Monsters, Inc. 2!

Thanks Chao. Though what I mean a sorta drastic change of power source.
nods Indeed, there was an energy crisis (something of which Waternoose would have used to promote the Scream Extractor), so the intial plans for Laugh Energy and it’s test phase were accepted rather quickly, and to speed up the process, Sullivan was promoted to the position of CEO to oversee the phase.

From Waternoose being carried off to the end of the film, one year has passed.

Specifically the end of the movie takes place one year from the rest.

EDIT- Please don’t double post within 24 hours, thanks!

-lizardgirl

Actually, I’m becoming rather fond of the idea of taking laughter having a harmful effect on where it’s taken from. Maybe something about it is making the world a bleaker place. I know it’s not possible to be desensitized to finding something funny as it is to find something not scary at all that once terrified you. Maybe it is just so powerful because it takes something, and the adverse effect could be where Boo plays, she’s the one who shows Sully what’s going on out there, and Sully has to choose the company or the human world. Laughter is for the good of the company after all.

And I think I like that better, something completely unforseen, than “Yeah Laughter is awesome and solves everything!” to the monsters being all “BOO LAUGHTER!” Having it not be disliked by the company and the citizens, who infact love it as it’s cheaper for them and more effecient, but having a harmful effect on the world that one of the characters who will still probably play a huge part and is close to Sully could make it more of a dilemma and, as you said you liked Nexas, have Sully being more like Waternoose.

Well since Boo isn’t getting collected anymore, I’m unsure if she’d be affected by this theory.

Though in general I think Sullivan’s interactions with her will have a negative effect.

Well, if it’s harming the human world, then she’d know what it was that was causing this, and if her Kitty knew and isn’t doing anything to stop it, I think that’d make her respect him a little less.

Like I said, I think an effect of using Laughter as a power source is some of the laughter and happiness will be drained out of the human world. I know this is getting into a bit of fantasy territory, but Monsters Inc is probably the most fantasy fulled Pixar film to date, I don’t think it’d feel that out of place if done right. Boo would realize somethings wrong and suspect the Monsters action, and she’d let her Kitty know. An older, maybe 10-12 year old Boo would be best for this type of plot.

I actually see her as a bit rough, adventurous girl like Ellie (whom I know already gets compared to Elastigirl in appearance at least) so I think they could still have her be a cool and endearing character when she’s a bit older.

And I believe you brought it up, Nexas, I think it’d be great if she were a little anti social due to her time in the Monsters world. Though they’d have to show more of the human world to show this, but to get the point across that there are problems there, having a chunk of the time there will almost be necessary, more than a bedroom or the mountains.

I think the idea of ‘draining happiness’ is a bit too fantasy for me. I’m not keen on that idea. They are SPREADING laughter. It woyuldn’t make much sense to me.

Personally I see the risks primarily at first involving the Monster World. Getting a laugh takes longer then getting a scream if you want to be technical about it. Hence they are more likely to be caught by parents. Plus parents will probably find it weird for kids to be ‘woken up’ LAUGHING. A change will possibly also be noticed.

Plus on the pratical side- jokes are more likely to fall FLAT.

You can use the same routine on a kid or a very similar one in scream collection. The same joke gets stale more quickly.

There are potential problems with laughter there. Getting a laugh out of msomeone is more DIFFICULT then getting a scream. Plus, there is more potential WORKERS for screaming then laughter. What I mean to say is, since laughter is 10 times the energy there will still, even with the increased time per kid taken into account perhap, be a significant drop in employment in that area. Granted in the long term there could be an employment boom much late in other areas (decreased energy costs for other businessses can equal happy times in that area eventually)- but in the short term if they convert everything (probably have yet to do that) people will not be happy. Plus, less people are probably suited for laughter collection versus scaring in terms of the various talents if you get my drift.

I’m more worried about the older scarers then any students myself. The students are still young. They can still retrain, yeah it sucks, but they’re hardly the group in the worst situation at all or the ones who would need the most help,still have their lives ahead of them, but what about the much older scarers? Who’ve been doing it for decades? Some problems there.

The impact Sulley could have on Boo is debateable. I see Boo as being very friendly and inquisitive as she is in the movie, I see that remaining, but heck she’s two and a half so that might change.

Granted, I could see it go the OTHER way. Boo has many friends. She tells them about the monster world (she’s a KID remember, she’s unlikely to know to keep it a secret unless someone tells her and even if she’s a much older kid then she’d possibly let it slip. Possibly.). Most parents see it as harmless fantasy depending on their age… but then something happens (maybe to Boo and/or one of her friends?)

Negative impacts could include if in this next escapade, Boo uses violence AGAIN to deal with the problem. She won’t remember the first movie events but if that sort of thing continues to be a regular thing in their adventures throughout her life, it would be a negative impact on her.

Not to mention I personally see Monsters in her life even eventually making her into a little ‘liar’ if she DOES undrestand the implications of why keeping things under wraps is best. A truth twister. Granted a part of me finds that idea a bit funny given that Sulley is so BAD at it (and Randall too potentially when backed into a corner with his fronds).

Granted if they keep her the same age (hello logical inconsistency) or make her parents extremely abusive (where is the evidence of THAT?) I will NOT be happy over what they’ve done to Boo at all.

Oh wow I really love all of this idea ncuday! Especially Sulley and Randall being room mates, and Randall begrudgingly becoming Fungus’s assistant :laughing:

I have always wanted the monsters to end up in the human world for some reason; and a human threatening the monster world somehow. I think it’s even more doable with Pixar’s leaps in human character technology.

Those are all good plots. It could also have that now that Boo’s a teen( if she is) then Mike tries to convence Sulley to get a new human friend cause Boo is getting to old for him, But Sulley dosen’t want to do that.

There could be a lot of potential problems with Boo’s continuing association with monsters. Her parents and teachers and other adults are going to be quite concerned at some point, with what they think is her obsession with imaginary friends, beings that she is always talking about, always drawing, even blaming things on(like when some big blue furry ox of a monster sits down on a piece of furniture in Boo’s room and crushes it unintentionally-“Kitty did it, mommy”). The other thing, which Mentalguru already pointed out, is that the “lesson” Boo learned from her first trip to the Monster World is that the way to deal with someone who scares you or causes you any trouble is to beat them up, and use violence to resolve that issue. Little kids tend to be violent enough as it is, and for her that notion got a strong reinforcing. I don’t think I’d want to have a kid in the same day care of school as little Mary!

I’d like to see a plotline where Sulley realizes that what he did, with regards to taking the law into his own hands in dealing with Randall, was wrong, perhaps being spurred on by finding out things about his former rival that make Randall into a bit less of a demon, and then trying to reach out to his former rival and follow that old adage, “you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar”. Of course, Mike is probably not going to be happy. The thing most people fail to realize is that Mike and Randall are VERY similar in personality types; the differences we see are due to their different circumstances in life at that time. For Mike, things had really been going well in the movie, while for Randall, things had been on a steady downhill roll of stress and pressure and doubt for who knows how long. Reverse their respective situations, and things would be very different. I do like the idea of Sulley and Randall gradually becoming friends, finding out that they have interests in common, etc., while Mike and Sulley might at first become more distant, especially if Mike’s relationship with Celia continues. The ironic thing about the first movie is that neither Randall nor Sulley really had a clue as to what was motivating the other insofar as Boo was concerned. Randall had no way to know, and no reason to assume, that Sulley was trying to protect “the kid”, and following the destruction of the Scream Extractor, Sulley had no way of knowing what Randall still wanted with her, either. Given Randall’s treatment of her in the Door Vault, it was pretty clear that he meant her, at least, no harm. IF the two of them ever got a chance to actually TALK about the whole thing, they’d probably be rather surprised to discover that what they thought wasn’t necessarily what was actually going on.

Which brings up something else: the Wikipedia article, which must be taken with a grain of salt in light that it IS Wikipedia(and my experiences with this site as a source of info on upcoming entertainment has not been good so far), states that James Earl Jones(best known of course for the voice of Darth Vader)and Gary Oldman will be joining the cast. Both are known for their roles as “villains”, and Oldman especially brings that creepy British “mad scientist” flair to an art form. I’d speculated that perhaps Jones, with his deep, cultured, resonant voice, could be hired as a replacement voice actor for Henry J. Waternoose, given that the original VA for that character, James Coburn, has passed away, but I could also see him voicing Sulley’s father and dispensing fatherly advice to his son, who is probably stressed to HIS breaking point by now with his position of CEO.

pitbulllady

Actually, though I acknowledge that I’ve only seen a few recent movies, I’ve only seen (or heard of, which includes the Harry Potter movies) one film in which Gary Oldman is a villain (The Fifth Element), and he actually has a semi-convincing Southern American accent in THAT one!

Nonetheless, I won’t get this thread off-topic. It is surprising how many GOOD story ideas Pixar could use with this sequel, many of which have been brought up. Alas, I fear they won’t be used, not necessarily because they’re thought up of by fans instead of themselves, but possibly because most of said ideas COULD end up getting a little dark. :confused:

Dang it pitbulllady that’s practically my dream summary of a sequel. Boo having a few issues (and overcoming it, I’d better add that- it would be cool if Boo learned violence was not the way plus I’d love to actually SEE BOO’S PARENTS), the whole imaginary friends issues partly depends on age, but if it continues I could see people getting annoyed no matter what if not at least concerned. Sulley having issues for various reasons, relating to the CEO position and the Randall thing and maybe even things in relation to Boo and her life. Maybe even fears of becoming Waternoose. Reconcilation between Randall and Sulley. Having Boo be the one in a round about way who brings them together after an initial false start even between them (if they can work that in, it works very well thematically and symbolically speaking) and I will probably become a rabid Pixar fan on an untold level.

Add the CDA being either acknowledged as ambiguously very dark grey protaganists or as the antagonists and I’ll be REALLY happy. (Perhaps if they have the former they could have certain humans fearful of the monster world as antagonists?)

They could come up with the worst Movie Ever ™ after such a sequel and I’d be too distracted by the awesomeness of M.I.2 to care much if they did all that.

Yeah. :laughing: Okay maybe not that much. But yeah I’d be thrilled. Obviously.

I think a good theme would be the idea of the ‘truth’ as well in general being used. Though I would hate it if they villified people who did not immediately believe about the monster world for example. That would be bad,

Granted, some of the ideas are probably ‘too dark’ like the CDA thing anyway like Sg mentioned. But still.

Yes, I definitely love your idea of Boo’s plot and how she’s affected by Sully. I like the idea that she has issues solving her problems with violence and she’s agressive and scrappy. I can already see the segment where she’s getting lectured again by a principal or her parents, ending with her sneaking into Monstropolis to escape.

And I like the idea of the CDA being villified or at least put into a morally grey area. Maybe they are the ones who have the problem with laughter. I’d still like the negative effect to be on the human world somehow, just because at the end, everyone seemed happy in Monstropolis and I like the idea of them going “oh wait, we don’t like it” less than making the film more of a fantasy, which IMO Monsters inc has always been the most fantasy driven movie Pixar’s produced to date. And we have a character who would be directly effected, and something to give Sully questions about the way to go, especially if it comes down to Boo or the Company.

I like my idea of Randall coming back in an epic door hangar sequence and for a while they play with is he the bad guy or not before he meets up with Sully and Mike in a situation where they need each other, forcing them to call a temporary truce where they’ll become friends slowly. Especially since I think Randall and Sully have a lot in common and Mike and Randall, as someone’s said before, have similar personality types.

I’ve been reading this thread with real interest, and there are a lot of cool ideas here, and yet I still get the feeling that Pixar are going to completely surprise us with this film and its plot.

Personally, I think our own ideas WILL be a surprise for us if used, given that the recent M.I. developments just aren’t thinking about those ideas. :confused:

Well, I’m really excited!! I love Monsters, Inc., and I trust Pixar not to plague us by pulling a Shrek The Third or The Swan Princess III. :smiley: I’m ecstatic, now!!
Wait, does this mean they’ve canelled Cars 2? If so, I’m already dissapointed.

Ummm… no. Cars 2 is still coming out next year.

Okay, thanks. :slight_smile:

nods Good info Mental.

As for older scarers, it depends on if there are still Scarefloors in Monsters Inc. There might be quite a few as laugh energy is still be integrated. But overall it’s difficult to say.

What I think makes Boo more of a bully is because she has “Kitty” on her side. So she thinks she can really do anything she wants or else they’d have to deal with him (which in eventuallty they won’t).

I doubt Randall would be Fungus’s assistant. In fact, think he’d dislike working under Sullivan at the start. Afterall his first boss dragged him into a demoralising “conspirarcy”, and Sullivan didn’t really make a good impression on him when he “had things in control”.

Like said, I see Boo turning into sorta a bully, and doesn’t really make friends with anybody human. An interesting sub-plot is seeing her probably have an interest in some kid or somebody new that she’s unsure how to approach…and by the end of the film she does. Maybe outside her house she sees him passing by and he joins her on the swingset and they get to simple talking, and Sullivan is watching with a smile up in the window of her room knowing she’d be ok.

chuckles You know what would be interesting…if Sullivan and Randall become roomates, the credits could be snapshots of how things are going. chuckles Can imagine Randall listening to music while Sullivan’s trying to tell him something important and he’s not paying attention ^0^

Interesting you not them for their roles Pitbulllady. Could these be new characters taking up the “antagonist” role??

chuckles at Ncuday’s principal comment shakes head Ooooh Ncu…you hit the bull on the head with that one heh heh. How? Heheh in-joke heh :slight_smile:

The C.D.A. would likely be reformed into a crime agency since the “toxic card” has been brought into question, though many monsters still fear it.

I’m excited at the prospect of Monsters Inc. 2, but at the same time…this means the studio that iis the greatest source of originality in American feature animation (heck, in mainstream American cinema, period) now has 3 sequels among their upcoming releases. I’m not too worried, so long as there are still plans for new/original Pixar films as well (which there are), it’s just that I’m sure there are hyperparanoid executives within Disney who would rather sequelize the already-successful films until the end of time rather than ever “risk” trying something new.

I wonder if the new Monsters Inc. film will involve more about the other “exiled” monsters in our world.

It would be interesting how Pixar handles it’s sequels in a bulk fashion. The only one they really had was Toy Story 2. But I think we can all agree at the least that Pixar won’t turn to the straight-to-DVD approach with sequels that Disney had taken for most of them.

Interesting that you use the word “exiled” Animagusurreal. The “legal term” in Monstropolis court is “Banishment”. Though in general, if someone with connections like Waternoose can get a Banishment Door, it’s not farfetched that some of these monsters in the human world weren’t sent there as a sentence from trial.

I am exited for Monsters INC. 2 so I made a teaser poster :slight_smile: not that exiting though. :stuck_out_tongue: