Smoking...

scientists have actually done research on whether or not going near smokers can be the same (after many years) as real smoking. Its scary…

Ugh, not only is it gross, since a pack is, like, four bucks these days, and you smoke a pack a day… whew :frowning:

And personally I think it’s scary how addicting it can be. My uncle has smoked for a long time, and on Christmas Eve last year, he got so sick he wasn’t sure he was going to make it through the night! My grandmother said he had prayed to God, saying that if He let him live, he’d never smoke another cigarette again. He kept that promise for a while. Well, I visited him with my mom the beginning of this year and in the two hours we were there, he smoked four cigarettes. After all that!

I think smoking is disgusting. But even if I wanted to, I couldn’t. When I was younger, I had pneumonia, I was in the ICU for two weeks and ended up having part of my lung removed. I have a hard time breathing when I’m near cigarette smoke. However, I understand how addicting nicotine is. I know that a smoker can’t just decide to quit. They have to make a commitment to quitting, and it’s not easy to do.

On the other hand, I’m perfectly ok with marijuana. I don’t smoke it, but it doesn’t bother me. Marijuana itself isn’t dangerous. The fact that it’s a gateway drug is dangerous.

Good to know that many people are opposed to this (as of now) socially-unacceptable behaviour. Personally, I won’t remove a person’s right to light up, as that would be a violation of civil liberty. Which is why I support the banning of smoking in public places and ‘smoking rooms’ in restaurants and airports. If the smokers want to gas themselves, that’s fine with me, but not at the expense of others.

Sorry if I came off a bit harsh. It’s just that I have Asthma (which was so severe when I was young that I went in and out of ICU and always had to use nebulizer machines, which were reduced to those inhaler puffs, and now I have never used one except once in a blue moon). Cigarette smoke is one of the triggers, and it didn’t help my dad works in the tobacco business (le gasp! I know, I was raised on ‘dirty money’), so he smokes samples all the time (that was his excuse).

Even now, when he has retired, he’s still a chain smoker, and it hurts my mum (and me sometimes) to hear his ‘smoker’s cough’. We’re now trying to wean him to just weekends, but sometimes he’ll sneak a puff when my ma’s not looking. It’s quite sad to see him waste his money and lungs away on cigarettes, and although I respect his personal decision, I wish he would lay off the death sticks so he could lead a healthier and longer life. :neutral_face:

i’m sorry to hear that you went through that experience in your youth. If you still have trouble with this problem please feel free to use the wall of prayer to bring out recognition of that problem. I would love to be able to pray for you…

I never smoked and never plan to. I know its effects. I’ll try not to smoke, even once, cuz when you’re addicted, it’s surely bad for your health and it’ll be really difficult quitting it.

CoCoMeister, glad you successfully quitted it. That’s a great acheivement. You must have been going through hard times trying to stop smoking.

I know sometimes people smoke, or really have to smoke, for social means. lizardgirl, I think understand how it’s like to smoke socially (and all about those calming effects). I’m happy to know that you, as well as many people here, trying not to smoke. I think it’s a good thing money wasted with smoking can be used in many other useful ways.

Anyway, I’m not making a stand against smokers. All people are responsible for their own choices, and I believe they all have their own reasons.

Yes, but when those choices start to affect us, it’s time to start making a freaking stand! Don’t you see how it has affected us? It might have not affect you people yet, but it darn sure had affected my once peaceful lifestyle! I can’t run for more than half a minute because some jerks decided to puff out their disgusting cloud of poison near my neighborhood?! Screw them, I say! Go and die, you buttholes! I wish that you are condemned to the deepest part of hell and never return! I wish your death! I wish you die! DIE, the thieves of my once healthy lungs!

Whoa! That’s surely a good point, WBoon, but didn’t you think you came off a bit too impolite? (no offence)

Actually, I’m 100% against smoking, but not people who smoke. I mean some of them could be your friends or relatives, or just some strangers you don’t know that you wouldn’t even care whatever they do. Yes, I never smoked and never will. Yes, I do hate smokers if their activities affect me. I do hate those poison they gave out that will affect a lot of people around them. Yes, there’re a lot of times I experienced the same things as yours, WBoon. I lived in your city for years. Of course, I know how you feel and I did think what you thought. Well, it’s just that I support your statements, but in a less harsh manner.

Harsh? You think I was harsh? Well, let me enlighten you, shall I?

Was it harsh for those smokers to cause my lungs to be affected by their poisonous fumes? Maybe it was not intentional, but have you ever heard of second-degree murder? Manslaughter, perhaps? Just because these ‘smokers,’ or as I would like to call, second-degree murderers, might not know just how much damage they are causing people, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be punished and, more importantly, have their actions stopped, banned as how a manslaughter convict would be treated.

You want to poison your lungs and die? Go ahead, but don’t drag us into the death pool, or I’ll give you something to drag about… :imp:

Edit:
Alright, fine, I’ll admit that I might have overemphasized the severity of smokers, but I just couldn’t stand having people literally destroying my life like that. I mean, they smoke and they get away with it while I’m left to suffer the end trails of their act, which can be quite serious after an amount of time, even deadly.

So, you can see where I’m coming from. Sorry for being so harsh like that, but it’s just one of those days when WBoon has his ‘problematic moods’ swaying round the forums. :slight_smile:

I never will smoke because of all the reasons in the world it’s not healthy, it stinks, it’s expensive (here in France) and i see absolutely no reason to do it. Period.

I will never smoke, I don’t wanna end up with lung cancer or something. Behides, do you know whats in ciggerates? It’s discusting, my parents smoke so they don’t know I guess, they grew up in the 70’s so yeah.

I’d say smoking is definitely dangerous… I have asthma, so I’ll never try. My parents don’t do it either

My mom quit smoking when she was pregnant with me, and so did my dad. After I was born though, she started again. I bugged her and bugged her until eventually she quit about 4 or 5 years ago. However, after my grandma died last June, she was under a lot of stress, and understandably upset, and she picked up the habit again. Both her and my step-dad smoke, but I’m trying to get them both to quit. I want them both to be around to see their grandkids!

I know alot of people that smoke but they’re all nice and happy, i don’t dislike it, because it makes people i know happy, but i reallllyyy don’t want to do it, because i’m abit of a health freak, i don’t drink or want to drink either =) I find alot of drinking worse than normal smoking in my honest opinion.

I will never smoke as it killed my grandma a few years back.

Being in high school, about twice a month I catch wind that another friend/ classmate has become a smoker. It saddens me every time, but it was their foolish choice.

I’ve smoked once, and I didn’t enjoy it. It’s just something I don’t really want to do, but I think other people can if they want too. It’s their choice. But I support all of those laws saying you can’t smoke in resteraunts and other certain areas.

I think smoking is dangerous for people’s health. I don’t ever want to smoke, I can’t stand the smell and it’s hard to breathe around people who smoke. I had a grandfather die of smoking, and I can tell my grandmother is going downhill. I have an uncle that used to smoke too, but he quit.

I beg anyone reading this to stop smoking, it’s horrible and I would be sad if anyone on Pixarplanet died/got sick from it. :cry:

Smoking is disgusting. I would never do it. It really stinks too.

Smoking is awful and is a terrible habit. Never tried it, never will. Plus, it really smells bad and makes me cough sometimes.
Smoking Stinks.

I condemn smoking. It is the worst thing to happen to the world. These people do realize that they shortening their lifespans, right? I know that Jim Varney died of lung cancer. It’s a sad thing. And now there’s a 2-year-old smoking in Indonesia. Well, by the time he’s my age, he’ll probably be dead or almost dead.