Do you thinlk Boo will be a teen or still a kid in this?

I would actually prefer her to be a teen because I want to see how she remember Sully and Mike and now that she actually has more of an understanding of the world what her opinion on them will be…or if it will change from when she was younger. I mean, she didn’t fully understand when she was first there but if she was a teen and came back she would probably have a whole lot more to say and we would get to see more of her personality… :smiley:

Time works basically the same in the Monster World as it does here. The only differrance when it comes to age is that some monsters have a longer life-span, at least when you compare it to humans. Waternoose for instance was over 120 years old and still in fair health (and for a man to move like he does near the end, pretty fit).

Boo’s “fresher” experience of the Monster World might come into play. Though it should be noted that while humans have been found to be non-toxic, most of the public STILL fear humans either because they still believe it or just in general. So Boo coming to the Monster World would still not be a bright idea on Sullivan and Wazowski’s part.
That’s NOT to say that it could happen. Human curiousity afterall.

Yeahhhh…I can see where you might be going with that. There could be some real issues that Pixar could deal with, with Mary being a teenager, like peer pressure and the need to fit in, and how she is going to handle her friendship with MONSTERS, of all things, and balance that with her desire to be a regular teen. Is she going to continue to keep Mike and Sulley a secret, known only to her, or is this something she will eventually share with someone else? AND, given Sulley’s paternal relationship with her, how is HE going to deal with the issues that she will inevitably face, like boyfriends(especially if they don’t meet “up to code”, so to speak, which not many boyfriends DO if you’re the father/father figure of a young girl), “friends” who are into not-so-good-things, and of course, her real parents? Will she start to him as meddling in her life, or what? There’s a lot of good potential for some conflict and resolution there.

pitbulllady

They sorta did that with Vi didn’t they? Mostly with Tony…
But yeah they never did go into detail on that much, could be something to work with. It would be interesting to see what sort of influences she has had due to their continual meetings.
And the conflict too would be something. I mean when you think of it, given how much Sullivan cares for Boo, what about himself? Boo, if we’re talking teen, will be going for that “strike out on own” phase. And certainly by this time Wazowski and Celia will be married. So Sullivan might end up “looking for something to fill the void” as it were.
I suppose Boo is like the female version of Andy we could see. Going from a lovable playful kid to a young adult that’s trying to find their way in the world.

No, not really. Brad Bird DID explore the social ramifications of being a teen Super, trying to hide it, but that was in all aspects of Violet’s life, not just the dating scene. Tony was really just a bit player who showed up a couple of times in the movie. The thing is, Violet’s friends most likely still have no clue that she has super powers, and how she’s handle that if they found out has not been dealt with.
Would Boo try to keep her friendship with monsters a secret, or would she proudly proclaim it? How would it affect her relationships with friends, family and teachers and what-not if she did tell them that she was friends with two monsters who lived in another universe that was accessible via her closet? Is she going to wind up being labled “that weird girl who talks to snigger, MONSTERS” or will any of them take her seriously? Will that cause her to become embarrassed about this, as Violet originally was about her family’s secret, or will she stand tall and proud and let the others say what they will? Those are some things that can, as I said, make for an interesting movie.

pitbulllady

I highly bet that Pixar is going to keep her age in real-time, so she’d probably be about 11 or 12.

I think that’s a rather influential age…I mean when the starting crops of social identity disorder might start.

As someone who has worn a lot of black clothing and has gone through my own phases as a teenager, here’s my response.

Violet’s superpowers mirror her everyday life, no? She hides. One tool she uses to hide, and I do this myself, is her hair. So, at the end of the film, when she pushes back her hair into a different style, it’s a huge character change for her.

One of the reasons I used to wear black clothes almost every single day was to hide my body. If you pay attention to shows like “What Not to Wear” or just the world around you, this is a widespread habit. That’s why I think Violet wore darker clothes. I doubt her wardrobe choices reflect any sort of interest in “the dark side” or certain genres of music, film, etc. It was all just a way for her to hide, and so when she brightens up her appearance… perhaps that is what she’s always wanted to be all along but never lacked the courage to become. It’s not Disney or Pixar’s way of bashing any alternative movements among teenagers or rendering them inferior.

And it’s a little harsh, in my opinion, to say that the only reason Disney praises Nightmare now is because it makes money. Obviously, it does bring in a lot of dough for them, but… they didn’t have to make the movie in the first place. It was a decent-sized risk, because yes, it’s darker than most animated films. They’ve done many films with dark elements before, though (Fantasia, The Black Cauldron, Return to Oz–Have you SEEN that last one? Super dark!). Heck, any film with a Disney villain could arguably be dark in some aspect, and the villains are beloved characters. Is Disney ashamed of their villains? Hardly.

I mean, I like seeing a range of characters, but it is kind of hard for some studios to break the stereotypes (such as goth/emo characters who are angsty or mean). Part of the reason could be a lazy writing staff, part could be what the audience demands. When it comes to Disney television series, for instance, it’s probably easiest for them to stick to neutral characters (what some may consider “preppy”). What about the Freaky Friday remake? That was a hit and Lindsay Lohan’s character was nowhere near being “preppy.”

…Why is this in the Monsters, Inc. forum? :laughing:

QoP: there’s been a lot of arguments and verbal abuse (not talking about Princess-Darkness, just a general statement of perception ), and it needs to stop!!! :imp:

The discussion was basically on whether Pixar would(or SHOULD)have Boo return in the sequel, and if so, would it be better if she was still a young child, or a teenager? We have been discussing the pro’s and cons of each age, and it was mentioned that the “Boo as Teen” scenario would only work if Pixar carefully avoided certain cinematic teen stereotypes, like the “Goth” or “Emo” or “Nerd” or gods-forbid, the “Hannah Montana Clone”. There would be a lot of emotional issues to deal with, regarding her friendships “on the other side”, so to speak, if Boo were a teen or an adolescent, even, that a very young child would not have to cope with. Any talk of a “Kitty” that shows up from the closet from a young child is simply going to be laughed off by adults as her imaginary friend, but if a 12-year-old or older kid is still talking about a big blue furry thing showing up at night from the closet, THAT is going to be treated a bit differently, to say the least.

pitbulllady

I think I’d like to see Boo as a teen. I think it would be interesting to see how she and Sully are getting along after all those years.

Let’s just say I’m warming up to the idea myself, after some consideration. I still think that IF she is a teen in the movie, her character will probably be “second fiddle” to a new, cute little kid character, her younger sibling, maybe. Given the success that Pixar had with the cute little kid in the first movie, they probably won’t dump that idea completely for the sequel.

pitbulllady

…Is this targeted at me? I agree that name-calling and personal attacks should be kept out of civil debates (and, considering this is a Pixar forum, discussing political/religious/etc. beliefs should probably be kept to a minimum), but I said nothing offensive in my post at all. =(

As for Boo, I’d like to see her be around 10-12. That’s the point where children start to outgrow “childish” things and shut off their imagination. I suppose it could be a similar situation to Andy and his toys in Toy Story, but it could be pretty relevant.

No, I didn’t mean you at all! You’re plenty nice. I’m just tired of people being talked down to and contradicted on some threads, but “someone” is not you, I promise. :slight_smile: Sorry for the confusion.

I think it’s mainly due to shyness on Violet’s part. She acts unamused and such, but at the heart I guess she’s afraid. We kinda see that when she apologizes to her mom when she couldn’t put a forcefield over the plane.

Pitbulllady’s got a point about the teen stereotypes…
Making her a stereotype isn’t creative…but I guess ignoring such influences would be as well. I actually DOUBT Boo would be the “nerd” type though hehehe. Very creative though.

Or maybe a younger brother. Afterall it might be interesting to have Boo be put in the “big sis” position.

I’m pretty sure that statement was not targeted at you QoP. Though I agree that verbal abuse shouldn’t be part of an argument.

Boo’s a very imaginative person I’d suggest. And maybe she might refuse to let go of it. And honestly, I can’t blame her. “When I was a child, I thought as a child, but when I grew up, I put away childish things” Whomever made this statement…is rather ignorant.

I really wasn’t talking about QoP. In fact, the person I did mean is going to grill me(again :unamused: ) the second “they” get on, and I shouldn’t have said anything. I’m just sick of members bad mouthing other members. It has nothing to do with QoP.

Well I probably know with a 90% success rate who your talking about so knew it wasn’t QoP…

Okay, good. :slight_smile: I hoped so; it’s probably pretty obvious. I just hope I didn’t offend anyone who misunderstood me… :blush:

prods head Not exactly a good thing but…yeah probably the only one that might get offended is the person themselves.

I always talk when I should just avoid subjests :blush: slaps head yeah, I’m no good. Anyway, I don’t really care about Boo’s age.