WALL-E Box Office!

I care for the same reason a parent cares about whether or not their child’s team wins a little league game; because I love it.

I heard that Wall-e had a 180 milliion dollar budget (the highest of any Pixar film) and the more money it makes, the bigger budgets future Pixar films have. This means more quality in there films. Also the higher grossing, the more bragging rights Pixar has.

According to Wikipedia, the current total gross is around $90 mil, but the large majority of that is in the USA, as it hasn’t opened elsewhere yet. I hope that it is as successful elsewhere as it is here. Those involved certainly deserve the pride of their hard work paying off many times over.

Here are the estimates for the Independence Day weekend:

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wall-e.htm

Weekend final totals are in.

Wall-e got $32,509,203 Friday to Sunday, with it’s current domestic total at $127,196,028. Not bad numbers at all. However, it is almost a million less than was estimated and $6-8 million less than the $38-40 million that was predicted for Wall-e’s second weekend. So, unfortunately, Wall-e’s Box Office gross is dropping faster than expected. However, nearly all of the top 10 movies this week got less than was predicted. I read an article that blamed this on the 4th of July being on a Friday this year. Apparently the 4th isn’t usually a popular movie-watching day. So all of Friday’s numbers were down.

Still, Wall-e’s second weekend sadly dropped 48.5% from the first, which is one of the biggest second weekend drop for any Pixar movie. Hopefully Wall-e recovers from this and has a much smaller drop next week (I’m hoping for a $23-24 million third weekend, just down $8-9 million from week two). However, originally I was predicting a $260-280 million total, and now I’m only expecting it to gross about $20 million more than Ratatouille (about $220-230).

As a side note, Hancock made $62.6 million, much less than was estimated or predicted, and falling $400,000 behind Wall-e’s opening weekend, so Wall-e is still the third biggest opening weekend of the year (behind Indiana Jones and Iron Man).

Good point on the 4th being on a Friday. Most people are out blowing stuff up :slight_smile:
But hopefully it will recover a bit. It wont be a total loss for Wall-E, it has made the noise to the people who have seen it, the best reviews are by word of mouth. Just wait till it hits shelves…crazy times then!

Not sure I’m fully convinced about that July 4th argument. Ratatouille did much better WALL-E did last year on the 4th.

I really just think that Hancock wasn’t the blockbuster that Transformers was, which I think hurt the movie business all around. It’s always good to be surrounded by movies that bring people into the theaters.

This weekend is not going to be great at bringing people in either. The Dark Knight is the next real blockbuster I see coming that can help.

It must be remembered that there’s been talk of a recession on the horizon for quite a while now. People are spending their money much more carefully now, and things like going to the cinema are becoming more of a luxury. So, in a way, I’m not surprised that generally the movie business isn’t doing as well as usual, but WALL-E is still making some pretty impressive numbers nonetheless.

Lizardgirl you made a very valid point, that could be one explanation and I’m more willing to buy into that one. And I do agree that Hancock might not have been the blockbuster Transformers was…I can see the correlation

I hope that Disney/Pixar don’t see this as a failure on the part of WALL-E, because I’d say that it’s the not only the best Pixar film and the best Disney film, but, in my opinion, one of the best films ever (and my absolute favorite).

I doubt they will. Think of the sales the movies will make once the DVD/BR hit the shelves…

$4.5 million today. Good number actually. I hope it stays up for the week. There’s a lot of family-friendly competition on the horizon so it will need as much money as it can get now.

Go see it again guys! I’ve seen it four times now and it gets better with each viewing. I’m not crazy by the way, friends of mine wanted to see it so I decided to tag along with them.

I try and use that excuse. I loved it the second time I saw it. [spoil]Maybe seeing WALL-E and EVE fall in love just gets better and better each time, persoanlly I love it[/spoil]
I cant count the times I’m going to watch it once it comes out

Tuesday total, around $4.4 million, bringing its US total to around $136 million. Still holding up pretty well!

Keep spreading the good word. I hope this can make at least the same amount as Cars did. It sure has a good shot.

I’ve seen it three times, and I could see it again. What’s crazier? Seeing a whole bunch of movies you don’t necessarily like or seeing a great movie multiple times?

I certainly know that Disney won’t see it as a failure. Have you been to any Toy stores lately? the racks where wall-e toys SHOULD be are just obliterated. Like Cars, I think the merch for this movie will be very lucrative.

And I can’t imagine Pixar themselves saying a film of their own is a failure.

Actually in many places they are claiming it is their best to date. And A lot of critics agree. Its hard to imagine that something this big would be considered a “failure”

:laughing: True. But I personally haven’t done it before. Most times I’ll see a movie in a theater is twice. WALL-E just really struck a chord with me. It’s my favorite Pixar movie.

And I don’t think WALL-E will be considered a failure. I think it’s possible people could be “disappointed” because expectations were sky-high for this movie box-office-wise (I’ve heard upwards of $300 million domestic). I’m sure there will be some sort of disappointment from Pixar if WALL-E makes less than Kung Fu Panda (I would be). But it will be far from a failure.

Agreed. The movie only gets better when watched multiple times.
It might have just been a bad weekend for release. Sometimes you can get around it. But even so, life goes on. You’ll see the pick up in release sales

i have a feeling (and it disgusts me) that many people wont see the movie because they believe it’s a kids movie, and dont realize pixar’s genius is so that people of all ages can enjoy it for the same and different reasons. my sister refuses to see it because she thinks it’s stupid, and i’m sad because she’ll miss a true gem amongst all movies. on the other hand, my brother sees almost every movie i see, and i told him he’ll wake up roped to a theater chair in a wall-e screening, and just for his stubborness i’ll stick the soda straw just out of reach of his immobile head. it can get real hot in there, hehehe… :wink: