Mitch's "Tails"

Finally – chapter six!! This is the longest chapter to boot: approxiamately nine and a half

pages long. :stuck_out_tongue:

On the whole, I am very pleased with how this chapter turned out. I especially had a fun

time developing the character of Colette, even though I have no idea what her real personality will be like in

the film.

Enjoy! :smiley:

CHAPTER SIX: KITCHENS AND

CATASTROPHES

“Watch your step, madame.” The grand duchess lifted up her velvet-coated dress

from under her feet as she descended elegantly from a fervently decorated carriage. On her right stood a

chauffeur, bowing deeply, decked in a black suit and a high silk hat for the occasion. To the madame’s left were

lined a troop of royal class vehicles: Volkeswagons and Fords wearing their best shades of midnight black. But in

front of the mistress, shinning brighter than even the glare of the cars’ headlights, was a brilliantly lit,

neon sight atop a high building, flashing the words “Gusteau’s!” amid an aray of guests filing into

the packed restaurant.
Two rows of benches were displayed before the cafe’, seated on a marble-stone

porch cast with the scent of numerous flower beds along the walkway.

"Right this way,

madame," the chauffeur declared to the duchess, the lady now wearing an expression of great interest and

ecstasy. Leading her past the benches – three of which were occupied – the chauffeur directed the duchess

towards a pair of swinging doors and intot he restaurant…

The mistress only had to walk five steps

down a red-carpeted floor before she was halted by a tall, mohagony desk bare of an occupant. But it wasn’t long

before a pretty lady with short black hair and chestnut-colored eyes came to greet her.
"Bonjour,

madame. Welcome to “Gusteau’s!”. Whom do I have the honor of addressing?" said the waitress, in a

very crisp but pleasant voice.
“May I present, the Grand Duchess Yvonne,” replied the chauffeur,

stepping out from behind the duchess in a brisk fashion. The waitress gazed, astonished, at her guest, who simply

smiled, nodding, and tossed the tail of her mind fur shawl over her shoulder.
"Oh…bienvenue,

madame. Bienvenue!" stumbled the waitress, shifting out and around the desk to demonstrate a well-rehearsed

curtsy, slipping out from under her suit, and gaining a few laughs from one of her fellow employees in the

process. The waitress glared at her one-man audience while straightening her uniform of wrinkles from the deep

curtsy, but the duchess merely chuckled softely. Her chauffeur, on the other hand, was not impressed…

"Please, miss. Conduct yourself in a respectable manner! This is the duchess of France to whom you

speak."
Looking taken aback, the waitress fretfully apologized to both the duchess and her chauffeur,

giving the latter a rather nasty glare which she hoped the mistress did not notice. However, the duchess raised

up a hand to silence the chauffeur before he could retaliate further.
"My chauffeur has never

approved of humor, mademoiselle. I, however, disagree," replied the duchess, bestowing up the waitress a

small smile.
Greatly relieved, the waitress returned the sentimental reply with a bried, understanding nod

before leading her guests to a great room filled with the most splendid decor the madame had ever laid eyes

on…
Numerous chandeliers hung from a ceiling that towered to a height of three stories, the second story

laiden with various child’s toys, treasures, and memorabilia. The third story contained a dining room whose

beauty and elegance didn’t even surpass that of the one on the first floor. Tables and chairs were spread across

it from one corner to the next, all evenly spaced so as to allow the waiters room to deliver meals by way of a

trolley. All but one of these tables were occupied, the only spare seats, the grand duchess could see, being

positioned at the very back of the room…right by a magnificent fountain with lush botanical jewels.

“Quite impressive,” exclaimed the duchess, eyes wide with pleasure.
"Yes. Quite. Please

pardon me if I do smell a rat, though," sniffed the chauffeur, clearly still displeased with the waitress’

attitute towards him.
"Oh, do cheer up, Toulouse. I’m sure this fine work of art would not be

standing here if any twitch or whisker of a mouse was seen," the duchess batted back. "Isn’t that

right, miss…"
“Colette, madame.”
“Colette… What a pretty name,” the

duchess responded, twinkling her eyes in favor of the waitress.
“Thank you, ma’am.” Colette

blushed. Toulouse frowned. Colette frowned back. Then, just to sweeten the deal… "And yes. I assure you

that if even one hair of a rat was found, he would never dare step in here again after we caught him." She

smirked in the direction of the chauffeur, but the duchess noticed that Colette seemed a little tense when she

said that.
“I still say I smell a rat,” the chauffeur said again.
"Yes – so do

I," replied Colette.
"Well, that’s all in good time. However, it would please me if I could find

a menu, miss Colette…," said the duchess, braking up the argument.
Colette left and returned with

two menus, shooting the chauffeur one last glare before turning tail to aid the call of another customer.

“Miss lady? Miss lady?” a young girl in pigtails called.
"Well hello, petite

fleur. What may I do for you?" Colette asked, bending down to speak to the girl. The girl lowered her voice

to a whisper and cupped one of her miniscule hands around Colette’s left ear.
"Have you seen any

rats around here?"
Colette’s eyes popped. As surprised as she was that the girl had overheard the

previous conversation, she was at least grateful that the little eavesdropper had been thoughtful enough to keep

her voice down concerning the matter. Even so, it took Colette at least ten seconds to think up a suitable

answer.
“Well…not yet…” The girl stared at Colette. "But there will be if you draw

one." And with that, Colette pulled a spare coloring book and some crayons out from behind her back.

“Wow! Thank you, ma’am. How did you do that?”
“Magic,” Colette smiled, fixing her

pocket-filled apron the right way around, from back to front, as she did so…before slipping off into one of the

many kitchens.

“Heeey, there she is! Come on , everyone. Roll out the carpet!”
A

cranberry red carpet was uncerremoniously thrown at Colette’s feet as she materialized into kitched number one,

one of the busiest and, Colette thought, the rowdiest of them all.
"Give her a bow – come on! She’s

part royalty now…"
“Try 1/16, Jacques,” Colette smiled sarcastically, untying her apron

and hanging it on one of three wall hooks. “She barely even touched me, much less talked to me.”

“Aww…come on, Clochette…,” teased Jacques.
"Please don’t call me that, Jacques. Do I

look like a cheese to you?" said Colette, swinging around, arms crossed, to glare at the guys, all of whom

were looking as if they were on the verge of choking from laughter.
"No, but you sure smell like

one!" Jacques said, as the room burst into a tantalizing fit of laughter. Colette just stood there, rolling

her eyes at the spaghetti encrusted ceiling.
“Would you like some butter with that cheese?”

Colette mocked.
“Sure,” said one of the guys, “Just don’t cut it!”

“Hahahahaha!” laughed the workers. Colette retained her noncommittal posture, unconvinced, with one

eyebrow raised and her arms still crossed in an undignified fashion.

Two minutes later, exhausted and

unable to stand standing in the comedy club any longer, Colette left her fellow coworkers in the kitchen, all of

them still in hysterics and laughing their heads off like a pack of wild hyenas. Although, Colette couldn’t help

but chuckle to herself a little when she had walked out of that kitchen…

Leaning against a wall

that overlooked the room in which the duchess and her chauffeur sat – the chauffeur, morever, muttering

suspiciously to the madame – , Colette watched the guests talking fluently to each other in French. Slowly, she

began to hum quietly to herself, thinking deep thoughts. It had been five years ago, exactly five years to the

day, that she had been hired here. Five long, uneventful, sarcastic years. Had she not needed the cash so badly,

she probably would be in Manhattan somwhere – sipping a pina’ colada or kicking sand out from beneath her toes.

But no. That future of hers was already long gone – it had taken a trip of its own into the past.

Retrieving it, she told herself, would be foolish; her conscious made sure to tell her that. Slapping herself in

the fact, Colette walked off to answer the hungry call of yet another customer…

At least half an

hour passed before Colette realized that two things were wrong…
First of all, she had neglected to adorn

her apron the whole time. Unfortunately, by the time she retrieved it, she found that the guys had drawn a rather

bad-sketched picture of a clochette on the back – colored by markers, from the looks of it.

“Well…two can play that game,” Colette had muttered to herself once out of earshot of the others,

untying her apron in a flourish and setting off in the direction of the staffroom. "The first thing I’m

gonna do is call --"
“–Colette!” That was the second thing: no sooner had she decided to

contact the boss when her words were cut short by Gusteau himself, the head man and king of “castle”,

as he often like to call his restaurant.
“Oh no…,” Colette muttered. As much as she liked

Gusteau, she had to admit that being his employee did have its disadvantages. Gusteau was a jolly, good-natured

fellow with a big heart and an even pudgier profile. He often thought of his employees as miniature versions of

himself: kind, hard-working, and eager to please; however, Colette could name a select few who would disagree

with that statement. Gusteau often had the habit of assigning Colette to carry out the night shifts, something

that Colette absolutely despised, but was too kind to admit it. And sure enough…
"Colette, my dear!

How very fortunate of me – I thought I would never find you. Where were you hiding, my dear?"

“Oh…umm, I was in the kitchens…,” Colette muttered politely, smiling but rubbing her forehead at

the same time. She’d been working so hard the past seven hours she hadn’t noticed the throbbing headache that

had been slowly creeping upon her, until now.
“But, my dear, you look tired,” Gusteau

sympathized, looking worried.
Colette looked at him as if to say, “Ya’ think?” However, she

decided against saying it outright.
"Well, I’ve been working for seven hours straight, sir. I’m

just a little bit tired – it’s nothing serious." Colette felt like kicking herself for telling him a

downright lie; she knew that she would regret it later.
"Oh…well then, I’m sure you wouldn’t mind

taking the night shift, right, my dear?"
“What? But…but I-”
"I’m sorry, my

dear," Gusteau cut her off again, “But I have my own troubles at the moment.” He sighed. "It

appears as if my restaurant’s ratings have been decreasing. I’m losing all my customers! I fear that…that

this grand masterpiece is going down the tubes!" Gusteau sighed again, exasperated. Colette let out a silent

snort that, thankfully, Gusteau didn’t seem to notice.
“Well, you could have fooled me, sir,”

she said, taking a quick glance at the bustling, over-crowded vacinity. Even as she spoke, a clatter of dishes

could be heard in the backround, indicating that somebody had broken another plate or two. But Gusteau often

worried about little things like the changes in weather or a slight decrease in his restaurant’s ratings.

Nothing much for her to worry about…
"Ohh…tisk tisk, my dear. That attitude won’t get you far,

I’m afraid. Come to think of it, it won’t do me any good to fret about it either." He glanced at his

watch, ticking onto eight-thirty, by the looks of it. "Oh – I have to go! Thank you, Colette, and don’t

let Linguini brake any of the dishes again!" And with that brisk exit, he was off, just as a couple more

dishes could be heard smashing into the floor in the backround. Colette, meanwhile, looked thoughtful…

“Linguini. Hmm…”
“Colette!! Get in here! He did it again!” called a distinct voice

from the first kitchen.
"I did nothing, you fool! You give me your ingrate of a tool and it blows

everything up!" responded a second, harsher voice. Meanwhile, a thick stream of smoke was beginning to crawl

its way out of the kitchen door and into the main diner, alerting the guests and everyone else in the vacinity,

causing the chefs scattered around the dinning rooms to calm down the panicking customers. Colette sighed.

“I’m coming, Skinner. I’m coming. Hold your horses…”

Skinner. His real name was Laramee

Granger, but no one who knew him ever called him that. Skinner had a good reason to be christened that particular

nickname; he was as reckless as a loose baboon and as liable to explode as a ticking bomb at its peak. He was

also quite infamous for his tendency to cut whatever came within chopping range of his knife; hence, it was never

a mystery as to why most considered him to be rather intimidating. However, it was a mystery as to why Gusteau

hired him in the first place. But this didn’t stop Skinner from being any more grateful, or grateful at all, for

that matter. Everyone who worked at the cafe’ knew better than to get closer than three feet to Skinner, unless

they were Linguini or Colette, both of whom had been working at the restaurant almost as long as Skinner had. So,

understandably, it was with great regret that Colette stomped into the smoke-chocked kitchen, untied apron still

in hand.

“Now what?” flamed Colette, already quite annoyed due to the change of plan

concerning her shift.
“Umm… Umm…,” stuttered Pierre, one of the chefs, pointing in the

direction of a large stove against a wall. Colette took one, long look at the stove – which was quite difficult

due to the excessive amount of fumes – before inhaling a great gasp of hair and rushing towards a squat figure

positioned in front of the blazing contraption. There stood a diminuative little man with black hair, black eyes,

and an equally blackened and annoyed expression. He did, indeed, look like an oversized primate; at first glance,

one would probably also say that he was shaped a bit like a triangle, with a waist as the base and his head as

the tip. Linguini often called him a “deranged monkey”. Skinner, on the other hand, wasn’t too fond of

the name.
“Vous?! What are you doing here?!!” Skinner said angrily.
"Moi. And I’m

here to save your life, unless you have a problem with that," Colette replied sourly, coughing from the

clouds of smoke that filled the kitchen.
"Cut the comedy, mademoiselle – I’m on the verge of using

this knife," Skinner said, pointing a very large, very pointy-looking cutting knife at his fellow employees,

all of whom automatically flew back a couple of steps. It was common knowledge that Skinner carried this

particular knife wherever he went.
“Just let me turn off this firey inferno and --”
For

the third time that night, Colette was cut off.
"No! I slaved five hours over this masterpiece, and

you --"
“-- and it looks like it’s coming along nicely,” interrupted Colette, glad to cut

someone else off for a change. "Give it a few more hours and you might just be able to pull off a fireworks

display…"
“Oh, shut up. Just fix it!” Skinner shouted, finally admitting defeat.

“My pleasure.” The one thing that Colette really seemed to pride herself on was the fact that she had

the ability to be calm in a crisis.

It wasn’t the time Colette spent fixing Skinner’s little dilemma

– which turned out to be a steaming chicking and a couple of burnt potatoes – that upset her in the end; it was

the fact that, after all her hard-working, she was once again required to take the night shift. Forced, more like

it. Unbeknownst to Gusteau, however, poor Colette had made up her mind to take a different route…
Ding

ding! The sound of a bicycle bell sounded shrilly through the night as Colette stepped out the back door of the

cafe’. Gazing up at the twinkling stars above, she wouldn’t have been surprised if they had decided to play a

few tunes of their own on this beautiful night. She only wished she herself had enough pep to do the same.

In the distance, beyond a pair of apple trees and many brightly-lit shops, stood the Eiffel Tower, illuminated

against a blackened sky by its astounding beauty almost as much as the lights that decorated it from speared-top

to steel-plated bottom. Even as she gazed at an entourage of tourists taking snapshots of the wonderous sight, a

jet of water shot out from the long, rectangular-shaped pool at the base of the tower, succeeded by another, and

yet another, until the miniscule lake was flanked by two lines of water jets, one on each side, like a dozen

soldiers standing guard over a steaple-shaped castle.
Colette sighed, lost in thought, until the distant

call of the bicycle bell jerked her back to reality.
Ding ding! Ding ding ding.
"Pff… Here

he comes…," Colette said to herself.
Ding ding ding!
“Three…two…one…”

“Hi, Colette!” a voice called from somewhere. “Hey, Colette – over here! On the bridge!”

Colette swiveled around to her right, where an arched bridge stood stretching out to serve as a road.

However, Colette was focussing her gaze, not on the bridge itself, but on a curly-haired boy with freckles, a

triagular-shaped, white hat, and a rather goofy expression. By the looks of him, he couldn’t have been older

than seventeen at the most. One might have taken him for a pizza delivery boy at first glance if it hadn’t been

for the hat and a little rectagular tag pinned to his shirt bearing the title “Restaurant Garbage Boy”

in golden letters.
“Hey, Colette! Guess what?” Linguini asked her excitedly, rolling down the

hill on a little red bicycle.
“Chicken butt?” Colette responded in the most monotonous tone she

could utter.
“Ha! Good one…,” Linguini laughed, clearly having said the previous question just

to hear her say that. Colette simply stood there, gazing at him with an air of great annoyance. Still, she

couldn’t help from keeping a crinkle of a smirk from escaping her lips.
“What?” Linguini asked,

still surpressing a couple of giggles.
“Ahh…forget about it,” Colette said, waving her hands

impatiently and dropping her forlorn posture.
“Come on. At least give me a hint?” Linguini asked

in a comforting tone, parking his bike against a nearby fountain.
“Skinner,” the other

responded, sounded frustrated.
“Oh, that old monkey?”
“Try ferocious tiger,”

Colette suggested. "He would have burned down the entire restaurant if they guys hadn’t called me in at the

last possible second."
"Hey, look on the bright side! You could have had to work the night

shift!" Linguini giggled, not realizing that his attempt to cheer Colette up only made things worse.

However, one good, long, piercing glare was all Linguini needed to get the hint. "Oh. You don’t

mean…"
Colette nodded a silent reply.
“Oh. Well…nice seeing ya’!” Linguini said

quickly, noticing that all-too-familiar twinkle in Colette’s eyes. But he hadn’t gone two paces before he felt

the collar of his shirt being pulled back, choking him in the process.
"Hey…umm. Linguini? Do you

think you could --"
“No! No, no, no, I won’t do it!” Linguini protested, throwing her

clutching fingers off his shirt and crossing his arms in indignation.
"I’ll give you eight

euros," Colette pushed him. Linguini cocked an eyebrow at her.
“Ten.”

“Well…,” said Linguini, “I was thinking more like twenty, but…”
“Deal!”

Colette agreed, pulling out a little brown and purple wallet as she said so.
"But…but. I-I didn’t

say…," Linguini stuttered.
“Thanks, Linguini,” she said, slapping twenty, crisp euros

into Linguini’s hands.
“But I…!”
“Have fun!” And with that, Colette flew off

like a pidgeon in mating season, almost tripping over a misplaced rock in her haste to get to a nearby plaza.

She was almost out of eyeshot before Linguini heard his cell phone ring in alarm. Pulling it out, he read

the private message on the screen: “Sucker!” Linguini glared in the direction of Colette.

“Cheater!” he yelled back, earning a couple of disapproving stares from passerby.

“‘Have fun’,” Linguini mocked angrily, quoting Colette’s last departing words.
Parking his

bicycle next to a collection of overflowing trash bins, Linguini took a quick look around his post before

consulting a very dirty, very forlorn looking broom leaning against the brick wall of the cafe’. The poor broom

had been battered up so much, in fact, that it almost looked like a giant, splintered stick, full of holes and on

the brink of snapping clean in two. Despite its untasteful appearance, however, Linguini was quite fond of his

broom; so fond, in fact, that he had taken to carving his initials – L.R. – in it. Colette had even been

tease-happy enough to ask Linguini if he he’d named it, to which he said the same thing he always said:

“It’s not just an “it”! It’s a “she”…”
Linguini was just about to start

his garbage and janitor duties, when the back door banged open with the force of a charging rhino by Skinner, and

at exactly nine o’clock…according to a nearby clock tower, which chimed on the hour.
"Where is

she?! Wheeere…is she??!" yelled Skinner clearly furious and completely oblivious to Linguini, who had been

standing just inches away from the door when it had exploded and was now sprawled on the dust-eaten ground,

looking absolutely terrified.
“You!!” Skinner yelled.
“Ah! M-Me…?” Linguini

asked stupidly, shuddering from an overload of intimidation. “Wha-Whatever it is, I didn’t do it!” he

said, putting his hands up in the air as if under arrest.
“Where…”
Linguini cringed.

“…is…”
Skinner took a step closer to Linguini.
“…she?” Skinner

steamed, putting an emphasis on every syllable.
“Wh-Who?”
"The girl, you idiot! The

girl!!"
“Colette?”
“Oui! She destroyed my kitchen!” Skinner screamed,

taking another, dangerously close step towards Linguini. A trio of heads popped out from behind the engraged

little man, all of whom were wearing an expression of great curiousity.
"Hey, Linguini! Did she give

you the boot?" called Pierre, smiling delightedly now that he knew what was going on.
"You stay

out of this, you ingrates!" Skinner yelled, swiveling around to screamin indignantly at the men.

“What seems to be the trouble?” boomed a familiar voice from the kitchen.
"All the men

gasped as they looked up, wide-eyed, to come face-to-face with the head man himself.
But the tension died

down as quickly as it had come once the workers realized that Gusteau was smiling. Instantly, all the men began

voicing their opinions and concerns at once…
“…wrecked my kitchen, monseur!”
"I

didn’t mean to come in so late! I-I…"
"…I think Robespierre burned another pheasant,

boss."
“It wasn’t my fault she destroyed the idiot bird!”
"Hey, we wouldn’t

take a leaf out of your book even if – "
"-- if you’d all just let me get my mop before the sun

comes up, I’d --"
"Stop! Stop stop. Please, gentlemen. Contain yourselves! You should all be

getting along like cats and tuna. Like carrots and peas. Like…like…" Gusteau stuttered, silencing the

raging crowd.
“…peanut butter and jelly?” Linguini suggested tentatively, finishing the

sentence for him.
“Yes! Yes, thank you, Linguini,” Gusteau complimented him kindly. Linguini

smiled bashfully.
“Alright, gentlemen. I hope that solves everything!” Gusteau boomed happily,

clapping his hands together; although, from the looks of it, it hadn’t – Skinner, at least, was still glaring

at his fellow employees as if he desired to give them each a death wish. Gusteau seemed to have finally noticed,

however, for he said, “Closing time in five minutes, gents! Pack your bags.”
And with that, he

left the kitchen. It was only when he was out of earshot that all the guys – except for Skinner and Linguini –

let out a great “whoop!” of delight.
"I dunno why you guys hate cooking so much. I think

it’s kinda fun…," Linguini said.
“Fun?” asked Pierre, surprised. All the rest of the men

around him had turned to go. “I call it torture. I only do it for the dough…”
Linguini glared

at him, as if waiting for him to finish the sentence.
“Ha! Alright, and the girls,” Pierre

chuckled, reading Linguini’s expression.
“Is that all you guys think about?” Linguini

questioned him, turning his palms upward and shrugging his shoulders.
“Mmm…yeah. Pretty much!”

"But there’s more to cooking than that. Much more! Like…like how you have to time everything just

right, or…or how you get to taste-test your dishes before you serve them. Or how you can make up your own

recipes and then win awards for them and stuff. It’s just…sooo…cool!"
"Yeah…sure. So why

aren’t you a cook then, genious?" Pierre asked him.
“Umm…well I…” Linguini faltered,

wondering the exact same thing himself.
"Uh-huh. Listen pal, if I were you I’d stick to the job you

have right now. It fits you better. Plus it’s alot easier than baking pies, I’ll tell you that right

now…"
“Hey, Pierre? Lights out!” called one of the cooks.
"Alright, I’m

coming! Hey, cheer up, old pal. You’ve got a good career, er…nice friends, and a babe of a

girlfriend."
“Wha… Colette? But she’s not my --”
“Yeah. Uh-huh,” Pierre

cut him off, smirking. “What I’m saying is: what more could you want?”
“Pierre!”

yelled one of the men again.
"Oui, oui! Listen, you’re not a complete loser. Just reach for the

stars if you have to. And if you can’t reach the stars, well…then go for the pennies on ground," Pierre

teased. Linguini smiled, a little happier. “Well, see ya’ later, buddy…” Pierre said, turning to go.

“Thanks, Pierre,” Linguini called after him. Pierre simply responded with a "thumbs

up".
But Linguini had to admit that he had always felt as if his current job wasn’t all he had

expected. Not to mention, his friend count wasn’t nearly as high as Pierre had made it sound. Indeed, the only

friend he really did have was Colette, and even she teased him about his cooking obsession at times.

Looking up at the stars that night, Linguini truely wondered if he would ever find a real friend within that city

he lived in – a true friend. Someone that would notice him as more than just a regular old garbage boy on the

streets. What he didn’t notice where a couple of shadows slipping out from beneath a grate behind him, and

running into the kitchen a warp speed…

Any reviews would be much

appreciated, even if it is a little long. :wink:

I’m working on the seventh chapter as we speak. I’m trying

my utmost to make it good. Hopefully, it will turn out the way I want it to.

Hey I liked it! It was a good intro of the restaurant staff characters. So Colette’s the only girl working

there? And Linguini has a low-level job it seems…

lennonluvr9 - Heheh –

thanks for reviewing. :smiley:

Actually, Colette is only one of five to nine ladies working at the restaurant –

I just haven’t introduced them yet. And yep – Linguini is the garbage boy (which is what he is in the film, I

believe). :wink:

Again, thank you. :slight_smile:

Wow ,

i thoguht the chicken-butt thing was just here .

Awesome chapter Mitch ! gotta go before the parents

catch me on . :wink:

Haha – thanks for reviewing it, gottalovepixar!

I’m sorry it was so long, heh. I’ll make the seventh one a little bit shorter for everyone’s convenience.

:wink:

Hey Mitch, when do you plan

on finishing the story? Are you able to finish the story? Just curious. Not rush or anything… :slight_smile:

lennonluvr9 - Heheh – yeah,

I’ve been slacking a bit lately. My apologies for not submitting my newest chapter as of late; I’m actually

working on it as we speak.

Thing is, I’ve been having a little trouble trying to make my tale just right

as so that it ties in nicely with the real story from the film. I’ve got alot of good ideas – I just have to

make them work. Other than that, I’m really liking how my chapters are turning and will turn out. I’m going to

attempt to finish chapter seven today, so you’ll probably see something soon.

Thanks for being curious!

I almost thought people had forgotten about this story – heheh. :smiley:

Mitch

P.S. As an added note – and if anyone is curious – there will be

approxiamately 24 chapters in this story of mine, if not more. I like to write, as you can tell. :wink:

Wahoo!

After all these years and months and

weeks of careless dodling, I finally finished the stinkin’ chapter seven! Here it

is below for your viewing pleasure. I was actually spurred on to complete my work on the chapter by a website I

just recently found; henceforth, I’m quite pleased with how it turned out.

Reviews are much appreciated,

as always.

CHAPTER SEPT: TWO RATS AND A POT HOLDER

Tap, tap, tap.

One pair of pickpockets – the leader blue, his companion brown – sneakily tip-toed their way through the back

door of Gusteau’s restaurant. Sniff, sniff, sniff. Two pairs of whiskers smelled the air for anything sticky or

sweet. Pitter, patter, glomp! Three steps were taken, from outside a nearby counter…to under it, before the

pudgier of the comrads tripped on his tail and crashed down to earth, causing the linoleum floor beneath his feet

to rumble.

“Shh! Quiet, Emile! You want to get us both killed?” Remy screached, as quietly

and as forcefully as he could.

“Sorry,” the other rat said humbly, "But look what I

found!" yipped the fat rat, bouncing up and down on his tiny little legs and holding up a lumpy, green piece

of food that had rolled itself underneath the counter hours earlier. “Bakery from the heavens!”

“That’s ‘brocolli’, Rollie,” Remy said, calling his brother by his nick-name and

wrinkling his nose at the same time. Just the sight of that dirty trinket was making his eyes roll in disgust.

“And don’t eat that! Who’s knows where it’s been? Save it for the good stuff,” said Remy, pointing

up in the direction of the counter.

But Emile had already bitten into the day-old piece of

brocolli…and was chewing it with great delight, his tail twitching in ecstasy. "Mmm. Fyu bwant uh

bwight?" he mumbled, scattering crumbs all over the already dust-eaten floor.

"Uhh…no

thanks. I’d rather live," said Remy, shaking green crumbs off his beautiful, shiny coat as he said so.

“Now, come on! Let me show you the real treasure chest.” And with that, Remy scampered out from under

the counter, Emile at his feet, and into a large, luminous kitchen filled with an eye-catching aray of treasures,

and a sight that made the fatter of the pickpockets’ eyes pop with excitement: Baskets and baskets of delicious

fruit; cookie jars filled to the brim with mouth-watering contents; cupboards upon cupboards stored with

tantalizing treats a rat could only dream of; and best of all, the lingering smell of left-over pizza crumbs

nearby…

Emile’s jaw dropped to the floor, and so did the half-eaten brocolli he was holding.

“Aha!” screached Remy, rubbing his paws together and licking his lips, a sinister look

plastered upon his furry face, "Huh? Huh? Didn’t I tell ya’ it was only the best place in the entire

universe to find food? Just wait 'til I show you the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches…"

But

no sooner had Remy started giving his awe-struck brother a visually memorized layout of the place, carefully

making sure to point out the finer foods of the kitchen, before Emile was off. Hopping past Remy, who was still

standing in place with his index finger pointing towards a microwave, Emile scattered forgotten crumbs out of his

way as he raced to climb up the nearest dish towel and on top of the island counter in the center of the

vacinity.

“Rummy! Felp bwee up dis dish bwowel!” Emile yelled, his mouth still full of the

brocolli he had picked up earlier.

"But…but I haven’t even pointed out where the bread crumbs

are sleeping, you fool!" said Remy frustratedly.

“Git bwee up fweer, I say!”, Emile

pounded back, his pudgy paws still struggling to reach the tenderly placed dishtowel. Sighing in indignation and

rolling his eyes at the spaghetti encrusted ceiling, Remy scampered – on all fours – towards his

basketball-bellied brother, the latter of whom was vainly trying to jump up onto a dishtowel hanging from a

silver ring bored into one side of the island counter, only to fall back down with a “plop” as soon as

he had clung onto it.

Remy held his breath…

“Ohhh…alright. Climb up,” he

said, exposing his back to his exhausted brother. "And please don’t jump up and down on my shoulder like

you did last time…"

“But…”

“No jumping!” Remy warned him.

“Aww…but it’s always so much fun…,” Emile whinned unsatisfactorily, raising his pudgy

legs up and climbing onto Remy’s back…which seemed quite frail and skinny compared to his.

“Ahh…! So much fun to what? Hear me scream in agony…?” Remy groaned, his legs shaking from under

all the weight he was carrying.

“Duh,” Emile replied, surpressing a smile that Remy,

fortunately, didn’t see. “Now here we go… Un…”

“Rrr. Deux…,” Remy groaned

again, sweating.

“Trois!” Emile yelled out the last word with a flourish as Remy threw him

up with all of his might – up…up…and square onto the lower half of the dishtowel ring.

“Bulls-eye!” Emile said joyfully, flinging his arms up into the air, losing his balance, and falling

right back off again…

Ten minutes and a clawed-up dish towel later, Remy and

“Rollie” were exploring the crumb-infested island counter with glee, sniffing here and there so as not

to miss any trace of spilled honey or a hidden peanut half lying around. They were making great time and were

finding lots of treasures for the first half hour – Remy discovered some dill leaves that he found he could use

for his secret recipe, and Emile came to realize what happens when one slides down the cheese grater… The two

brothers even hit a rare jackpot: a dish of brown sugar whose top had been carelessly left open.

“Hey Remy, watch this…,” exclaimed Emile, the lower half of his back bare of fur…thanks to the

previous cheese grater “accident”. “Gerronimo!” Emile took a gigantic leap into the air

before falling into a big bag of flour, scattering the white powdery substance in all directions.

“Hey! - cough - Watch it!”, choked Remy, rubbing his tiny, pea-shaped eyes of the escaping flour before

glancing up at his brother.“You look like a ghost…,” Remy remarked, peering up at Emile, the latter

of whom had stuck his head out of the flour bag and was now shaking his ears of the albino dust. Remy dropped a

piece of oatmeal cookie he was holding to hop up onto the bag and attempt to pull his brother out of the floury

mess. It took at least ten or fifteen tugs to finally send Emile crashing down to the base of the counter with a

“plop”.

“Oof!” Emile puffed, landing flat on his bottom and sending a cloud of

white smoke to fly off his fur and infect the kitchen.

“Feeling alright,” Remy asked his

brother tenderly, coughing from the excess dust of flour. Emile shook his ears in reply.

“Yep,” Emile said, sighing satisfactorily. "But that sugar is disgusting! It tastes like white

dirt…"

“That’s because it’s flour, you dope. You don’t eat it raw!”

“Oh. Well…it looked like sugar…” Emile hung his head bashfully.

“Oh no…,”

Remy said, looking behind his ghostly white brother.

“‘Oh no’ what?” Emile asked, checking

his fur for debris. “Is there something on me?”

“Look!”

Quickly, Emile

turned around to find a steady stream of footprints going from the flour bag to his very white and powdery feet

– a trail that the chefs would most certainly find if it was left to sit there. And even though Remy was quite

rat-like in nature, he was smart enough to always clean up after himself when he’d made a mess. Emile on the

other hand…

“What?” the rollie-pollie rat asked innocently, still staring at the

footprints as if he could see right through them.

“You made a mess, that’s what,” Remy

replied in an annoyed fashion, cleary disgusted that his brother never understood the obvious.

“Oh, hark who’s talking. Look at you!” Emile snapped back, pointing at Remy’s fur and at the counter

behind his brother.

Remy swiveled around to face a half-eaten oatmeal cookie lying on the counter,

before quickly brushing his fur of the cookie’s almost magnetic-like crumbs. It didn’t take much for Emile to

forgive his embarassed brother, though; four seconds were all it took for him to start laughing in Remy’s face,

the latter of whom began staring around the room to get his attention off of his obviously blatent mistake. His

eyes came to rest upon a white, round clock in one corner of the kitchen. It was a very odd-looking clock, with a

spoon and a fork as the hands and each hour bearing a different cheese – havarti for three o-clock, cheddar for

six, brebe for nine, and camembert for the grand time of twelve. Right now, the three pointy tips of the

fork-shaped hour hand was pointed towards the number nine; the minute hand was looking at the twenty-one

marker.

Remy skipped. What luck! After having observed the activities of the chefs, customers, and 

night watchmen for a couple of days, it quickly became apparent to the little rodent that the doors of the

restaurant didn’t lock up until after 10:30 – this being because the surrounding clergy did their cleaning

duties before that time, and it just so happened that the kitchen in which Remy and his brother were playing in

was the one room that was always tidied up last. However, if Remy had taken a glance at a calendar below the

deliciously-painted clock, he would have seen that it was a Tuesday…and “that garbage boy” – as

Remy called him – always helped to clean the back dumps and kitchens early on Tuesdays…

Ah, but the

little rat paid the calendar no heed! What were the days to him anyway? Simply more time to cook delicious meals

and dance with the kitchen utensils in the blackened evenings of Paris’ most famous restaurant, of course.

Undetered, Remy went back to his activities…

Looking up, down, and around, the diminuative blue

rat’s eyes finally settled themselves on a broom leaning against the island counter upon which he and his

brother were exploring. "[i]Now why hadn’t I seen that there in the first

place?[/i]" Remy thought to himself, invertedly laughing at the fact that his brother had

attempted to climb up on the counter by way of a very loosely hanging dish towel.

Remy walked up to

the broom and kicked it hard to make sure that it was sturdy and strong enough to grab onto and swing from to

another line of counters on the opposite side. Hopping up and down slightly from his now pulsating toe, Remy

latched onto the “witch’s vehicle” – as he liked to call it – and wrapped his tail tightly around

it.

“Hey Emile, give me a boost,” Remy yelled to his pudgy comrade, the latter of whom was

digging in a bowl of juicy, red grapes.

“Hmm?” Emile asked stupidly, turning his head around

to reveal two very puffed up, grape-filled cheeks. He swallowed hard. " - gulp - Ahh…

Coming!"

All it took was one look at his skinny, silky-furred brother for Emile to get the point.

Taking a good, long, running position at the far end of the counter, he began to scamper as fast as his stubby

little legs would carry him before skidding up to Remy and pushing him forward with all the thrust he could

exert, sending Remy gliding through the air from one counter to the other. ‘Bump!’ went the broom as it tapped

the opposite counter every so lightly. Remy, his eyes closed to brace for the impact, carefully opened one pupil

to just his landing position. Right on target! Smiling, he hopped off the rickety broom and onto the tile-plated

counter…

“Hm?” a young man with bright red hair and a puzzled expression questioned

himself, pausing from sweeping the back patio of “Gusteau’s!” cafe’ to slightly jolt from hearing a

nearby broom lightly hit a counter somewhere in the backround. It was Linguini. His hands tigtened every so

softly on his own broom, his eyes wide with a growing tension. What was that noise? “Hmmm…,” Linguini

pondered again. “Eh – probably just a clinking bottle or…something,” he

thought to himself. But it didn’t really sound like a clinking bottle to him – more like a…tapping broom. A

tapping broom?!!

“Come on, Emile. Don’t be a chicken!” Remy enticed, tossing the broom back

to Emile and trying to get his well-rounded brother to join him on the other side.

"Yeah,

but…what if I fell?" Emile countered, glancing at the hard linoleum floor with unease.

“Well…your butt will break the fall. Now, come on!”

"That’s not funny. What if the

broom broke as I was swinging over it?"

"Then we’d probably be caught and would die a

horrible death in the garbage disposel. Now…just grab onto the broom and swing across! Come on!" Remy

said, his sharp remarks biting the air like a whip.

“But…what if --”

"Dude,

just come on, man! We only have so many hours befo – ", but Remy’s last

remark was cut short by the sound of footsteps approaching the kitchen door.

Remy’s ears twiched. His

whiskers quivered. “All right. No need to jump to conclusions…,” he tried to reassure himself, all

too aware of his wobbly…shaking knees. Emile seemed completely undetered by the musical

“clip-clopping” sounds of the footseps coming every closer to the door, and instead kept trying to

summon up the courage to swing from one side of the counter to the other via the broom. Remy heard the door

click…

“It’s just… - gulp – …the wind. Yeah…that’s right. The wind!”

Click…clack…creeaak.

“Ahh! Ruuun, Emile! Scatter!”

Before Linguini could even turn the lights on, two little rodents had scampered down the counter and out the

back door of the kitchen in a flash! However, if Emile had been a little more careful, he would have taken the

time to not knock down a pot holder…and then slip on it on the way out…

Linguini, having flipped

the lights on, batted the aluminating glare of sudden sudden sunshine out of his eyes before glancing at the

creaking back door. He went to shut it…but slipped underneath the pot holder and landed square on his bottom.

“Ohhh… Yow!” screached Linguini, pulling out the pot holder from beneath his pants and

throwing it aside so that he could rub his aching underside. "Ohh…I wish they wouldn’t leave their stuff

hanging around on the floors all the time…," Linguini said, addressing the chefs who had all gone home

quite some time ago. Propping himself up again by grabbing onto the island counter and hoisting himself up,

Linguini set about uncovering the perpetrators who had caused the broom to fall from one side to the other. He

picked up the broom and… But wait…! Better not waste time slipping on the pot holder again, Linguini mused.

Setting the rickety old broom aside, Linguini shuffled to a far corner of the kitchen…where the pot holder lie

abandoned and dejected.

“Heheh – sorry old friend,” Linguini said, patting the pot holder

tenderly. “I was just…” And then he saw it: white flour on the potholder. And what should be

imbedded into that floury mass…but a set of footprints that looked suspiciously like a rats’ pair of feet.

Linguini stared…disgusted, and not just with the rats. If anyone – Skinner in particular – found out that

another fuzzy little perpetrator had sneaked into the kitchen he would be fired for sure. Quickly, Linguini

whipped the last of the powdery flour off the pot holder with the underside of his suit before running to a back

room and flinging the soft holder into a rusty old dish washer that no one ever used. Locking the door behind

him, he let out a long…slow…sigh of relief. If anyone found those prints, he was doomed…

"[i]Well, at least I’m the only one who has to take the night shift

tonight![/i]," Linguini chuckled to himself in a tense, but reassuring, fashion as he stepped out

the kitchen door onto the outside patio before going back to his cleaning duties. Unfortunately, if the forlorn

garbage boy had looked at the kitchen floor more closely, he would have noticed another set of footprints leading

out the back door and into a protruding, open manhole in the street…

Hee Hee , I knew you would get your preffered name for

Emile in there somehow . And I was lmbo when Remy said that Emile’s butt would break his fall . Ha Ha !

:laughing:

gottalovepixar - Haha – thanks! And yeah, I added

a touch of me and my sister’s humor in there. Everything has to be a joke… :laughing:

Again, thank you for

reading so quickly! My sincere apologies that I haven’t finished reading yours yet. I’ll get to it, don’t

worry. :wink:

Yay! a new chapter! I thought for sure Linguini would have discovered them there. but that’s probably still

coming isnt it? :wink:

lennonluvr9 - Heheh –

thanks for reviewing! Yep – Linguini will find them later. I’ll let Remy and Emile get away with snooping

around the kitchens for just a little while longer before they finally get caught… (snigger) :wink:

Hey! This is awesome- I just read it

all. I like your writing style, in fact I envy you. You write just enough to paint a picture in the mind and to

get the point across; something I strive to do. I either write too little or too much, not ‘just right’ =P I

ramble on. ^^;

This is cool that you’re writing this- you can compare to when the film comes out and see

how your first impressions of the characters relate to the real thing.

I applaud you! :slight_smile: Keep it

comin’!

FONY - Haha – well thank you, FONY!

I really appreciate it. :smiley:

Yeah, my mom says I have a “thing” for writing and says that I should

pursue a side career as an author. It’s kind of an obsession at times; one time I wrote an entire novel for my

English teacher when I was supposed to just do a short, 300-word report. (snigger) Hmm. Maybe I should seriously

think about going into the literature department – heheh.

Aww – don’t say that! I’m sure with a little

practice and some knowledge you’ll get the hang of it. Just remember to have fun; that’s very important. :wink:

But yeah – thank you for the compliment! hugs

– Mitch

[b]To

everybody[/b]: Hey guys! Sorry I haven’t written/submitted another chapter in a while. I was kinda

waiting to gather more information about the film itself for reference before I began work on the eighth

installment, but I think I’m satisfied now. I’ll start to write out the next chapter soon! :smiley:

You’re welcome :slight_smile:
I really think you should be an

author- I’m trying to be.

I’m writing a novel that I’ve developed for over a year now- the real problem

is just starting the thing. I read a book that helped me out- called ‘If You Want To Write’(I forget the author

=P but if you’re interested I’ll find out). It gives great tips and I highly recommend it. It helped me to feel

less pressured and just to write how the story goes without thinking of who will hate it= big problem with me.

=P

Writing is fun, but I’ve always written fanfiction- once it comes to flying solo on your original

ideas, it gets hard. I just kept redeveloping until I came to what I truly wanted, and the developing is going to

continue- I’m sure of it. But you’re right- it’s loads of fun. :slight_smile:

Great stuff, Mitch. I

am looking forward to Chapter Huit. :smiley:

Mitch- Sorry I haven’t reviewed in so long, but since

it’s Easter now and there’s no school, I’ve had a chance to sit down and read through what you’ve written.

The characterisation, especially of Remy, is building up very well, and you can just feel the eagerness and love

he has for food. I love the relationshuip between Emile and Remy, also. Nice cliffhanger! :smiley:

FONY - The

important thing – at least to me – is to believe in what you’re doing will be successful; dont’ look at the

negative side of things and worry whether or not someone will love your hate your work. There is bound to be

somebody out there who will cheer you on and compliment your writing. Also, don’t stress out – have fun! The

more fun you have writing your story, and the more you really get “into it”, the better it turns out.

Sooo…reach for the stars, I say! Reading books on the subject is a great start, and not giving up is

number two on the list of things to do when contructing a story (unless it begins to turn out horribly –

(snigger) ). So just keep up the good work, whatever you’re writing! I’m sure it’ll turn out wonderful. :wink:

sharpie - Thanks, dude/dudette! Yep, I’m going to begin work on number

eight soon. :smiley:

lizardgirl - Well, thank you! I’m much obliged! The

relationship between Remy and Emile is based upon the bond between my sister and I, as we’re very close.

I wrote a chapter last night that appears near the very end of my story – I just felt like writing it at

that moment, as I was in the mood to do it. It involves a very deep and heartful moment in the plot; I can’t

wait to submit it to you all to read, but I’ll have to wait until I finish the other chapters first.

I

get what you mean. ^^ I’m going on a sorta freefall with my novel. I’m writing whatever comes to mind as far as

dialogue and description goes, and I’ll fill in whatever needs ‘fluffing up’ later on.

Meehhhhhh

update! xD I keep checking back to see if you made an update and you haven’t! =P

Don’t rush though.

Just wanted to say I eagerly await your next chapter. ^^