The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn

It’s kind of a pity that we had to wait a couple months to see this after it came out in Eurpoe and all. Ah well. I don’t see this film doing well here since Tin Tin isn’t known in America. Maybe if it’s marketed as the “Must See” film of the holiday season it could cross 100M.

I hope word of mouth and the Speilberg-factor do it :wink:

I didn’t notice Rastapopolous! I did however notice:

1. That the opening credits were littered with them, like there was a Secret of the Unicorn poster on one of the walls, and the train times all read places like The Black Island and Okkators Spectre.
  2. The artist doing Tintin’s potrait resembled Herge.
  3. Not a Tintin reference, but Thompson and Thomson, played by Pegg and Frost, say something about “the job having too much paperwork” which I think was a reference to Hot Fuzz.
  4. Near the end [spoil]during the crane fight, Snowy puts his nose in a Crab Claw opium can, which is a reference to the book.[/spoil]
  5. There are place names from the books [spoil]in Bagghar as Tintin and Haddock are looking around.[/spoil]
    6.[spoil]When Thomspon and Thomson are capturing Mr Silk and he falls over, in the background you see birds from the birdcages escape.[/spoil]
    7.[spoil]When the planes start shooting at them, Captain Haddock goes on his “Ten thousand thundering typhoons!” rampage, which takes place in the desert in the book but is unfortunatly omitted from the film. It was pretty awesome still 8D[/spoil]
  6. I liked the inclusion of [spoil]Nestor and Biance Castafiore.[/spoil]

And I am also rather jealous of Archibald 8D

I agree. I still need to read some of the comics though so I know who Tin Tin is. To my knowledge, there was a cartoon of him in the 90’s or something.

Y’know, even if you don’t know who Tintin is, it’s still a pretty easy film to get into. My sister thought that Tintin was a dog and she loved it.
The cartoon is pretty faithful and perhaps a good place to start :slight_smile:. But the comics are, like most things, a lot better. They’re pretty funny aswell, although bear in mind they’re quite different to American comics. I’m feeling hopeful for Tintin in the US. Is it being well advertised? In the UK, with the exception of a poster in the cinema, there was no advertising at all until about a week before it came out, and then it was everywhere and it seemed to work. I’m always fascinated about how films are advertised… 8D

Yeah, it does look pretty good from the commercials I’ve seen. It looks like there hyping it up here in America. Maybe if the film does well here, it could make the character popular here.

I think that if The Smurfs could make it in the US, then there’s no reason Tintin couldn’t. All of the previous attempts to bring Tintin to the big screen in the past have seemed pretty halfhearted or done at the wrong time, so I’m hoping this will do it.
And, at the end of the day, well reviewed family animated film released before Christmas by critically acclaimed director? Is that going to fail, seriously?

Your right. Besides, what kind of competition does it have except Alvin and the Chipmunks and War Horse which is also from Speilberg.

It does have The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo to go up against, but the audience for that film is completely different. If Alvin makes more money than this I will be rather annoyed, and as for War Horse, I suspect that Speilberg fans will see both anyways.

I don’t think necessarily the franchise has to be known for a film to do well commercially.

I mean, except for the sequels, all Pixar films have been originals, with people knowing nothing about their plots of characters, and they still do well in the box office. Granted, they’re marketed under the successful Pixar brand, but this one is labeled as a Spielberg-Jackson film, which is as attractive.

On the other hand, I don’t think Tintin is as unknown as some people say. They may not know him in USA as much as they do in Europe, but he’s classic over there. Enough people know him, in my opinion.

Yep, I would be quite annoyed if Alvin makes more money. Especially since Alvin would be on it’s second week. I see it making about 150-175M, a big drop from the second film.

Well, isn’t the worlds highest grossing film Avatar? Which isn’t based on anything? SoA is right, :slight_smile:
And I love how you can predict box office sales Ballboi :smiley:

Thanks! For some reason I just see a big drop from what the second Alvin made domestically, which was about 215M.

It made that much?! :open_mouth:

A travesty to films…:frowning:

Yep. boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=alv … unksii.htm

Which is surprising though given the competition it went up against.

Hmm.

Back on topic, let assume this does well and Jackson makes a sequel. Which book(s)? I’ve heard Prisoner of the Sun is rumoured, but I’d like them to do the Destination Moon books.

Jackson himself confirmed that Prisoners of the Sun will be the next one.

I’ve heard that it may be otherwise:

bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15553417

Oh, well, as the writer said, “That was true a few months ago.”

Apparently something made them change their minds.

I wonder what it was! I’d love for them to introduce Rastapopolous though :slight_smile:

A favorite story-line of mine is The Cigars of the Pharaoh/The Blue Lotus one, but of course that one doesn’t have Haddock, so I doubt they’ll use it.