Character Discussion: Hopper

I believe this, he is quite scary. Not only is he a despicable character, on top of that he’s an insect. Which is very frigthening for a lot of people.

Personally I think the only good relationship Hopper ever had was with his mother.

lol, must of been if he’s promised her he wouldn’t kill his brother! :laughing:

lol, just think he he was going out.

Hopper- Mom, I’m going to go over and take over the Ant World

Mom- Don’t forget to bring a sweater with you sweetie, it’s chillie outside.

Hopper- But Mooooom, I don’t wanna take a sweater.

Mom- You will take a sweater right now, Hopper!

Hopper- But I don’t wanna take the sweater, I don’t wannna take the sweater, I DON’T WANNA TAKE THE SWEATER!

Mom- YOU WILL PUT ON THIS SWEATER RIGHT NOW AND WILL NOW YELL NOW! OR YOUR GROUNDED!

Hopper- Okay, okay Mom, I will out on the sweater, jeez.

Mom- Have fun dear.

Hopper- B**** mother f***** I hate you,…

Mom- WATCH YOUR Mouth!

Hopper- Sorry Mommy.

^Was that necessary? 8D

I like Hopper mostly because of Kevin Spacey and his condescension. But he’s not my favorite Pixar villain because he’s not human enough. I don’t mean that he’s an insect, but that he doesn’t have a given logical or emotional reason to be a creep. Those are my favorite villains, the ones who are slightly justified in their hate of the enemy.

That’s a pretty good point. I was actually thinking today about the bored expression on Hopper’s face while he buried three of his gang members in grain. I think the fact that you could still hear their smothered screams added to that psychopathic aura about him. =S He was horrible in knowing how to manipulate the weak-minded (the morons in his clan) and how to find weak spots in a person to take them down psychologically and emotionally (He played on Princess Atta’s insecurities as a fit leader, for example, and manipulated/intimidated the heck out of her with that). Hopper was intelligent in that he could sniff out perceived deficits in a person and exploit them to his liking. I agree that his personality as a whole is what took that “humaness” away from him, but Hopper is still one of my faves, nonetheless. :slight_smile:

Yeah Hopper is generally interesting in some ways but he doesn’t really have vaguely sympathetic reasons behind his actions like some Pixar antagonists (whether down to personal interpretation or not). I mean I guess you could say the same is with Sid but then he’s just a kid and I think a lot of kids are cruel to their toys or were anyway. So his case is rather strange in a way (Sure Sid wasn’t a good kid but still.) But generally Hopper does things… purely for power related reasons.

He certainly reads people pretty well though and he seems to be one of the few grasshoppers with more than two brain cells to rub together in the movie. Which must be frustarting.

Of course in actual nature ants EAT grasshoppers. So if this was actually set in that world he managed to apparently fool the very type of insect which would in natural terms take him down anyway for a rather long time. It’s supposed to be a natural behaviour for a group of ants to see a grasshopper and go ‘yum, lunch!’ and yet somehow he managed to overcome that and take over a colony of ants. It took Flick saying it for them to actually stand against him and realise their numbers. Until then he’d somehow over-road the natural order and set-up. Take from that what you will.

(Working on the idea that A Bug’s Life even works on the basis of being an unusual set up in the real world in addition to giving ants and bugs in general that kind of intelligence equal to humans anyway for plot and character related purposes. I mean I’m pretty sure the story comes from the old story of the ant and the grasshopper and winter and storing food etc. Which did not have the ant eventually adding the grasshopper to his stores. I mean THIS would be more entymotlogically true but eh:

Ant: “What lovely music! Dinner and a show!” >D

Grasshopper: D:).

Not to go off topic or anything, but Pixar took HUGE artistic liberties with the insect world. You could go on and on about how they didn’t do this, they forgot that, or that doesn’t really happen, but ultimately we have to realize that this is the fantasy world that Pixar created. I think we could let a couple (hundred) things go XD.

Same with Ratatouille and Finding Nemo. But anyway.

Even though I like Hopper, that is mostly because I love Kevin Spacey. I think he is a very boring villain compared to Sid, but maybe I’m just crazy.

IV: Not at all :slight_smile:
But Kevin Spacey is an acting genius imo. Off topic, I watched Moon the other day, where he voices a robot on a space mission, and I thought the simplicity of his performance did the film wonders.

I agree. Her’s one of my all time favorite actors. :slight_smile:

I think Hopper is an amazing villain. One of my favourite Pixar Villains. Kevin Spacey really does an amazing job doing the voice for him.

I definitly love Hopper as one of the greatest Pixar villians along with Lotso and Syndrome. I think that Kevin Spacey did a good job playing as him.

Hopper is great. He’s one of my favorite Pixar villains.

Hopper is my favourite Pixar villain.

Sunfrome is fine, Hopper is cool though.

You mean Syndrome?

Yeah, whoops. 8D I’m starting to think my compulter is making these typos.

8D This is why I hate writing messages on my phone!

Some day’s my typing is just off.