, web features, etc.

They’ll also be promoting Blu-Ray by putting features on there that used to be on a normal DVD release such as audio commentary, tons of making-ofs, and other cool stuff… =(

Highly likely - remember who we’re dealing with here, ie the money-grabbing Di$ney mega-corporation.