Lee Unkrich's next feature film

I would really include Docter in your list of auteurs. I think he has his style, and it’s great! I can’t wait for his next project.

Fair enough! I was putting him on the fence in any case.

I completely agree with this. Maybe it’s just a lack of zaniness with his films; where the others guys aren’t afraid to take risks with their storylines, and aren’t afraid to step out of the box, Lasseter seems to stick with what is safe. I don’t blame him, not at all, because writing about what you know is key to writing a good story, but his stories don’t open the floodgates up for much imagination; it’s very much Lasseter’s vision in Cars, rather than the 5 year old boy who adores it. I feel that with a good story, you should be able to project something of yourself and your imagination into it.
Not saying that Lasseter is not imaginative, and that he can’t think out of the box, but he thinks about “what could be” rather than “what could lead to this”.

I’m sure Lasseter has stated a million and one times that Pixar are a director driven studio, and you can totally see it! All of Pixar’s films have a directors vibe about them :slight_smile:

I totally want more Stanton! I really, really hope he comes back to Pixar to direct a new film after John Carter is wrapped up :slight_smile:. I think he is the biggest “risk-taker” and so far, all of his risks have paid off. Brad Bird, although I’m not massively keen on his films, has a very cinematic, ambitious execution to his films; they feel like big budget Hollywood blockbusters rather than just Animated Kids films-and I totally love his statement about “How he will punch the next person who calls animation a genre” :mrgreen:
I really want Lasseter and Stanton to get together and make another classic though because I think it will be both old school and ambitious and epic and awesome… :smiley:

I have my fingers crossed that MI: Ghost Protocol, which I fully don’t plan on seeing in theaters (haven’t seen any MI movies), will be successful enough at the box office to allow for Bird to return to this ambitious 1906 project… and then come back to Pixar. :3

And yes, Stanton should come back as well. John Carter sadly looks rather predictable to me so far in both trailers, so I’m hoping Stanton offers something new to the genre.

I think Ratatouille is the Pixar film that feels the most like an auteur film. Such a masterpiece.

I need Bird to return to Pixar.

I have mixed feelings about John Carter, and I may see MI: Ghost Protocol on the basis of Brad Bird and the fact that I love Simon Pegg. It’s great that these guys are doing live action, but surely live action and animation direction are a different kettle of fish, and if it doesn’t work out…they can come back to Pixar and make more awesome movies :mrgreen:

I 100% agree with you.

Same, I hope he does another original movie.

NEWS:

Lasseter said Unkrich’s project is about the Mexican holiday called Día de los Muertos.

We could get a good eerie film here.

Sounds ambitious already. My guess is that this will come out in 2016.

The date so far is given as 2015

All I have to say about this is… AWESOME!! It’s original, and it’s not Toy Story 4! Can’t wait!!

I know!

I like the idea, but the best thing is that this confirms Unkrich isn’t working on TS4.

Prediction time: People will start comparing this movie to Corpse Bride and the likes in 5… 4… 3… :mrgreen:

If so, I think it would be a completely uncalled comparison.

Death is a common theme in arts. And the setting and plot of this will be completely different (about the second thing I can only guess, but I’m pretty sure)

I’m glad to hear original projects from Pixar instead of them “selling out.”

Yeah, totally! My comment was jokingly poking at uncalled comparisons that Brave got drawn with How to train your flying lizard, and whatnot :mrgreen: There are literally a billion of directions this movie can take, so it’s going to be curious what Unkrich is developing. Real-life setting (aka Rio) or fantasy-laden (aka Brave)? Contemporary or historical or futuristic?Another female protagonist? Possibilities are endless!

Oh, I get you, then. Yes, it would be similar to those comparisons.

I think Día de los Muertos (in original Spanish) could be a nice and attractive title.

I am SO excited! I’ve been fascinated by Dia de los Muertos ever since that Wild Thornberrys episode. I can’t wait to see what they do with this!

YES! A million times yes! Yeeeeesssssssss. face melts off