Ratatouille Awards

I wonder if we’ll get to see Ratatouille win anything with all the awards shows being in jeopardy because of the writer’s strike. Of course, it would cost the networks and the people running the shows a lot if they dont air them.

Unfortunately that list has been condensed to a shorter list of seven films which includes neither our beloved rat movie nor Beowulf.
vfxworld.com/index.php?atype=news&id=21851

And Ratatouille has been nominated for a BAFTA. Along with Shrek The Third and The Simpsons Movie. You can read my view on the matter here if you like.

I’m not happy at all with the British Academy.

Be happy, at least Ratatouille doesn’t have to fight to win. It pretty much already won.

Assuming that Shrek the Third and The Simpsons Movie are, indeed, films that are much more inferior to Ratatouille (I haven’t seen those first two), then I’d have to agree with bawpcwpn on this one.

The thing is, nominating a masterpiece alongside two uninspired pieces of “art” (again, I say this sarcastically provided that my above assumptions are correct) is kind of like pitting Lightning McQueen in a race against a bicycle - it’s way too easy to get to the finish line first.

However, if it turns out that any or all of the two other nominess are actually pretty good, I just might change my viewpoint regarding the BAFTA nominations (I will, of course, retain my viewpoint regarding the whole masterpiece vs. uninspired “art” thing). I’ve seen their trailers though, and I must say that they left me very much unimpressed. I guess I’ll have to watch them first in order to find out how good or bad they really are.

Just a heads up for those who don’t know:

They’re announcing the Oscar nominations tomorrow (5:30 AM Pacific Time), so the moment of truth is nearing :slight_smile:

Ratatouille has been nominated for five Oscars:
Original Screenplay
Animated Feature
Original Score
Sound Editing
Sound Mixing

Original Screenplay
Juno
Lars and the Real Girl
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
The Savages

Animated Feature
Persepolis
Ratatouille
Surf’s Up

Original Score
Atonement
The Kite Runner
Michael Clayton
Ratatouille
3:10 to Yuma

Sound Editing
The Bourne Ultimatum
No Country for Old Men
Ratatouille
There Will Be Blood
Transformers

Sound Mixing
The Bourne Ultimatum
No Country for Old Men
Ratatouille
3:10 to Yuma
Transformers

Courtesy of Oscar.com

Finally Michael Giacchino gets his love when he should have gotten it three years ago. Brad Bird gets two nominations for Original Screenplay and Animated Feature. Wahoo!

I’m rooting for Juno for Best Picture. Yup, I woke up at 5AM to watch the nominations live on TV!

Yes! Not that these nominations were a surprise, but I am very thrilled that Ratatouille got these nods.

I wish I had seen the announcement though… The 2005 and 2006 announcements are up on YouTube, so I’m hoping the 2007 announcements will be up as well (or if you prefer to name them in terms of the dates of the ceremonies - the 2006, 2007, and 2008 announcements - respectively)

It has a great chance for best animation and maybe for score. I fear Remy and Co. are up against some hard competition for the other 3.
And Persepolis definately throws a wrench into the whole thing. I’ve been hearing nothing be excellent things about that one.
It’s going to be a close year but I hope for nothing but the best for the Pixar crew!

Well, of course, Cars didn’t win, but The Incredibles and Finding Nemo did, and Ratatouille is definitely on par with TI, and FN in terms of story and characters. (Nobody tops FN visually.) I’ve seen parts of Surf’s Up, and I’d say that Ratatouille has a better chance of beating that than Persepolis. I haven’t seen Persepolis, but like Thomas said in Radio Pixar, the Academy is pretty political, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Persepolis won just because of its subject matter (you can read about it here).

Persepolis is a great movie. A magnificent design which is sometimes scary, sometimes poetic. It can be funny and moving in the same scene. The ending always makes me cry.

That being said, I’m rooting for Ratatouille. But what if they gave an award for both films ? No ? Not possible ? Well, I tried.

If Persepolis won, it would be a little easy to say that’s it’s just because it’s political. Sure, part of the film is set in Iran, but the movie is much more about Marjane’s character.

Yeah, better late than never. Hopefully he wins. Mr. Giacchino is easily the best composer who still works on a regular basis (yeah, Williams is better, but he only does one movie every 18 months). If he doesn’t win, then I think every member of the academy should get a hearing aid in their “goodie baskets”

As for animated feature, am I the only shocked about the nominees, I thought Simpsons Movie was almost guaranteed a nomination. Glad to see Beowulf didn’t get nominated, cause it’s not animated, despite what some people say.

Meh, I’m generalizing, but the Academy does things for their own reasons (that reason can’t understand :wink: ) and it’s easier to say “they like to be political” than to analyze the votes and see how it really went down (especially since we don’t get to see the votes).

Or maybe I’m just bitter because movies that I like hardly ever win (except for Pixar). :wink:

Very happy to see Ratatouille getting the nod for the nominations.

Actually it IS surprising to see Ratatouille actually get recognized for a best screenplay nomination alongside live-action films (usually people just box an animated film into the “best animated film” catagory and that’s it). That was very nice. And of course great to see the score nominated. Hope it wins! Because it would show just what great work Michael can do. Now that I think about it, his last movie before Ratatouille (Mission Impossible 3) and his next two projects (Speed Racer and Star Trek) are all movies with pre-existing music already from their original incarnations, but Ratatouille was a chance for him to show just what a great score he could do on something totally new, and he really outdid himself. I truly hope he gets the win. It was a great score.
As well, I think it’s fantastic (and I’m sure Brad’s happy) that it got nominated not just for best Animated, but for best screenplay (alongside live action) as well.

By the way, there was a little article in today’s LA Times mentioning that Ratatouille also won the Golden Tomato award along with “Once” :

“Ratatouille and Once warmed the hearts of moviegoers and critics alike – and now, they’ve taken top honors in the ninth annual Golden Tomato Awards. The Golden Tomato Awards pay tribute to the best-reviewed films of the previous year as determined by the website Rotten Tomatoes.com, which compiles reviews from print, online and broadcast film critics to measure the percentage of favorable critiques. “Ratatoiulle”, the animated gem about a rat with unexpected culinary skills, earned a 96% ranking on the site…” (a little more, I won’t type the rest in…)

Well, it’s no surprise that Ratatouille got through and was nominated for Best Animated Feature, but for it to be nominated for a further four more nominations is just fantastic. Best Screenplay was a surprise, and a Best Score nom is such a pleasant surprise as well! ^^ Oh, gosh I hope it wins Best Score!

The best outcome would be for it to win BAF, even though there is strong competition with Perspolis, and then anything else would be a bonus (but I would love for it to win one more award, at least).

I also hope that the writers’ strike is resolved soon so that the general population will be able to see how well an animated film has done, and that it had been nominated for many “non-animated categories” - seeing as, like miafka said, they usually just box the animated film into that one category and that’s it.

How sweet it would be for Ratatouille to win the award at the Oscars ceremony and seeing Brad Bird up there, and not just at a little announcement thing… Likewise with Michael Giacchino. Fingers crossed, everyone.

Yeah, I was very suprised to see Ratatouille nominated for so many things, yet I wasn’t suprised all at the same time. It just seems like the type of movie that will do very well, you know? I knew when I first saw it that it would be nominated for more than just BAF :slight_smile:
I agree with hoping the writer’s strike will be over soon. If there’s been any year to show the ceremony on television, it’s definately been this one. Sweeney Todd has been nominated for quite a few things as well :wink:

It’s not technically a big award as such, but Ratatouille won the Golden Tomato award on the Rotten Tomatoes website, which is pretty cool since it’s all about personal reviews and is more of a general consensus.

im not really surprised. ratatouille is too awesome a movie not to win that many awards :smiley:

Well, since this is now the start of THE YEAR OF THE RAT (Happy Chinese New Year, everyone!) maybe it WILL literally be the “year of the rat” for Ratatouille at the awards shows…

Baaad joke. XD