Inception

You are going to love it!

I loved it! It left me speechless.

Yay! I am so happy you liked it.

What was your favortie aspect of the film? I think mine was the script.

Of course! Just like with The Prestige, I loved the fact that you can make countless theories and all of them could be potentially right.

I’m glad you finally got to see it Spirit! Wasn’t it just amazing? I’m definitely going to try and see it again in theaters, there were a few things I didn’t catch on to on the first viewing. In response to your question love70ways, I think my favorite aspect of the movie was just the whole idea of dream invasion. I also really liked how whatever was happening to your physical body would carry over into your dream, for example, the zero gravity sequence in the hotel. The actors did an amazing job as well, especially Cotillard and DiCaprio.

What about theories? Do you guys have your own? We should have a chat season and discuss them :stuck_out_tongue:

I was just about to say, I’m surprised this thread isn’t more active. This movie is very open ended, and everyone can interpret it differently. Personally, I’m of the opinion that he made it out of the dream and is in reality by the end of the film, although I can see why people think he’s still stuck in limbo. Then there are people who think the whole thing is just one giant dream, with a lot of dreams-within-dreams thrown in, which, frankly, gives me a headache :open_mouth: What do you guys think?

[spoil]I also think he’s awake. [/spoil]But I accept most arguments that point otherwise are also very valid. Same with The Prestige.

Maybe people isn’t discussing the movie in here because everything would be a spoiler.

You both should use spoiler warnings, just in case someone is reading who hasn’t seen the film.

As for my theories, did you read my extremely long post? I have a few there.

Ever since I’ve seen Inception and read all the guides and discussion on the internet, I always still had just one lingering question/possible plothole:

[spoil]Remember at the end when they wake up in the Boeing 747 and immediately Saito reaches for the phone to make the phone call that would clear Cobb so that he could land in the US? Wasn’t the original agreement that Saito would make the call only if Cobb performed the inception properly? The problem is, how would Saito know that Cobb performed it correctly? I mean there’s not really any way of measuring if the idea was planted successfully. For all Saito knows, Cobb and the rest of his team could have just lied to Saito and said they planted the idea, because Saito was in Limbo at the time Fischer entered the vault and he wouldn’t know if it worked or not. And for all we know, the inception might have completely failed because even the audience never finds out if Fischer truly does dissolve his father’s empire.[/spoil]

Anyone have an explanation?

Well, Saito realizes that Cobb risked his life by entering Limbo to save him. If not for Cobb, Saito would be scrambled eggs. He must immediately trust Cobb know, and figures he owes him his life, and makes the call regardless of the outcome. Perhaps he did jump the gun a bit, but is it really necessary to see Saito informed of the inception run’s success? Nolan probably didn;t think so, and I agree. And sure, we don’t know if Fischer ends up dissolving the empire (because the film ends). The audience does know however, that the inception was successful, as seen in Level 1 of the inception run when Fischer opens up to Brownie (disguuised as Eames) in the rain on the bank of the river. That leads us to assume Fischer believes the idea is his own and ends up dissolving the empire.

Well, he makes a “jump of faith”, if you will. Just like Cobb did with him when he accepted the job.

I saw Following today! Now I can say I’ve seen every Nolan film to date. They are all great.

I’ve only seen three Nolan films (these and the two Batman ones). I really need to expand my viewing and experience all of his work.

You should really watch The Prestige and Memento love70ways! Those two films, along with Inception, were the inspiration for my sig :wink:

Is still Inception your favorite over The Dark Knight, Evil_Genius_27?

Now that the initial fuzz is over, I mean.

Hmm, that’s a good question Spirit. I think Inception is the better film, but The Dark Knight is more fun, in my opinion. Plus, Heath Ledger’s Joker is one of my favorite movie characters of all time, so that certainly helps. I guess I’d say I like them both equally, but for different reasons. However, I’d have to watch them both again to be sure.

Yay! I’m glad to see this thread hot again. Let’s never stop discussing this movie or director.

To throw my own opinion into the ring, I believe that The Dark Night is the better film. The concept of Inception truly blew my mind (as I’m sure you have noticed) but I found Inception as a film only good/above average. The Dark Night, on the other hand, I believe deserved the Best Picture Nomination.

Two of the best films in the past three years no doubt, though.

That’s exactly how I feel about the matter.

Inception has so many things to love: the concept, the multi-layered storyline, the acting, the visuals like the zero gravity fight, the music and that weird but lovely blonde at the bar 8D

But I still think I enjoy The Dark Knight the most, but out of personal reasons.

A bit off topic here, but has anyone seen Shutter Island? Anyone notice that Leonardo DiCaprio’s character in that movie is very similar to his chatacter in Inception? [spoil]Teddy Daniels, from Shutter Island, can’t let go of his wife and the fact that he killed her, while Dom Cobb from Inception blames himself for his wife’s death. Both of their wives were suicidal, and both cause problems for them even after their deaths. Teddy refuses to move on, and because of that, he can’t accept reality and makes up his own instead. Dom keeps seeing his wife in his dreams, which really holds him back. Both men can’t see their kids because of their dead wives: Teddy because his wife murdered them, and Dom because everyone thinks he murdered his wife.[/spoil] I just thought these similarities were interesting, and I wondered what you guys thought.