Disney won't be doing fairy tales anymore

I’m happy they’re still doing fairy tales. I can only imagine the Disney people’s panic when they saw that…

“OH CRAP! What the heck!? Oh man, we need to fix this…”

Yeah, exactly. I hate the DC as much(more) as the next person, but it’s not the mother corporation’s fault. But I’m just sayin’… :laughing:

I’m not suprised. I mean, how many fairy tales are there left to do? But I dont’ think they should box themselves in like this. Ah well, let’s see what they do next!

They could do Red Riding Hood, Hansel & Gretel, or they could do some folk stories from different countries. :smiley:

I still want to see a Hispanic or Latina Disney Princess added to the lineup.

Exactly!! Named Consuela. <3 With a red and orange dress(only the Hispanic culture could pull off such a bright dress)!!

I don’t like the idea of “We can’t ever do this kind of genre again because it’s unpopular! We must be hip, trendy, it, now, in, happening!”

However, I am in favor of trying new things.

Something to point out,

Snow White (1937)
Pinnochio (1940)
Cinderella (1950)
(arguably Peter Pan (1953))
Sleeping Beauty (1959)
The Little Mermaid (1989)
Beauty and the Beast (1991)
The Princess and the Frog (2009)
Tangled (2010)

As far as movies actually based on European fairy tales, there have been some pretty big gaps in the past. (Unless I’m forgetting something).

As far as I can tell, all Catmull actually said was that they don’t currently have any in the pipeline.

I’ve also seen this said as “No more Princess Movies”, which I suppose would be a slightly different list (take out Pinnochio, put in Aladdin and Pocohontas?). That “genre” seems to be a recent invention based on the pink plastic Disney merchandise brand. Though most of the fairy tale movies do feature a princess, I never thought of them, as they seem to be viewed today, as being specifically for girls.

Who doesn’t want to see a Hispanic princess? Hopefully it doesn’t take Disney another 11 years (that’s how long it took them to make Tiana).

animagusurreal, thank you!!! I’m tired of people thinking of Disney films being Feminist because of the merchandise. Personally, I think the dragon fight in Sleeping Beauty is pretty beast. And I think Aladdin, Hercules, and Tarzan are all good films for boys.

Oh, I’m sure it’ll take less than 11 years. There’s a growing Hispanic population in the US. Disney knows how much money is made from Dora the Explorer. One reason Dora’s so popular is because little girls can relate to her race. That’s just the way things work. That was one reason why Tiana was choosen to be African American.

With all the racial equality in the Disney community, I’d say it’s time for a Hispanic Disney gal now, but that’s just me. Xp

What do you mean? This news made a lot of people really emotional or angry. Now that we know it was just a misunderstanding, it’s no longer a controversy, but that’s no reason to be sarcastic.

how can i call myself a Disney fan when I have never seen Aladdin (only The Return Of Jafar), Hercules, The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, Sleeping Beauty, and probably tons more?

:astonished: For reals?

Don’t worry Buzz&Woodyforever, that’s my problem too. :smiley: Of all the 50 features, I have seen only 18, partly seen 15, and there are still 17 films I haven’t got any chance to check them out (that includes Sleeping Beauty, Lady and the Tramp,…many more, even Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, and of course, Tangled). Sad, but true. :cry:

Wow. You guys are missing a lot. I think Ive seen 40 of them, but I’m not going to count right now.

Hehee, same here! My mom is a Disney fanatic, so I grew up with having all of them on VHS! Even obscure ones like Three Caballeros and Fun and Fancy Free.

I saw all of them…it was kind of hard not to. They were all so good. :smiley: (Except for maybe Chicken Little or Home on the Range).

I haven’t seen many of them, either. :blush: makes list of Disney films to rent

If anyone here hasn’t seen Three Caballeros…rent it. Now! :laughing: