Finn and Holley

I totally agree, Leirin!

But I thought I heard Holley say I’m Mater’s girlfriendat the end of the movie. Did she mean that or was it a joke?

I would assume she meant it.

I hope she meant it. I took it seriously. 8D

Yeah I am positive she meant it.

Why would she say that if she didn’t mean it, anyway? 8D

To make Mater feel good about himself.

Or perhaps she knew he was gonna say it anyways. I think she meant that she is interested in him (since they are planning for a future date) but I don’t think it literally meant they are together, at least not yet.

No, I don’t think the writers would have went out of the way to add [spoil]extra lines of Lizzie comparing them and Mack saying they were perfect for each other[/spoil] if Holley wasn’t serious.

But it’s not like it’s a crime for people to ship something that isn’t canon, so trying to discredit something that clearly is canon seems silly. xD;

I think just seeing that promotional image that’s in your signature was kind of enough to convince me that Pixar was establishing a shipping for the film. So yeah, I also think it’s a canon one cause there seems to be more evidence towards it than Finn/Holley.

Personally, nowhere in the film or promotional art anywhere do I see any Finn/Holley potential.

Finn/Holley was actually kind of in the back of my mind while watching the movie but when those small details between Mater and Holley started happening (like Netbug009 explained.) I didn’t think about it anymore. I actually get a Lightning and Doc vibe from Finn and Holley. Rookie racecar and famous ex-racecar as his crew chief. Rookie field agent and experienced #1 agent as her mentor/partner. Did anyone else think the same thing? Maybe that was secretly Pixar’s intentions…

Yeah, I did feel like Finn somewhat reminded me of Doc, probably for reasons such as that. As cool of a character as Finn is though, I don’t think he could ever truly take Doc’s place.

No, I don’t think so either. Doc was one of the best and most complex characters of the movie. I imagine what Cars 2 would be like with him in it. :smiley:

I’m pretty sure Doc wasn’t in it because we all know the movie would be over after he kicked everyone’s butts in twenty minutes. 8D Lemons and racers alike. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah would have been awesome to have Doc but I am glad they did not go on with it since his voice actor died…Would have been weird to have a weird sounding Doc

It does have that mentor/student thing at times, but I didn’t think of Lightning and Doc. There’s a different dynamic here to me. I think it comes from the fact that they are also co-workers, so they have a certain amount of professionalism/immediate respect for one another that didn’t generate in the Father/Son relationship Lightning and Doc had.

Even though you can see glimpses of Finn being a mentor from time to time, I think their partnership has them on a bit more of an even playing field in ways too.

Ding: Hahahaha, so true. 8D

YouAreAToy!!!: Yes, I actually admire Pixar for not continuing with Doc without Mr. Newman. It was a sign of respect.

Netbug009: This is true. It wasn’t a huge theme that stuck with me, it was just a quick thought that interested me, but you’re so right. Lightning and Doc had a more personal relationship than Finn and Holley, didn’t think of that. :slight_smile:

The writers may have tried to make a Holley/Mater impression but even despite the whole [spoil]‘girlfriend’[/spoil] line at the end I still didn’t really buy it. Bought it more than I initially thought I would but there wasn’t enough substance there for me to really believe it, especially with the different personalities. While they do say “opposites attract” Pixar still didn’t prove to me that it could be a deep, meaningful relationship. I think the main reason it was in there was because they had to have some romance in there. Plus it made for a bit of a gag.

MissCarrera: This is very true and I understand how you feel that way. Now that I go through the movie in my head, I realized that by the ending, I still felt like they didn’t get any closure. [spoil]It wasn’t like “Oh, we BOTH like each other now.” I still felt like Mater liked her a lot more than she liked him, romantically speaking. I think they both liked each other enough to be friends but only Mater thought of her as a “girlfriend” on some deep level and Holley just thought it was cute and decided to go along with it.[/spoil]