Monsters, Inc. 2!

It’s difficult to tell much at this point, though there are interesting circumstances. For one, 2012 will be the first year that Pixar is, at least to this date, planning TWO films a year. In this instance, Brave and M.I. 2.

True, since they’re bigger that’s what they’re trying for. Two movies a year.

I’m kind of hoping M.I.2 doesn’t suffer from this in some regard since it’s their first try at doing so. But they’re so big now perhaps that won’t be an issue.

Maybe.

Granted I’m getting worried over the deal with Pixar coasting on its past reputation rather than doing things to the best of their ability. Even if they don’t CONCIOUSLY do this… it can happen. You know, ego and all. :confused:

Plus Monsters Inc is the type of movie, what with its whole ‘created world while connected to ours’ deal, means things are more difficult for a sequel to actually make sense in light of the original. Not impossible just a lot more difficult.

I’m kind of hoping two films a year won’t be them biting off more than they can chew if you get my drift what with how complicated an unplanned sequel in a wholly created world can be to do well in the first place. Any clue who is in charge yet folks? Is it 100% trustworthy? I keep hearing people say ‘It’s Pete’ or ‘no, it’s some other dude!’

They better have been rewatching the original many, MANY times whoever it is.

I think we can be pretty sure it isn’t Pete Docter. I do believe he is working on an original project. Yes?

If it is anyone, I hope Bob Peterson directs.

Just curious but why him in particular?

Well, he is clearly close to Pete (Up), and I really like his work, so it just feels right to me for Bob to take over.

Mmmmm. I wasn’t so keen on Up myself plus it had some ‘world issues’ there for me among other things, much as I loved Carl/Ellie. Granted so did M.I. at points. I quite like the idea of Lasseter having a shot at it myself.

I think he’s got very strong story ideas for the most part. (For me Cars major failing was the fact it was talking CARS at all but the story at its core was very good). I think he has incredibly good and believable character developments so I kind of like the idea of him having a go at it. One of the best platonic relationships Pixar ever had was due in part to him wasn’t it? (Buzz and Woody). Or am I very mistaken?

But does he even still direct anymore for Pixar? I think he also has other things going now too.

But I don’t think the fact someone is close to the original director should mean they should be chosen over another myself. Its about their abilities to make the world make sense among other things.

Santon however is a possible choice- WALL-Es world building was pretty good and made sense for the most part (not 100% perfect, and like most Pixars some daft science here and there, but then what movie is perfect?)

I really don’t think any previous director of a Pixar film will direct Monsters, Inc. 2. Considering this is a sequel to what is essentially Pete Docter’s baby, it would just be weird if Stanton, Bird, or especially Lasseter took over. Do you know what I mean? First off, I think they’d rather do their own thing. Secondly, it’d just be so weird! If anyone is to direct this I think it would have to be someone not from that original core group of directors. I could see lee Unkrich directing it, but the production of Toy Story 3 is probably preventing that.

Even if Up wasn’t your favorite, you have to admit that Bob Peterson co-directed and co-created that movie, from start to finish. This shows that they are friends, share similar ideas, and that Peterson has experience as a director! I bet if Peterson directed this sequel with say Ronnie Del Carmen as a co-director, we won’t have to worry at all; it’ll be great!

Still, the idea of Lasseter taking over just leaves me feeling unsettled. It’d almost be like an intrusion on Pete… I hope you understand what I am saying.

I mean, it’d be like if Andrew Stanton was suddenly directing The Incredibles 2. That’d be so strange…

But being a friend to the original director can also be a weakness as well as a strength. It’s a mixed bag.

It can mean we lose out on a fresh take, a fresh outlook and interpretation. It can’t be denied (in my view anyway) that the first M.I. had a few world building problems (throwaway lines which actually mean a lot in the long run). Same with Up ( the dogs and the planes with co-ordinated air attacks.) which makes me worry that the sequel could blast bigger holes in said world building if he’s not careful. This makes me wary because… what if someone wanted to make sense of some of the world building weirdness in the original in some ways?

Take a problem and instead of ignoring it actually make a great story with it? Because they totally could. But what if they’re afraid of ‘insulting’ Pete in some silly way? (But they aren’t and if Pete would get insulted he would need to get over himself. Plus hopefully he’d be more mature than that. And I think he is. After all he’s at least LETTING this go ahead without kicking up a major fuss or whining over the idea of someone else doing it. Points to him.)

Someone being a friend actually might be a bit strange or a bit worried about critiquing certain things. Plus what if he DOESN’T watch the original movie over and over? And just asks Pete for a run down on it? That would be pretty bad. You should NOT (completely) rely on anothers intepretation, not even the creator/director themselves when creating a sequel of someone elses movie. Instead look at the actual canon material (the movie itself and watch it countless times) and make the best movie sequel you can. Perhaps even listen to MULTIPLE interpretations if you think that helps and then do what makes the most sense. That’s all. If Pete is not in the sequel or involved at all, his ghost really shouldn’t be either. Monsters Inc 2 is someone elses movie now.

Of course that’s not to say other Pixar directors might not do the same as that. Though I’d really hope not.

Then again perhaps if they ARE close enough he WILL have the strength to do things well and won’t be ‘starry eyed’ or be too afraid to take things by what he sees in the movie, not just what Pete might tell him to think. But it’s hard to say. We don’t have full knowledge of their relationship or what its like. Or what he is actually like. Plus I’d rather he wouldn’t be Pete 2.0 either. New ideas people.

Interpretations are often different and I personally believe in the ‘death of the writer’ as soon as the material is out there. Sure interviews are interesting and I can still value the writers or directors viewpoint as an interesting insight into perhaps the process or how they came up with ideas. But it’s not canon and never will be. What is in the MOVIE is canon as it is. Pete is just (and I use the just lightly before anyone jumps) the guy who made it. But his interpretation while perhaps having a much wider audience is not really worth more than mine, or yours, or anyones when taken by itself. He gave us the movie which is great. But the movie is out there. His opinion doesn’t count anymore and he can’t tell us to ‘watch it properly’.

A friendship with the previous director… there are both strengths and weaknesses to that idea I’m afraid. So it perhaps shouldn’t be considered a point at all. (Wooo! My TL; DR ramble was pointless! :smiley:) Could mean he has the strength to argue against him… or not. It could mean he has a different opinion on the original movie… or not. It depends on the friendship itself. Do we personally know what it’s always like? It’s a complicated thing.

But I actually don’t find the idea of other directors dipping into others that bad at all. It’s a question if they’d want to though, yes and if the original director kicks up a MAJOR fuss at the idea of any sequel, well let the baby have is bottle I guess. It’s not about it ‘feeling weird’, it’s about who would be best at it period. The original director is a no go. If the original director said that they NEVER EVER wanted a sequel at all, I could see some issues with it going ahead. But if he lets it fly free for someone else, it’s up for ANYONE. And I mean anyone. The sequel could be BETTER than the original in so many ways. That should be the sequels aim. Every sequels aim. If Bob got it, it would perhaps depend on his relationship to Pete. Hopefully he’d be the kind of guy willing to call out on mistakes and also even notice them. But do we know that? (Seriously, I want to know). Up is not a good indication of this in my OWn interpretation of it. Probably not in yours, but it was for me, so for me PERSONALLY I have issues with the idea. You don’t which is fine, this is discussion after all. I just want to get my own views across on why I’m not thrilled on that idea or 100% sure.

But I’m probably being a bit paranoid here. I just wasn’t keen on Up and the plot seemed stretched to me. Carl/Ellie was fantastic, and it seems they maintain the ability to have very touching scenes like most Pixar movies. It’s the things they throw in because they think it ‘looks cool’ or is ‘funny’ without due care and hesitation about whether it even makes sense in the rules of the universe/world they made that sometimes worries me.

In terms of complete character ARCS it seems to be Lasseter is one of the best (but that’s me personally), and Stanton has the best world building. That’s all.

Ronnie was involved with WALL-E right? Not bad. World building skills are possible (though not for sure I need more information). Though Up involvement still means I’m pretty wary.

True, though like said this is the first time they’re doing this.
nods That was one of my worries as well. However, M.I. DOES have a basis to work from…differently from Brave, which is, so far, a stand alone new one. However, that doesn’t mean the script for the former should lack.

nods One big mistake for big parties in any sequel industry is not looking at the original. Even simply, they might forget key points or perhaps even small things that would be told in a sequel.

I’m pretty sure Pete is working on something else and is letting someone else take the reigns. I think he’ll be on a consulting basis perhaps. Afterall, with them doing two films this year and being basic “head man” for Pixar itself, he might take a backseat to it.

Though the story for Cars is essentially similiar to Doc Hollywood.

Wasn’t Stanton the one who did Stitch? Well anyways, Wall-E is a very good win, so if Santon’s directing…he might be a good choice.

Perhaps the director of Newt might take up M.I. 2. Afterall from what we know it was his debut and he got sacked for reasons, at least to me, are unknown at this time.

Lasseter is an interesting man, and has had movie-relations with Hayao Miyazaki, another great director. If he uses some of those influences, he’d make thought provoking sequel.

Of course it’s always a doubled edged sword…keeping the same director could keep the dull “tried-and-done” experience…and having a too-new director bringing too much in to prove himself.

Who knows shrugs

I just wanted to say I really enjoy your tone and writting style, Nexas. I found myself laughing several times as I was reading your post.

shrugs Hahaha, too much…

You…did?

No, no one at Pixar had anything to do with Lilo and Stitch. This movie was made before the official merger between Pixar and Disney, back in the Eisner days. It was written and co-directed by Chris Sanders, who has since left Disney due to a conflict with none other than John Lasseter, and Chris also voiced the lead character, Stitch.

Still, if I was able to pick the director for M.I.2 from the current fold of Pixar directors, especially those who already have directing experience, I’d probably pick Lasseter. It was Lasseter who emphasized the “No Villains” rule, on national television, no less, and even though Cars was basically an animated version of Doc Hollywood with talking vehicles, it remained true to that rule. It started out with a not-so-likeable main character who was very flawed from the start, and had him undergo a gradual character arc that was touching and plausible. There was an antagonist, Chick Hicks, but I would certainly not count him as a villain at all, and he played a relatively minor role and had nothing at all to do with lead character’s-Lightning McQueen’s-dilemma for much of the movie. He was just another competitor in a highly competitive and often down-and-dirty sport, based on a real NASCAR driver who mirrored him in person, the late Dale Earnhart, Sr.

pitbulllady

Stanton, Sanders…similiar sounding at least to me. Actually had watched Lilo and Stitch recently (now own the DVD).

While I wonder about the conflict between Sanders and Lasseter…I think Lasseter so far might be the only one who, at the least, recalls Pixar’s “origins” in how it became so great and is trying to use those influences for future films.

When is this sequel coming out officially though?

November 16, 2012, according to a Disney press release.

pitbulllady

Thanks for the reply… seems like we got ourselves QUITE a long time to wait for this one…

To be frank, I’m really worried about this one. I know I shouldn’t be; I mean, Pixar has yet to disappoint me. Even Cars, which is actually my least favorite of them all, still managed to be entertaining and I even found myself laughing at some parts of it. I’m just wondering if there really IS a way that they can make it just as good as the original, because the first movie was astounding and it already patched things up really nicely at the end.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic or negative about this, or even doubt Pixar. I really do trust them because everything that they’ve done has so far been nothing but amazing. I’m just trying to be really careful, if you get what I mean. I really, really, REALLY hope that this’ll be insanely good as the first one, just like Toy Story 2 was, but I just don’t know.

Have a little faith guys. :wink: Pixar hasn’t let us down before.

Many people make sequels for the sake of having sequels, but Pixar makes sequels only when an actual, worthwhile story is behind it. Their sequels so far (including TS3) are amazing, and MI2 will be no different.

885 days, 4 hours, 12 min and counting! :slight_smile:

Awesome! An MI sequal! Let’s hope we’ll see a teaser with Cars 2 or Brave!

Guys, I think we have our older Boo (the little girl on the bottom left hand corner):

Now, compare that pic to the this one of Boo in the original Monsters Inc.: I’m 99.99% sure that first pic is how Boo will look in Monsters Inc. 2, because look closely, they both have the same eye color, and the same eyebrows.