Ratatouille Awards

YAY Micheal Giacchino!!! I’m ecstatic. I just looked up the grammy winners and saw that he won. He totally deserves it. Ratatouille is a beatiful score.

you sure do seem enthusiastic…

Why wouldn’t we be enthusiastic? It’s great news! :mrgreen:

i just said that u guys were enthusiastic (not like im not). I didn’t say you SHOULDN"T be.

Michael is not only a great composer, but a heck of a nice person.
Today was the first day of scoring for “Speed Racer” (his next project) and he started the day by getting up in front of the orchestra to tell us “Hey… YOU GUYS won an Annie and a Grammy!”
Then in the afternoon, he got a cake for the orchestra that read:

CongRATS!
Couldn’t have done it without you!

An Oscar would sure be nice (and richly deserved…)

How true. A composer’s work cannot thrive without a super talented batch of musicians.

Congrats to you as well, miafka, and good luck to everybody deserving for the Oscars. :wink:

~~=oP

i see what you mean - BUT in fairness, The Ratatouille score is light-years ahead of TI in orchestration, themes, variation - did I mention orchestration? Check out the flute solo in Remy’s climb through the building to the rooftop of Paris, and the Le Festin theme once he is up there (with the little solo violin thing in the middle where the girl puts on her makeup). AND the final credits piece. And the way he uses the rat theme when Remy’s reading Renata’s last letter. And the Puppet in Training piece… Ratatouille is so completely a Grammy-worthy score, not least because it adds to the drama. I can’t imagine the movie without the soundtrack. It smoothes over rough bits in the storytelling, enhances feelings, and - now I’m thinking about it - frequently ‘speaks’ Remy’s mind and feelings.See above. TI’s score was excellent, but Ratatouille is richer, more nostalgic in a way (it harks back to older times, especially the Puppet in Training scene), more expressive - and yes, more romantic in places. And more variety in the orchestraion. I just feel it ‘speaks’ to me in a way TI didn’t… It says what remains unsaid, what the characters don’t say.

EDIT: I feel vindicated. Was just reading about his work here nytimes.com/2006/05/07/movies/07burl.html

and JJ Abrams, the MIiii director had this to say about him: “Michael gives you the voice of the characters where you can’t really have dialogue.” I heart that comment! And then, the piece says this:

“I think my writing has an old-fashioned feel to it, for whatever reason,” Mr. Giacchino said. “I’m just so influenced by the music that I listened to growing up, a lot of it out of the 60’s, so it has a natural tendency to feel like it’s from another era.”

Mr. Abrams agreed. “Michael follows in that tradition,” he said. “It’s interesting, because it isn’t derivative and it’s not a knowing nod to a style. It’s a true passion for the glory days of film music, and he writes from that place sincerely. So it’s not phony and posturing. It’s passion.”

A big, hearty congratulations to Michael Giacchino, and to all the people who worked with him, including you,miafka! The score of Ratatouille truly deserved that award. :smiley:

miafka - Ha-ha. Well, congratulations to the entire crew who helped to make the Ratatouille score what it is. A big thanks to you, your co-workers, and “Mr. G.” :wink:

(I hope he doesn’t mind me calling him “Mr. G.” Heheh.)

– Mitch

:open_mouth:
Freaking ditto everything putmoneyinthypurse said. I agree with 100% of everything there. Especially about the orchestration. The choice and use of instruments is so conceptual and fitting for the France setting. It’s modern yet classic and worldly.

Congrats, Miafka, and everyone else involved in the making of the soundtrack.
Sheila

Congrats to Mr. Giacchino for the win. I am so happy for im and the movie soundtrack.

Well, the writers’ strike is over so the Oscars are BACK ON! I know this isn’t exactly recent news but it’s awesome! This is going to be great - I so hope Pixar wins a few awards…

miafka - You must feel very proud for being involved in this Grammy award-winning soundtrack. Well done!

All right everyone, don’t forget to tune into the Oscars next Sunday the 24th at 8PM Eastern and 5PM Pacific on ABC. I’m so glad Oscars are officially on, because nothing could have ended the writers’ strike but the Oscars.

I have a hunch Ratatouille will win a couple awards. The more I watch Ratatouille, the more appreciation I have for its artistic and storytelling mastery. And I hope the Academy members will show that they think so, too.

Actually, I wish and hope and pray you’re right. I am afraid, though, that barring a miracle, Persepolis is going to win Best Animated. Politically, if I were running the Oscars, that is what I would do. Artistically, however, is another matter…

Thanks. We’re all hoping Michael gets the Oscar.

There’s an interesting article in today’s LA Times about Randy Thom, who is up for the Oscar for Sound Editing and Sound Mixing for Ratatouille (in the print edition of the newspaper, there’s a nice picture of Remy).

latimes.com/entertainment/la … 7606.story

Thanks for that link, miafka. I didn’t actually know that the squeaks of Remy and Emile (from the humans’ point of view) were still Patton’s and Sohn’s but higher pitched. I hope Randy Thom does win, since good sound editing can really help enhance the story without the audience being consciously aware of it.

how do they get the voices sound so high-pitched?

Sylvermagykan: First of all, it’s super fun when I get to type your username! Is that weird? :laughing:

Secondly, to answer your question, they use a sound editing tool, but theirs are “supah-genius”, and all the stuff we currently have are pretty much silly compared to Pixar’s.

about my username, thats not a surprise. your not the only one…

and “supah genius”?!!!

whats that supposed to mean?

LOL “supah-genius” just means extremely advanced. I got that from Andrew Stanton. 8D