How did you enter the Pixar fandom?

Once upon a time there was a little girl named Ami. Her favourite movies were always animated ones, some of which included the Toy Stories and Monsters, Inc.
She may not have known it, but the creators of those movies would make a big impact on her life someday.
Ami also had a huge interest in cars. She owned a wide colection of Hotwheels as well as Barbies through her early childhood. She always had a good chat with real life cars because they were her friends. Sometimes she even gave hugs to real life cars when Daddy got fed up of them and changed them.

Then one day, 11-year-old Ami saw a trailer for a talking cars film whilst in theatres. She noticed it was from the same creators as her memorable early childhood movies. “Pixar can read my mind!” she would exclaim.
After several months of sheer anticipation, Ami saw this movie on Thursday August 3rd 2006 and was abosolutely blown away by it.
It was then that she declared that she wanted to work for Pixar.
Every year since, she has seen every Pixar movie and to this day has remained a true fan. Her dream hasn’t faded, and certainly never will.
Whoever thought that an oblivious little girl fascinated by a studio’s films would grow up to be a crazed fan of their work.

There’s my “story” :laughing:

It all started for me on my 16th birthday. I’d seen most of the other movies many times but I never was really into them, but after seeing Wall-E on my birthday I fell in love with the studio, and after a couple months of googling facts about Wall-E ( was really into robotics at the time) I started looking up stuff about computer graphics and realizing how awesome it all is. Then I watched the Pixar Story on the Wall-E DVD and well, now it’s my life. <3

Best birthday ever!!!

Well, it all started soon after October 29, 1996. My father came with a VHS of a movie my parents had never heard called Toy Story. So I watched and fell head over heels in love with it. Whenever I would watch, my mom knew she had 81 minutes of free time. Then, in 1999, a little film called Toy Story 2 was released and I was enthralled. After that, I fell in love with every Pixar film afterwards. Then, after knowing what Toy Story 3 was about, an idea popped in my head, what if Andy grew up even more and had a kid? And that was how my fanfic, Toy Story 4, was born.

I’ve seen Pixar movies all my life, I think the first Pixar movie i saw was Toy Story 2. I liked it, but i was really little and didn’t care much for movies. :slight_smile: Then a year or two later, I saw A Bug’s Life. I HATED that one, because whenever it was on tv I would always be just in time for the part where hopper says “the sun grows the food, the ants pick the food, etc.” then i saw Toy Story and toy story 2 made sense. (I had n idea these movies were all made by the same company yet.) Then, if I’m correct, I saw Finding nemo on dvd. That one i liked. Then a few months later I saw Monsters inc and loved it so much that it was my favorite Pixar movie for a while. By the time The Incredibles was on dvd, I learned about pixar. except at that time all i thought was “oh, ok.” Then i saw the trailer for Cars, I thought it looked dumb. Then a year later, my mom said we could go see a movie. We had a choice: Over the Hedge, or Cars. I am SO glad we decided to see Cars. My mom picked up the phrase Ka-chow!, but it was so much better than seeing Over the Hedge, which I did when it came out on dvd. That’s when I started to like Pixar, but i still wasn’t a huge fan. A while after that, I decided to try A Bug’s Life again. And this time it was really good. Then I saw Ratatouille. That was when I REALLY liked Pixar, and the next year I had a mild case of WALL-E fever, and the year after that I was counting down the days before Up came out. And now I’m still counting down the days before I get to see Toy Story 3 in theaters (June 23-13 more days-I can’t wait!)
PIXAR ROCKS :sunglasses:

I was 9 years old the year the Incredibles came out. And i remember my dad taking me and my family to the theaters to see it. Then i came out i wasn’t the same, my thoughts where swirling with scenes from the movie,I felt like i could fly, lift buildings and run super fast!! and from then on i was hooked on pixar for life. But i didn’t think to work for them until my mom said why don’t you work for pixar studios. :smiley:

I was born. The end. :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t remember a time before I was obsessed with Toy Story, so there it is.

When you have a family member that helped make the movies, then in a sense, you are kind of force to be a fan. Glad that I was though.

I’ve always wished and hoped for a Pixarian relative. Clearly, it isn’t going to happen.

At least you’ve got a PP friend that has a Pixarian relative.

Yeah. 8D Still not the same.

Same here. But, I know lots of people with connections with Pixarians, living in the Bay. My dad’s met Lasseter a fiew times, and he visits my work now and then. But not when I’ve been there! :frowning:

^ Kenzie, that’s so cool! I can’t believe you’re in such close range of them! And you’re dad’s met John? That’s unbelievable! I can’t even picture my dad meeting him :smiley:

I got into Pixar after I saw Up :smiley:

Yep, my dad’s in the wine industry too, so he’s been to a party of a mutal friend. He also won backstage passes to a concert and John Lasseter had passes too! My sister also saw him at the grocery store, in a Hawaiian shirt.

^ In a grocery store?!? That’s too cool! I wish I had the chance of seeing him wandering around our Giant! Just the thought of it is joy :smiley:

Oh my gravy, I’m so jealous that you even have the possibility of coming in contact with him. 8D If I met John Lasseter, that would make my life. Literally. I would never ask for anything ever again.

Wow, I guess I’m ancient compared to a lot of you guys! So many here who were only young kids(even babies!) when Toy Story came out… But I go back waaaay longer than that! I’ve always been so impressed and entertained by animation, and I used to go to many different animation festivals back when I was in college in Miami. At one of these fests, I saw the Pixar short Luxo, Jr. It blew me away, both becausecof its appearance and its simple, effective way of engaging the viewer emotionally. To give CG table lamps such personality and spirit was a real feat, IMO. I guess I just tried to find and follow anything Pixar did after that and I was always a fan! :smiley: Even so, I wasn’t prepared for how much I would fall in love with the feature films, once they started to be released. Toy Story was one of the best movies I’d ever seen up to that time, and if I was a Pixar fan before that came out, I was a full-blown Pixar freak after I saw it! And now my daughter is a fan, too, and watching Pixar creations with her allows me to enjoy them in a whole new way.

Most of you would know by now how I got into the fandom, but for the uninitiated, here’s two blog posts that tell it all.

thedriveintheatre.tumblr.com/pos … nding-nemo

thedriveintheatre.tumblr.com/pos … ay-to-cars

That is such a great story! I wish I too could of followed Pixar along since it’s beginning. Do you still go to many animation fests?

I wish! The fests seem to travel less frequently now, I think because of YouTube and websites like that, where you can view a lot of this work anytime you want. Also, the traveling fests that do still go around tend to still go to big movie market areas (California, NY, etc.) and to universities/colleges where a lot of students tend to go see them. I went to a few festivals a year back in college, but haven’t been to one since (and that was a looong time ago!). I do try to check on some animation-centric websites and read a few animation trade publications when I can find them, just to keep up with what’s going on. But I miss those festivals, there were always new and amazing things to see in them and I can’t think of a better way to spend a few hours than watching the cream of that year’s animation crop! :smiley: