Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Man, even so, this movie still seems a bit young to me. Sorry but, anything affiliated to dinosaurs is better off done in Jurassic Park style. Of course, no one was able to succeed JP yet, so, i’m still waiting. :wink:

Oh my gosh I can’t bevieve Ellie is [spoil]pregnant![/spoil] wow I’m sooo excited!Crash and Eddie are going to be [spoil]uncles![/spoil]I can’t wait for the movie to come out! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Courtesy of the IMDB board, I’ve found a financial report on Blue Sky Studios’ move to Greenwich, Connecticut (which brings to mind Pixar’s move to Emeryville, heh).

There’s some nice glimpses of the studios and the behind-the-scenes process of the movie (I always enjoy watching this kinda stuff to get a feel of the different animation companies’ ethics and vibe).

Even more pertinent is we get to see more scenes of Buck the dino-hunter, and even get to hear a quote from him (though I’m not sure whether it’s a scratch footage or the actual voice actor, which would disprove the Harrison Ford rumour). Now I’m wondering what Rule Number Two is. :smiley:

I also liked the intro by the stiff-looking news reader when he says the characters’ names. :laughing:

Watch it HERE!

I don’t know if everybody already knows what Buck the eyeless hunter { :confused: } looks like, but I saw a picture of him on a shampoo bottle. There was also one with [spoil]Sid holding a dinosaur egg with a dinosaurs head popping out…[/spoil]

Anyway I don’t know what to think about, how this movie will be. The first one was VERY good but the second one was endless fart jokes. {Horton hears a who. Also Blue sky.} The ice age movies all have good concepts and are pretty good. :slight_smile: Plus Scrat has a romance. :laughing: I can’t beleive Ellie is pregnant! But then again I could see it now. Ice age 4; Manny takes care of his child.

I think the [spoil]Sid holding the egg part was referring to the hint in his character bio and the plot synopsis of his attempts at creating “his own makeshift family by hijacking some dino eggs”. It’s probably the impetus for the gang travelling into the underground dino world, namely to rescue him.[/spoil]

Maybe you could take a pic of the shampoo bottles next time you see it, TAMATER? Man, Blue Sky’s getting a real early jump on their promotional campaign. :smiley:

I’m excited for a more meatier trailer that will show [spoil]Buck the dino hunter… and Ellie getting preggers… and of course the Scrat and Scratte love-hate relationship. [/spoil] :slight_smile:

Maybe you could take a pic of the shampoo bottles next time you see it, TAMATER? Man, Blue Sky’s getting a real early jump on their promotional campaign. :smiley:

The only reason I did’nt take a picture of it was because I did’nt want to get arested. :laughing: Anyway They’ve just started making mercindice?, so the invasion might come like Monsters vs. Aliens stuff. :laughing:

I take pictures of movie merchandise in stores (if i’m too strapped for cash to buy it myself or if I want to show it to someone) and posters/cardboard standees in cinema lobbies. You just have to be discreet. The only times I wouldn’t do it is if they actually post a signboard saying cameras or photography is not allowed. Otherwise, it’s fair game. I think of it as free advertising for the films when such finds are posted on forums like this. But I understand if you don’t want to :slight_smile:, I just hope they release similar shampoo bottles so I can have a look.

They’ve released a new game called Bubble Trouble on the official website. It involves you guiding a bubble with Scrat or Scratte (depending on which character you choose at the start menu) inside as it floats to the top of the level. Along the way, you collect acorns and avoid obstacles. I don’t know whether this is a hint of whether there will be a similar scene with any of the squirrels trapped in a bubble, or the whether the settings used in the levels will appear in the film. Anyway, it’s a fun activity if you got a few minutes to kill. :wink:

Oh, and the background music is the same song from the trailer: “You’ll Never Find Another Love Like Mine” by Lou Rawls. In case you’re curious. It’s now an earworm in my head. :smiley:

Official Website (Just click on Scrat hanging from the sign and a separate game window will launch)

In Farnsworth voice GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! There’s a brand-new trailer released (apparently in Thailand judging by the subtitles) that explains how [spoil]the dinosaur era seems to exist simultaneously to the Ice Age, how Sid is going to be a ‘dad’, the first completed shot of Buck in a heart-stopping sequence, and another intense Scrat vs (loves?) Scratte moment![/spoil]

It’s looking increasingly interesting to me. My favourite bits were 00:41, 00:50, 00:58, 1:13, 1:50-1:58 (very titillating, and painful!), and 2:15-2:20 (most adult joke and the funniest one ever in the entire series! I can’t stop laughing! :laughing:). Granted some of the jokes were of the toilet humour variety that Dreamworks excels at, but there has been some witty one-liners and situational comedies from the first two films that I enjoyed, and the prehistoric world has to be their boldest setpiece yet! Although it kind of reminds me of Up’s jungle setting too, hurr hurr. :wink:

TRAILER 3

Am I the only excited for this next adventure (besides TAMATER and L&S?) :confused:

No, you definitely aren’t! I am hyped up for this film as well! I must admit, when I first heard of it coming out (back when I first started this thread), I was rolling my eyes, going, “Ugh, another sequel. It might end up like Shrek did.” And I kept that opinion for a while. But after some time, especially after seeing the clips with Scratte, I’m convinced that this movie will actually be really enjoyable. I especailly can’t wait to see Scrat and Scratte’s moments!

Thanks for sharing that trailer, thedriveintheatre! I watched it and it really actually looks good. And OMG the ending made me laugh out loud. :laugh:

Does anyone know who are the people who actually created the Scrat character? I know that in the dvd that Fox contacted Chris Wedge and some woman claimed to have already come up with a general story. Then there is a screenplay credit to some guy. They were in pre-production somewhere and Wedge decided that since we don’t see any snow till halfway thru, it was time to change things or add something. Somehow two people coming up with Scrat and him being the first part of the movie fully animated as an inspiration to the rest of the crew… but does anyone know who’s creation Scrat is?

Also, I ran across this while googling this information, found it amusing:

toplessrobot.com/2008/06/the … r_made.php

Edit: the wikipedia refers to Scrat as a ‘breakout character’, which means he is unintendedly the most popular in the series. This was apparent I think even before release, listening to the director and producer during the dvd commentary. Oh btw, the first Ice Age got a 78% on the tomatometer, which is pretty good.

Glad you’re another fan, BDD! Perceptions change over time. I’m also support the Scrat x Scratte 'ship!

And yeah, that end-joke was incredibly daring and risque, I might add. :smiley:

DarkHand: So you’re a fan of the sabre-toothed squirrel too? Cool! I wonder who was Scrat’s ‘maker’ too, they should credit him/her in the Making-Of documentaries on the DVD, if they haven’t done it already.

The link was interesting. Personally, I think the reviewer was a little cruel about putting films like Cars, Robots, Dinosaur, Spirits Within and Shrek 2 there. Those were pretty good films which had some amount of creativity and courage in their concepts, just that they didn’t quite pull it off as spectacularly as we hoped.

I would’ve put Bee Movie, Delgo, Antz, and The Ant Bully into that list.

The rest like the first Ice Age, Chicken Little, Shark Tale, Polar Express and Shrek the Turd, I mean Third, deserve their places in the Hall of Mediocre Animation.

The reviewer got Scrat’s species wrong by the way. He’s a squirrel, not a rat! Squirrels love acorns, not rats! Was he paying attention?

Anyone else has seen the trailer and has thoughts on it? I’m surprised this got a quicker release in Thai theatres than on iTunes Movie Trailers or something.

I don’t know if this has already been mentioned, but a new trailer is out. It’s petty funny and it gives away some more information. Honestly it’s not that good of a trailer but I still think the movie will be good. :laughing:

Uh… yeah, it has, TAMATER. That would be me. :laughing:

You can find the link a few posts up. I agree with you, I’d love to see more of an explanation to the movie rather than just random scenes stitched together (it reminds me of the Up trailer), but I guess they want to keep the story under wraps for now. I like how much they’ve revealed so far, I don’t really want too much of the film spoiled for me.

Why would you be here in this thread if you didn’t like the first Ice Age? Clearly the 2nd one wasn’t as good, I would be long gone if I were you…

Anyways, the first Ice Age got a 78% on the tomatometer (Cars 75%, Shrek2 89%, Antz was very high, 95%!, but Shrek3, Robots and IceAge2 were in the 50% area which means mediocre, typically “wonderful animation but thin(ice) storyline”. Bee Movie was almost in the rotten category. The Ant Bully had mixed reviews, while FF: Spirits Within was rated as messed up. Shark Tale was rated poorly, Polar Express mediocre.) But we all have our favorites amongst these also-rans, and like them for various reasons. Others just didn’t live up to the hype.

I was somewhat disappointed with IA2, and am sure hoping they had 3 years to figure out how to write an impressive script, instead of just more cashing in. In the first two, they relied a lot on being on the move the whole time. Hopefully they won’t have to spend an hour running from a herd of dinosaurs that slipped thru a time rift.

Uh… just because I didn’t like the first, doesn’t mean I hate the second! :confused: The first was by no means terrible, like I said, it belonged in the Hall of Animated Mediocrity. It certainly is the better of the rest of the lot I mentioned, but it’s definitely not even above average.

In fact, I liked the second better! This is just my opinion, but they managed to flesh out each of the characters personalities deeper (albeit quite crudely, but an attempt nonetheless, instead of just Diego for the first movie). We got a glimpse of each of their own inner demons: Manny’s fear of never finding a mate, Diego’s aversion of water, and Sid’s desire to be respected. Like I said, it’s a little simplistic, but much better presented than the first.

The plot for the second was darker too, with the prehistoric animals facing possible extinction and embarking on a mass exodus Noah’s Ark-style for survival. And we got more screentime for Scrat as he’s put through increasingly dangerous predicaments.

I’d say the second one had a more captivating story, richer characters (not to mention a bigger cast, with the inclusion of Ellie and her ‘twin brothers’), and better special effects (especially the climatic flood).

Aaanyway… I pray the third should push the series (hopefully) to new heights. I’m gonna take a wild guess here and predict Manny is going to have overprotective issues over [spoil]Ellie and their baby[/spoil], Sid will have to face responsibilities of taking care of [spoil]the dino kids[/spoil], Crash will [spoil]lose his brother Eddie’s admiration to Buck the Dino Hunter[/spoil] (I base this on RoseTaffy’s hypothesis on the IMDB boards) and Scrat will have to face off against his biggest nemesis and at the same time, sweetheart. The Jurassic world should also be on the level of Up and The Incredibles’ beauty in rendering lush jungle settings.

So yeah, I guess I have a reason to be here! :stuck_out_tongue: But I agree with your stats on the various stinkers. I guess the critics pretty much confirm our opinions anyway. I’m also hoping they can come up with a better script for IA3, though I was quite satisfied with IA2’s. :slight_smile:

I have to admit, the Ice Age series is my guilty pleasure :laughing: Yet, I never thought they would make a third and when I first saw the teaser I just thought this was going to be another Shrek. I should have known better though, after seeing Horton Hears a Who (Which was also a really great movie) After the theatrical trailer, I really think they could pull this off! :smiley:

I’m new to trying to understand the animation industry, beyond being just an avid fan of good movies. So what a pleasant surprise to learn that Horton and Ice Age are some of the few full length films from this relatively young studio. Here is a list I dug up at the wiki:

Animated features
* Ice Age (2002)
* Robots (2005)
* Ice Age: The Meltdown (2006)
* Horton Hears a Who! (2008)
* Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009, in production)
* The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs (2010)
* Green Eggs and Ham (2011)
* Robots 2 (2012)

Short films
* Bunny (1998, Academy Award winner)
* Gone Nutty (2002, Academy Award nominee)
* Aunt Fanny’s Tour of Booty (2005)
* No Time for Nuts (2006 Academy Award nominee)
* Surviving Sid (2008)

I pray IA3 is a return to the quality of the first one and not another nose dive. Some here have commented that putting in a dinosaur is a bad sign. And even tho Robots was a visual feast, plz don’t make another one…sigh.

Dinosaurs evolved over 200 million years ago, and were wiped out(unless you count birds)65 million years ago, long before the first Ice Age even started, which was around 35,000 years ago. The last Ice Age, which was kicked off by what’s called the “Younger Dryas Event”(possibly the result of a comet striking the Canadian Ice Shield and then scattering cometary debris at the Carolinas, like a giant cosmic shotgun blast), ended some 10,000 years ago, more or less. So, yeah…those characters DO seem to have had rather long lifespans indeed!

pitbulllady

Wait a second, Robots 2? :open_mouth: The most ridiculous sequel ever!

pitbulllady- Great scientific explanation! Did you study paleontology or something! :smiley:

And lizardgirl, you’re not the first to point out the historical paradox. Just look at the IMDB boards…

woody - Well, how’d you know Robots 2 would suck? I mean, the new trailer certainly changed your opinion of Ice Age 3, didn’t it?

Well, if anyone’s a fan of Simon Pegg (I thoroughly enjoyed Shaun of the Dead and Run Fat Boy Run, with plans to see Hot Fuzz and How To Lose Friends…), you’d be glad to know he’s voicing Buck the dino-hunter instead of Harrison Ford! I’m a bit disappointed Indy didn’t get to voice a character inspired by him, but Pegg’s a pretty good choice too since he’s a funny guy. I’m excited to hear his voice-acting debut!

EW article