The Art of little_chef (and her sis)

red - Ha! Now that’s an interesting, yet plausible, take on a film. The thematic material of Juno does seem to pair up nicely with that of Auguste’s and Renata’s rather fuzzy relationship, so I can certainly see something like that happening. :laughing:

I’m loving the attention to detail, character anatomy, and rendering in/of this particular composition. The way you’ve shaded such features as Renata’s hair and Auguste’s clothes (the latter of which is wonderfully baggy in contrast to Gusteau’s personality) is awesome, and it looks to me as if you’ve pretty much nailed the anatomy of each individual in the drawing. (In addition, I love how much Auguste’s profile resembles that of Linguini. Heheh.)

As far as critique is concerned, I’d suggest that you take pictures of and/or look at your own hands for reference if you want to get that part of the body just right. That said, the hands that you did sketch in this piece look fine, although Auguste’s right hand could use a little bit of work, as lizardgirl stated. Other than that, great job! I think that you draw hands very well.

Once again, lovely work! Keep it up!! :smiley: :wink:

– Mitch

Really interesting idea! It looks so good, and it’s very creative of you! :smiley: I can’t really give you any advice on the hands, because I’m not good at drawing hands, either (just follow the tips of lizardgirl and Mitch, then).
I like how you designed them. I compared it with the Juno movie poster, and the positions are just right. And the way you styled Renata and Auguste look great! You’ve got an artist’s eyes, mind, and hands- that’s for sure!

Dude, that is a very creative drawing. I never thought you could combine ratatouille characters and the movie Juno at the same time.

That’s a pretty creative concept! Although I’ll never look at those movies the same way again…I love the expressions on both of them

Wow, I’ve missed a lot of great artwork lately!

My favourites are:

• M-O dated 12/8/08 (I like the eyes and his general cuteness)

• WALL-E looking sad (I like his pose of sitting down with his hands supporting him)

• AUTO “Never Back Down” (Good detail on the peripheral bits and pieces, and the “camera-shutter” eye)

• Cars Meets Robots (You just took two of my most favourite Pixar films and married them in one awesome crossover!)

• EVE dated 9/23/08 (Her arms look so cute and short!)

• Your sister’s drawings of Russell (Neat facial expressions, and the hands aren’t bad either!)

By the way, who’s “Renata” in your Juno pic? I don’t recall hearing that name in Ratatouille… :question:

Mitch - Usually I don’t like humanized depictions of Wall-E, but you can’t deny (and neither can I) that BechnoKid’s one talented natural! I’ve seen his/her works before BTW…

My apologies for intruding in on your conversation with red, but… Renata was Linguini’s deceased mother in Ratatouille. :wink:

Tell me about it. BechnoKid’s stuff is amazing – such great facial expressions and interpretations of each character’s personality. :mrgreen:

– Mitch

Mitch - Ah, cool! That explains a lot about the pic, I think we know who’s the “bun in the oven”…

thedriveintheatre - Ha-ha! The “bun in the oven”… :laughing:

– Mitch

Holy cow, guys; I’m gone for only a week and this thread suddenly explodes with replies!! :laughing: I honestly didn’t think this picture would get as much attention as it has… rather, I thought everyone was going to be a little weirded-out by it! :stuck_out_tongue: Guess I was wrong…!

Me and my sis were making up stories again (go figure!) and we ended up coming up with this random scenario on the Bridge involving AUTO and D-FIB… and I just haaad to sketch it out! :wink: So far I’m really enjoying it because I get to draw for the first time my idea of D-FIB in human form (one of the only ways I could express the emotion in the picture was to do this). If my sister says it looks awesome, then I’m gonna say it is awesome! I can’t wait to show you guys! :slight_smile:

Okay I have to say something here. I understand that Mitch was simply trying to give me some ideas by showing me a link to another talented artist’s deviantArt page, but when someone commented on their work specifically in my art thread, that kind of hurt me a bit. I know Mitch and thedriveintheatre meant absolutely no harm in this, but I just wanted to tell the truth about how I felt about it. I guess to me, it’s like commenting about your own avvies and siggys in someone else’s graphics page. :stuck_out_tongue:

With that said, I’d like to kindly ask anyone who would like to comment on BechnoKid’s art to do so in their deviantArt comment box. I would really, really appreciate that! :smiley:

Hope I get no hard feelings about this. Just wanted to clear the air. :wink: Thanks for taking the time to read this!

little chef

Sorry about that, little_chef_eva09! :blush: I guess I started it by responding to Mitch’s comment, I know it can be quite insensitive to praise other people’s work on someone’s thread, I didn’t mean it as a comparison! And no hard feelings, I totally understand where ya coming from.

So what do you think of my feedback? Do you find it useful? I’m really looking forward to the D-FIB humanisation, not many people do reject bot humans. I think it’s a girl by her female voice when she says “Clear” when they attack the Steward Bots. Just in case you weren’t aware. Can’t wait to see what situation you’ll put her and AUTO in, but I’ll bet it’ll be… shocking! (Lame pun, I know) :smiley:

TDIT: Oh yeah, I knew she was a girl… in fact, we’ve nicknamed her “Debbie.” I don’t know why… the way I’ve drawn her out kind of makes her look like a “Debbie”… :laughing: I’m glad you’re excited to see it! I was absolutely sure I was going to get a floppy response to this new endeavor of mine. (“Aww man… more humanized bots…?! Dang that little chef!” Haha.)

I really appreciate your advice and stuff, TDIT. I hope that I have been half as helpful to you in other areas, although I’m rather slow at replying to people’s artwork/graphics and such. :blush: Better get on that… haha.

I guess the underlying question of the whole picture I’m in the process of drawing is, “…Who died…?” :laugh: At least, I hope that’s the first thing people think when they see it… :laughing: lol…!

little chef

red - Whoops! Oh dear. I’m terribly sorry about that. I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings either, and I can understand how it would be demeaning. My apologies, as well. :blush:

In any case, I also look forward to this next composition of yours! It sounds very interesting. :smiley:

Ha-ha. I’m the same way. Even if my parents say that a drawing of mine looks great, I still want approval from my sister regardless.

– Mitch

Mitch: It’s perfectly fine; no harm done - just a simple misunderstanding. I’m glad we got that all cleared up… :wink:

An update: I know I promised you guys that little sketch of Debbie (D-FIB) and Alex (AUTO) a while back, but I ended up getting sidetracked with a new project. :blush: (Happens to me all the time…) I was so inspired by my sketch of Debbie that I decided to start making sketches of the rest of the rejects. :stuck_out_tongue: So far, I only have one page done (which includes only four of them… I wanted to be able to do two sketches of each, but unfortunately my paper is too small) out of three. I’m absolutely in love with them already! :smiley:

Each has their own unique personality, yet all follow a similar drawing “style” that I happened to come up with as I was drawing them. I’m not sure if I want to wait and post them all once they’re all finished, or if you would rather see each page as it is completed. Let me know. :wink:

I have a habit of coming up with names for different characters that may not have one; or do have one, but it is not necessarily a “name”. This was the case with many of the robots I decided to draw in human form. For me, giving them a name made them more personal to me and allowed me to really fall in love with them and make them my own. Here are the names I came up with for them so you’ll know who you’re looking at when you see them. :wink: (Some of the sketches will probably be more obvious than others, but what the heck… :stuck_out_tongue:)

Alex = AUTO
Bella = BRL-A (I don’t know… I always imagined BRL-A a girl…:unamused:)
Debbie = D-FIB
Eve = EVE (duh!)
Hans = HAN-S (umm… a bit obvious)
Lina = L-T (the name “Lina” means “bright”)
Mo = M-O (what’s with the redundant names here, little chef?!)
Perdita “Perdi” = PR-T
Van = VA-QM
Vincent “Vin” - VN-GO (hmm… named after anyone in particular…? :laughing:)

Disclaimer: I, in no way, shape or form, adapted any of my reinterpretations of the reject bots from the sketches of deviantArt member BechnoKid; these ideas are based solely on my mental image of the characters as humans.

Just needed to make that clear. :wink:

When I post up the pictures I’ll give a brief description of the characters as I go along. I think it’d be cool for you guys to see the type of personalities they have as humans… at least, as I have imagined them. :unamused: Hope you guys will like them.

little chef

Ooh… you got me in suspense! So you’re going to do the rest of the cast too! Well, it’s up to you how you wanna release it. Personally I’d go for a ‘staggered’ approach to give people time to comment on each piece and for more ‘exposure time’ instead of displaying all of them at once.

Laugh out loud with the disclaimer! :smiley: You don’t have to worry, you (or BechnoKid for that matter), are not the first ones to come up with Wall-E human form characters. Others did that way back with Cars and Finding Nemo! I’m sure your style will be distinctive and unique enough to call your own.

TDIT: Hey, don’t laugh at my disclaimer! :frowning: I was really serious when I said that, because the whole issue with the praise for BechnoKid was a big deal to me. Anyways… like I said, it’s out the window. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to take your advice, anyhow, and post up page 1/3 of my interpretations of the rejects (or, not-so-rejects… I’m including Eve and Alex (a.k.a. AUTO… refer to my last post :wink:)!

The rejects - Page 1-3
(click to enlarge)

A brief description of each

Hans: This kid is wired. He’s so ADD, he has to take four or five different meds for it; and even in his sleep, his muscles are continually twitching. :laughing: Just the smell of sugar or the tinest sip of coffee (or anything with caffeine in it, for that matter) will make him go completely insane. And he absolutely hates his meds.

Debbie: Unlike most of the others in the group, Debbie is down-to-earth and means business most of the time. She is constantly attending to Van, who suffers from severe allergic reactions to the sterile air environment; and making sure the others stay healthy. She doesn’t tolerate much - especially Perdi’s incessant talking on the phone. :unamused:

Bella: Normally, tall and slender Bella is quiet and relaxed, enjoying life as it comes to her. She doesn’t usually like being in the middle of the action and tends to shy away from explosive situations. However, she has the tendancy to go just as crazy as any of the others when she’s in the mood.

Mo: This little guy is constantly frustrated with the others for not keeping their cabin clean and tidy; especially at Vin for getting paint all over the floor. When he’s not in a cleaning frenzy, he’s a quiet kid who tends to observe more than he participates. Usually, he’s found following Eve around - making sure she doesn’t get into any trouble.

I am absolutely horrible at coloring in my artwork on the computer… is there anyone talented in Photoshop that would be willing to do some of these for me? I have a style going on, but I’d kind of like to see them in color - and done the right way. Haha.

So, um, yeah! :smiley: Hope you guys like 'em! Comments and critique are always appreciated. I just got done drawing my first sketch of Vin, so that means I have one more to do of him, two do to of Van, and also two to do of Perdi - then I’ll have the next page done. Also, I’ll be posting some of my sister’s artwork here soon, so keep an eye out for that. :slight_smile:

p.s.: If you want to get an idea of what I look like, I’m kind of a blend of Debbie and Bella. :wink: Think Debbie’s facial expressions with Bella’s hair and face shape, I guess… :stuck_out_tongue:

little chef

Not bad! I like your depiction of Hans (those crazy eyes!) and M-O (his upturned scowl). Debbie looks older than I would imagine her to be in human form, but she fits the nurse archetype pretty well! And Bella’s a beauty (though her nose looks a bit big, Laugh Out Loud! Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:)

I like your profile of each character. Poor Hans, I guess Coke’s a no-no for him. I chuckled at the line “Perdi’s incessant talking on the phone”. Bella’s an enigma, we don’t get much of the personality from the movie, so I couldn’t say for sure if your description fits, but I like the fact you made her “tall and slender.” And Mo is cute, I like how he’s overprotective of Eve, when it should be the opposite.

Great work, I can’t wait to see the other humanised characters!

So this would be your mugshot?

Sorry, couldn’t help giving that a go. :smiley:

Oooooo, very cool, little chef! :smiley: I really like Hans…Reminds me of a certain boy I used to know a few years back. :wink: And you really brought out that ‘disgusted’ attitude with Debbie. :smiley: And it’s really cool how Lina’s name matches her function…Reminds me of the name Luna, which is sort of related to brightness. :slight_smile:

TDIT: Whoa…That’s too funny…! 8D

Really cute little chef. Each of them are very nicely drawn. Incredible work.

Very nice personalities you’ve created there, red! Out of the four characters that you’ve drawn so far, Hans has to be my favorite… along with M-O. Those two, in particular, almost look like brothers. I wonder if they are…? :wink:

By the way, I like how you named PR-T “Perdita”. It’s such a lovely name, in my opinion, although you hardly ever hear it…

I look forward to viewing your next batch of sketches!

Heheh. I’m glad that everything is sorted out now, as well. :wink:

– Mitch

TDIT: Oh my goodness, I was just about on the floor when I saw what you did with my Bella/Debbie…!! ROFL!!! :laugh: I should have known you, of all people, would take that literally… :laughing: Yeah, it kind of does look like me… except my mouth would be a little lower on my face. :stuck_out_tongue: But still… holy crap, you had me in stitches.

JF: Thanks! :smiley: [spoil]Was that “certain boy” you mentioned Travis W., by any chance…? :wink: Miss that kid… :frowning:[/spoil] I can’t wait to show you the rest of 'em!

TSS: Why thank you! :wink: I always have a lot of fun drawing characters I made up… I guess that shows. :unamused:

Mitch: Yeah, I’d have to say Hans is my fave, too. On top of the fact that he’s rather crazy, he’s got such a sweet look to him; almost like if you could only calm him down, he’d be such a sweetheart. :stuck_out_tongue: Well, he’s not related to Mo, but coincidentally, he’s Lina’s half-brother. :laughing: (I looked up the names Lina and Hans the other day, and it turns out they’re both of German/Scandinavian origin! Isn’t that weird?!) So… yeah. Haha. (Maybe it’s the ears that would make one think Hans and Mo are brothers…?)

Before I post any more pages of my rejects (page 2 is not quite finished yet, as I have mentioned), I will post some of my sis’ stuff. That may not be until later, though. I don’t think I have them uploaded, yet… :confused:

little chef