First officially released Brave concept art

“To further clarify, characters from say Rio, Toy Story 3, Despicable Me and Kung Fu Panda look and act ‘childish’ in the sense that they have bright colour palettes and are prone to exaggerated movements. Characters from say, Akira, Rango, Legend of the Guardians, and Secret of the N.I.M.H. are more reserved and ‘matured’ in the way they act and look.”

That’s the silliest thing I’ve ever read. Especially in regards to that Owl movie and the juvenile rango. Toy Story is far more mature in it’s themes and acting than any of the so called “mature” films you mention. Same goes for Toy Story 2 & 3, and Ratatouille, and Wall-e and Finding Nemo. Only those had great stories and great storytelling as well.

WOAH.

uhm, am i the only one who sees a bear in the first picture? o:

^ I just noticed it too. The one with the glowing yellow eyes, right?

He was mainly referring to the way that they are designed and how they move, not the overall themes, and in that case he has a point. Just look at, say, the bathroom scene in TS3. Very exaggerated expressions and movements that would look out of place in the other movies he listed, although that’s not to say that the others don’t have intimate moments. No need to get personal about it.

I saw that right away, but it looks nothing like a bear to me. Some sort of mythical creature, maybe, but no way a bear.

Curious. I’m pretty sure it’s a bear’s silhouette.

Wow, looks good. This will really spark my interest up much more than Cars 2, which is not creating alot of interest to me, even though I liked the first one :confused:

Please read my post again. It appears you have misunderstood it. For the record, I think Rango is not a very ‘kid-friendly’ movie, and the ‘Owl movie’ has a proper name. And calling someone’s opinion “silly” isn’t very matured, bud. :wink:

Thanks for the clarification Bryko, that’s exactly what I meant. To anyone else who’s misinterpreted me, just compare the character animation from Toy Story with say, Grave of the Fireflies. The former feels like a ‘cartoon’ (although like Bryko said, there are more intimate and ‘grown-up’ pensive moments) while the latter feels like a live-action movie. Once again, I’m speaking with respect to the character design and the animation, not the themes.

Wow, they’re really pulling out all the stops here!

Anyway, great observation on the figure in the first picture, I didn’t notice it! I think it looks like a giant owl, but then again it could be a wombat or something. 8D

I wonder whether the title 'Brave ’ is an adjective like ‘Tangled’, or a noun like ‘Mulan’ (in the sense that the heroine’s nickname will become ‘Brave’ by the end of the movie or something).

Remember the original title of the movie. We know a bear is central to the plot. I’m pretty sure it is this one. Can’t wait to see him on CGI!

Sorry about the double post, but I just came across this one:

The horse looks awesome, but I’m still not feeling good about Merida. Must be that hair…

rango was made for 7 year olds in mind. There’s nothing “adult” about it–it’s one of the most purile, juvenile and unimaginative cartoons ever made. And that owl movie was even worse than sucker punch or watchman (both awful things). Almost makes that childish pablum secret of nimh palatable. Almost.

and rango was ugly.

The Toy Story movies deal with abandonment, death, and much more mature, adult issues, and handle them in far more adult and imaginative ways. Actually, MOST of Pixar’s films do this. Only Cars and maybe A Bug’s Life were made more for kids in mind.

…Rango was unimaginative? And completely non-adult? Can you expand on your point a little bit?

the horse from the new still looks huge, unproportional if we compare it to Merida’s size, but I know it is just a concept art

[quote:2yh8t9f0]rango was made for 7 year olds in mind. There’s nothing "adult" about it–it’s one of the most purile, juvenile and unimaginative cartoons ever made. And that owl movie was even worse than sucker punch or watchman (both awful things). Almost makes that childish pablum secret of nimh palatable. Almost.

and rango was ugly.[/quote:2yh8t9f0]
Aside from the fact that your criticisms are from constructive, employ a lot of hyperbole ("most", "ever made", etc.) and have no explanation whatsoever (which scenes are juvenile, what exactly do you mean by worse, why do you say such and such is like pablum, etc.), I’m sure that you’d be surprising a lot of members here when you say things like Secret of the NIMH is "childish" or, that Rango is "purile". :-\

Care to elaborate?

A snake with a gun on it’s tail? A shallow plot and characters that makes saturday morning cartoons look deep? Bats with machine guns? A bird with an arrow through it’s eye? Yeah–real mature. A world that never makes sense (real sized water bottles, but rodent sized cigarettes, guns, and glasses? )

No, it’s a very childish, juvenile film all the way around.

rango is akin to elementary school boys picking boogers and wiping them on each other. Real “mature.”

Please no double posting - TDIT

It seems your idea of “juvenile” is what we consider “surreal”

I don’t see a single thing “juvenile” about any of the “points” you mentioned. It’s a fantasy - does it even matter if the water bottles are large, or is snakes have guns on their tails? It didn’t seem like it was being childish or thrown together. I felt a lot of imagination going on in the movie. How are the characters shallow? And I don’t recall ever seeing a Saturday morning kid’s cartoon this deep…I’m baffled.

But, alas, I think we’re derailing the thread. If you want to talk about it more, it would probably be best to post it in the Rango thread on the Other Animation board.

OH

I

SEE

soooooooo.

anyone care to get us back on topic? because after reading that, i’ve got nothing.

This is the first time I posted on this Brave thread, and for some reason someone is bashing Rango? Random.

Anyway, the concept art is beautiful, I can’t wait to see some stills!

How is that immature? It’s just funny.

I could do this for Toy Story too. A metrosexual doll? A dance sequence to Le Freak? A 30 minute Spanish Buzz segment? Yeah–real mature. So, you’re not proving anything. And once again, TDIT was referring to art style in the first place, not the story itself.