Smoking...

A kid on the bus, Preston, once offered me some marijuana. I was disgusted; he had seemed so nice!! Anyway, I’ll never smoke. It’s filthy, and I can’t breathe when others do. Drinking is the only addiction that disgusts me more. Honestly, those two habits are why my Dad and I have issues, so I hate them.

Those new rules sound great, Flister! Over here you’re not allowed to smoke inside a public building, such as a restaurant or pub, but aside from that there’s no other restrictions. Glad to hear that the people you’ve encountered have a better attitude about smoking. I guess I also encounter it more in certain places, for example hedonistic Brighton, which has that sort of atmosphere in the evening where it’s difficult to resist a few drinks and a few smokes.

It’s amazing how big groups of people doing the same thing can influence others to join them, and that’s what happens on a night out there, certainly. Some of my best friends have fallen victim to this in-group/out-group divide. For example, one’s at university now, and just a few weeks ago she was saying to me, “in the first term, I didn’t smoke at all…In the second term, I smoked socially…Now I’m hooked!” And that’s because almost everyone around her smokes. So it does sound like your experiences of people smoking at school, work or university are very different to mine- though I’d much rather the attitudes over here mirrored the Aussie attitude to smoking!

I personally hate smoking. The smell is aweful and it has been proven to be hazerdous to your health. It also leaves a burning sensation on your throat. I dont get why people do it. :imp:

Me too. i guess it calms them down caue some people smoke when there nervous or mad. You don’t wanna have smoke from a house fire in your lungs so whats the diffrance with ciggerates? I will never smoke.

I completely understand your situation on the bus because I’m close friends with many smokers so I’m around it…alot. However I have never smoked marijuana myself. I think it is discusting and gross. :unamused:

i don’t see how people can smoke marijuana. Once a kid I knew had some. I could smell it and it smells terrible. How could they like it?

I dont know, over the years marijuana has become “cool” to kids :frowning: Its ridiculous. :imp:

I’ve never tried(I can’t breathe when others do it), and I never will. It’s on the list of things I would rather die than do, especially since my family has a long history of addiction.

Most of my friends are clean, so in my mind, there cool.

Sometimes I get so angry at my friends for doing it. :imp: but they dont do it all the time so I guess thats better then being addicted, although I’d rather they not do it at all. :frowning:

Ha, I live in Northern California, you get use to the smell! I personally don’t do pot, but It’s very much a part of the younger generation’s culture, and you smell it most everywhere!

I saw a pack of Marlboros in my friend’s backpack the other day. Not happy… :frowning:

How do they even know how to het some? Do they know drug dealers?

Pixarfan91: I dont’ know if you’re asking me. But if you are, some people grow their own. Others buy them from other people. Or you just get some when you go to some types of parties. If you know where stoners hang out, you can find some pot just laying around, if they forget to pick it up!

Ha, actually I was offered some pot for free while waiting at the bus stop the other day!

I’ve had pot cakes before…But unknowingly, I hasten to add! :laughing: They were being passed around one particularly tedious Latin lesson, and whilst the teacher is talking we weren’t really allowed to talk, so I didn’t have a chance to ask what it was. I tried a few, and they tasted very nice, but I didn’t really feel any effects from them, unfortunately…I mean, it was a REALLY boring Latin lesson! :laughing:

That’s a pretty funny story lizardgirl! I think I need some of those during my English class! (ha, just kidding! :wink: Or am I?)

The unfortunate fact is once you start smoking, it’s very difficult to quit.

Not only is it difficult to quit, one smells terrible too.

We have a ton of people in my area who smokes, and when they return movies, the cases smell like smoke and it’s terrible. Last night I even noticed that movies that are put back on the shelf and smell like smoke have this “stale” smell after a while, and it’s just awful.

Besides the fact that it kills your insides, it also doesn’t make anything one has smell very pleasant.

I’ll never smoke. It’s too disgusting, and I gag when my dad smokes.

I always liked going to my friends house’s because about 60 of the parents didn’t smoke.