Central Monsters University Discussion

Hmmm… no sooner did I take Spirit of Adventure’s advice and changed the thread title did I see Effluvium’s post.

Do you guys wanna migrate to Effluvium’s post and I’ll lock this up, or continue in here? Free-voting. Go.

I say keep this one since it’s been here longer and there’s discussions already on it, and delete the new one. (sorry Effluvium!)

Agreed with eje. We can move his post over to this topic.

Hmmmmm, this is weird. In addition to having this thread for Monsters University as well as the one created by Effluvium, we also have an additional thread for Monsters Inc 2 with 10 pages or so. Do we really need three threads for essentially one topic?

Pixar Builder you will have your post number 1000 soon, congratulations

I don’t have a favorite, both of you are great, but I vote to keep posting here, sorry Effluvium

Personally I feel THIS thread, at least, should be kept alive: the first was under the assumption that it WASN’T a prequel.

Back on-topic, I’m curious as to what the story would be. For one, Randall’s role (apparently he WILL reappear, at least) will be a mystery, in my opinion. Being a bully for one, is not only OOC, in my opinion, but it also would portray college unrealistically, which I can say because the main reason I’ve been busy relates to being a college student, so if they want a realistic movie with Randall in it, that possibility would be thrown out the window. I acknowledge Pixar claimed he was a bully, but even if I believed that, they said it was the case for high school, where, unfortunately, bullying is the norm. :frowning:

No worries about closing the other thread, guys! I just thought it’d be better to have a separate discussion to talk about the prequel, but if you guys wanna stay here, fantastic! :smiley:

Back on topic, I love the sound of this! I am so pleased Pixar decided to go down this route. So, technically, it really isn’t a sequel, so Cars 2 is the only sequel being developed at the studio currently - I know a lot of people were worried the studio had run out of ideas and were spinning sequels out to line Disney’s pocket! :nerd:

Seriously though, I am now probably more excited for Monsters University than Cars 2! ;-p

The only thing I’ll hate about Monster’s Inc 2 will there may be no Boo.

I know, that’s the other thing I instantly dislike about it being a prequel. Boo was the very first thing that made Monsters, Inc. one of my favorite movies. Sh’ell be missed :cry:

Well, on the other hand, if it was a sequel, they’d need to worry about someone else voicing her. Besides, with the exception of Randall’s fate, I thought the first didn’t need a sequel.

twitter.com/upcomingpixar/status … 9120628736

This is an interesting appointment, I have to say! Disappointed that it’s not Bob Peterson, but we see how Mr Scanlon handles such a big project. I’m curious to see if anybody will co-direct the movie with him.

I was hoping it would be Bob too. He’d have been the perfect choice since he was heavily involved in the original movie. Oh well, I’m sure Dan Scanlon will do a good job :laughing:

Pretty surprising choice, but I’m thrilled that they chose someone who is a bit more distanced from the Brain Trust. Just helps to lessen my fears of the studio being conservative and against new talent.

[size=50](now let Steve Purcell direct something!!)[/size]

I was hoping for Bob Peterson as well, but when I found out it was a prequel it didn’t seem to fit somehow. Hopefully he’s working on an original project of his own!

Actually, I’d have to agree with Bryko614. As much as I like MI1 and Wall-E, one has to admit that beforehand, Pixar was unusually inclusive, at best. :confused:

cranes neck Errrmmm…been awhile since the M.I. info started pouring in and I’ve had the need to put forth my two cents, but…might as well nip this one in the butt early.

First off the prequel itself.
Well Boo fans will certainly be disappointed. Yes, sorry Boo fans, there’s no possible way she can be in a prequel. Heck, she probably, time-line wise, wouldn’t even be born.
folds arms and shrugs Though, if your lucky, the way “I” would end the film (no steal-ly 0_-) would be Boo’s parents in their home, her month deep into pregnancy with Mary (Boo), and the two head up to the second floor (which I would guess) and enter the nursery they have made, which essentially Boo’s room albeit with new-baby related items (crib, changing table, what have you). But the room itself is still the same…and we cut to the look of the closet door and slowly creep toward it as we fade to black…

chuckles Yes…I have ideas to match cinema hm hm.

Alright who’s next…oh yes those with Celia and Wazowski oh heh heh. Well sadly, I doubt you’ll all see THEIR relationship. Apparently this one is focusing on Sullivan and Wazowski’s, sorry Celia, no room for you. Besides…Wazowski met Celia at Monsters Inc., not a university. Besides if Celia went THERE…you think she’d do better than a receptionist?
raises hand Albeit the front desk one, and demanding in it’s work, but still.

Sullivan and Wazowski? Fighting? In college? Hold on there Pixar…didn’t you state in the M.I. book (name escapes me…it’s one of those books with all the players and little info about their physical qualities and stuff, can’t recall the name right now) that Sullivan and Wazowski MET in PRESCHOOL? When Sullivan “Accidentally” sat on Wazowski thinking he was a stool? And eversince they’ve been friends?
Talk about a paradox. Best friends at first then completely forget each other then met each other again with no recollection? Huh.

Plus…that kind of plot? We’ve SEEN IT already. Sullivan’s struggle with Boo and Wazowski thinking little of it. Their friendship went through a little trial then, but they made it. We’ve SEEN IT already. It’s already been done in the first film. Now we’re going to have a whole plot around it?

Which brings me to…yeah you guessed it…Randall.
Now taps lip At first I highly doubted Randall’s involvement in a prequel. One, because he’s been proposed as being younger than Sullivan and Wazowski, so essentially if he’s in college with them he’d be a practical genius (which isn’t far off actually) on his way out. And two, because he was in Monsters Inc. BEFORE Sullivan and Wazowski, and was actually loaned on as their VETERAN TRAINER.
So would be contradicting to have Randall as an actual student. And besides…it’s been thought that he’d come as “bully” individual. Which to me is yes, OOC. I mean what would be the point of showing him like that? None. Just to put an opposition to Sullivan and Wazowski.
Still…does put up an interesting concept of him and Sullivan having been friends, which is a possibility. Though I doubt it was sullied (snicker) by Randall and Wazowski’s remarks to each other. Hands down, Wazowski asks for it.
prods head Which leads one to wonder…Wazowski doesn’t get lippy with Randall too much unless he has something himself to fall back on (threats/claims). How would he if SULLIVAN was at odds with him?
Still, as said, I have no idea how they’re going to pull Randall in without stepping on their toes. He was already a scarer by then.

looks up Hmm…I’m going two-post perhaps. I put more into this one-post it’s going to feel like a book.

Another thing for Randall Fans…

This to me says, interestingly enough, is that the story will revolve around Wazowski, Sullivan, and Randall. As strange as this sounds…the theme of friendship might come into play here.
Some might think of the “yeah, you too” as a little pompous, but I take it as a sign of listening, of notice. Sullivan and Wazowski were pretty much airtight in appearing, but this early on, including Randall? Well…they have a year or so…plenty of time to get a good story in.

…Plus no Eisner…snickers

Yes, I do remember you saying that about Randall’s, Mike’s, and Sulley’s pasts. In fact, even without your knowledge, I WOULD’VE assumed that Randall was younger than the other two, which makes it puzzling as to how he could be squeezed in, unless he wasn’t old enough for college, yet. Which I doubt, given that Steve Buscemi will be reprised.

EXACTLY!! It’s nice to see SOMEONE else trying to spread that tweet where Randall is concerned! :confused:

While my post was directed in general…
I caught an infection after working awhile. It’s thankfully on it’s way out…hopefully.

prods head Actually, there are…at least I’ve heard…examples of students excelling so well that they skip grades. As smart as Randall is, compared to Sullivan and Wazowski’s age and how many he would need to skip…Randall would’ve probably still been in diapers when he reached college (interesting dorm mate hm?).

chuckles I’m a researcher, it’s my job to know hm hm.
Yes true tweet ladies and gentlemen, and an interesting one at that that should calm Randall fans in terms of worry for the most part.