The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn

Yes, Spirit, I agree. I really hope this movie succeeds, as you and I are both fans of the original comic books! :wink:

I can’t wait to see this movie!!
Cast includes:

Daniel Craig-- Red Rackham
Andy Serkis-- Capt. Haddock
Simon Pegg-- Thompson
Nick Frost-- Thomson

And of course, Jamie Bell as TINTIN! :slight_smile:)
Interesting 'cause we’ve seen Simon and Nick in Hot Fuzz and Paul. And Jamie Bell. Jamie Bell, Jamie Bell! 8D obessive background fangirling

Here’s the first review of the movie. I’m ignoring reviews because I want to go in not knowing anything. I’ve never heard of Tintin before, I want everything to be a suprise to me. But I thought some of you would be interested in the review.

empireonline.com/reviews/rev … FID=135271

Hmm…Eve attempts to write a semi-professional review of a film…

I’ve just got back from seeing this, and I’m smiling. I won’t say it was a marvellous film because it wasn’t, but it did everything it intended to with a definate charm and passion to it.
First things first, this was a fairly faithful adaptation. What I mean is that whilst it didn’t always follow the storyline, it kept a large chunk of the charm. On the most part, it was adapted well; I think after Scott Pilgrim, Edgar Wright was a good choice for this screenplay. Having said that, some of the wit and emotion of it’s source fell through unfortunatly. I believe that less is often more, and there was a lot more sentinence in Herge’s simple drawings than what was displayed in this film.
The story in brief is about Tin Tin, a young journalist, and his dog Snowy, who [spoil]have to solve the mystery of the three Unicorn ships. After being kidnapped, he meets Captain Haddock who’s family name has been cursed, and only he can truly solve the mystery.[/spoil] What occurs is an exciting adventure that resembles Indiana Jones at it’s best; the story takes you all over the world and Tin Tin, Snowy and Captain Haddock are thrown into several different situations, all of which are well directed, with none of them either too short or too long. Speilberg does a good job with his directing all in all; his timing is good and he clearly worked hard with the voice cast, who do a wonderful job (especially Andy Serkis, and Pegg/Frost, who i’m a fan of anyway.)
It looks great too. I know a lot of people on here don’t consider motion capture to be true animation. Too be quite honest, I don’t really care whether it is true animation, because it looked remarkable regardless. I especially loved the animation of Snowy, who was adorable. The colour schemes were really good and the hand-drawn introduction of the film was absolutely brilliant too.
I had two fairly major issues with the film though, and that was with a) some of the screenplay, and b) the pacing. Let me elaborate; i’m not joking, Tin Tin himself was the definition of captain obvious-“oh look, it’s a such-and-such!”-which I understand works well in a comic book but not so well on a film which often relies on it’s visual effects. Characters would appear and then disappear again with no explaination. The switching between [spoil]Tin Tin and Haddock looking for the treasure and Thompson and Thomson back in Belgium[/spoil]was often fairly clunky. Some of the jokes were standoffish and a few lines of dialogue were laughably out of places. I consider Wright, Moffat and Cornish to be three of the UK’s best directors/screenwriters, and I personally think they could’ve done a better job. It had the potential to be brilliant, but I get the impression that they didn’t quite tweak it enough.
I also found the first 20 minutes or so to be painfully slow. After the rather charming introduction was a scene-a crucial scene nonetheless-that got dragged out for a heck of a lot longer than it needed to. The pace was generally sluggish up until Tin Tin met Haddock and they escaped. After that I felt it picked up considerably, but I was twiddling my thumbs before hand, something which I don’t usually find myself doing.
Having said that, once the adventure really started, it became a tremendously entertaining film, and the pacing and screenplay became less of a problem.
I had high hopes for this film, and I think it near enough met these hopes. The start was shaky and it wasn’t a perfect film, but it was a good watch with a good (open-ended, sequel-baity) ending and very good characterisations. It seems the type of movie that will grow on you, and maybe I will learn to absolutley love it.
I give it a 7 out of 10 :slight_smile:

I’m watching it on my birthday! Turning sixteen with a bang. JAMIE BELL <3 XOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Jamie Bell… :sunglasses:
I’ve seen this 3 times now and it could well be my favourite film of the year. It’s really grown on me and improved from the original viewing; I find it even more thrilling and i’m now digging out the comics. It’s topped the UK box office so i’m hoping it’ll hit it’s rather expensive budget… 8D

Why they couldn’t release it early in my country too? :frowning:

I think I might see this one. It looks very impressive, and I think I might try reading the comics. Hehe, he’s known as Kuifje over here… I grew up with Suske en Wiske rather than Kuifje, though.

Too bad that Suske en Wiske, or Spike and Suzy as they’re known in America, did have an animated movie released not too long ago… but that one flopped terribly. For shame.

Kufije sounds kinda cool imo :slight_smile: I think this is amongst the better mocap films in terms of visuals and in the respect that the characters don’t look dead.
I know I’m sounding like I’m being overly fangirly, but I watched a few shows and a documentary on Herge, and started re-reading the comics and watching the 90’s animated series because the film has got me so into is :slight_smile:. It’s history is amazing. I do find it a little disturbing how he was asked to write Tintin in the Land of Soviets as anti-Marxist propaganda for children though… :neutral_face:
SoA: when does it come out where you’re at?

December 23, same as USA

That sucks :frowning: I guess it makes sense though, with Tintin being a big deal in Europe.
I hate release date scheduling. If I was made queen of the world, all films would be released on the same day! cue lots and lots of cinema overcrowding and scheduling issues 8D

Just a month to go to see it, so excited

I’ve just realised Speilberg’s reasons for releasing this worldwide before America. Because Tintin is pretty much unknown, right? 90’s TV show aside. Because the film has a huuuuge budget ($130m, not including advertising costs), it can pick up all it’s budget worldwide so if it flops in the US the damage won’'t be so significant.
Do you think it will perform well in America? On one hand, it’s Speilberg’s family christmas flick, and it’s everything Indy 4 should have been, but on the other, are people going to pay money to see a character of cult status, and a mocap film at that? :slight_smile:

I just watched it on the 28th (in 3D) and the 30th (my birthday!!) It was such a blast! So glad with the way it all turned out. There were so many classic Tintin elements there, and it really just popped with the spirit of the comics. I thouroughly enjoyed it and may go back for a third run…Tintin is such loveable character! Jamie Bell was frikkin’ awesome! This is one of the best movies I have seen…ever.

^Phew! Not just me who loved it! :mrgreen:
I agree, Jamie Bell was awesome, although for me Andy Serkis steals the show (like Captain Haddock does in the comics anyway). I loved all the little references too! Especially in the title credits :smiley:

I don’t know why I didn’t post earlier, but obviously I saw the movie (to be precise, I saw it 4 times - including a brilliant first time, at the Paris world premiere, with Steven Spielberg and Jamie Bell attending), and I loved it. Duh.

Easily my favorite film this year. It’s basically a very respectful adaptation of Hergé’s work. You know, within the first minute of the film, that Spielberg truly respects the source material. The characters are pretty much exactly what they should be. Haddock is just like he is in the books ; an awesome character, performed by an awesome actor. I feel like Andy Serkis is still not receiving the recognition he deserves. He’s starting to get some, of course, but he should be a superstar by now. Anyway…

I’m an hardcore Tintin fan, but the changes in the story don’t bother me. I get it. It’s an adaptation for the big screen. If I want the stories to be exactly like they are in the books, I can still read the books. And it’s all done in a Tintin spirit, so it’s all good.

But what is the most satisfying in the movie is simply Spielberg’s direction. Nobody does an adventure film like him. It’s clear he has fun with the story and with the medium. He’ like a child playing with new toys - but a genius child. The action scenes are mindblowing.

There, I think I’ve said enough. Just one last thing : I want sequels. I want to see Calculus. I want to see what Peter Jackson will do with the world of Tintin.

I share your feelings.

I agree. He’s a severely underrated actor, for both mocap and live action acting.

Yeah, the references were awesome. That guy in the shark room–correct me, but wasn’t that Rastapopolous? (or however you spell it?) And the dialogue between Tintin and the brick-a-brack seller.
‘Charles the Third’
‘More like Charles the Sceond.’
‘That’s what I said, Charles the Second.’
That’s straight out of ‘The Castafiore Emerald.’

Andy Serkis was great :slight_smile: he’s the really experience one here and he does a good job. Though if it was motion capture…Jamie Bell could’ve danced, right? O.O AAAAHHH, HE SHOULD HAVE!

Yeah, the references were awesome. I was especially psyched when he said 'Great Snakes!'That guy in the shark room–correct me, but wasn’t that Rastapopolous? (or however you spell it?) And the dialogue between Tintin and the brick-a-brack seller.
‘Charles the Third’
‘More like Charles the Second.’
‘That’s what I said, Charles the Second.’
That’s straight out of ‘The Castafiore Emerald.’

Andy Serkis was great :slight_smile: he’s the really experience one here and he does a good job. Though if it was motion capture…Jamie Bell could’ve danced, right? O.O AAAAHHH, HE SHOULD HAVE!

what I would have given to have seen/met Jamie Bell. And Spielberg, but Jamie Bell. fangirl swoon