Central Monsters University Discussion

I’ve got mixed feelings about it. I think it sounds interesting but I’m not really whether it will work out or not. I mean it will be good as you can bring back old characters such as Randall and Waternoose. But I’m not really sure how the story is going to work out. But I don’t know what the story is so I can’t rally make any conclusions.

I like prequels. Now I’m sad and all alone because I’m apparently the only one who thinks this sounds AWESOME. D:

It’s because you have terrible taste.

Just kidding! :stuck_out_tongue:

Prequels are okay, but I find sequels are better if you have to choose between the two generally speaking for me. There’s the loss of suspense in prequels because… well we know what happened to at least two (the very main two) characters so…

Honestly though I wouldn’t mind a MIDQUEL actually. Say inbetween Boo going back home and Sulley meeting her again if they don’t want to deal with Boo being older and ~parent issues~ for some reason (why? I think it would be awesome and drama filled in a completely non-pointless way. It would make sense for the parents not to like or to not instantly trust Sulley). It would still be possible for various other characters to be in there, Celia, Roz and maybe even Randall included. (Yes, we don’t see him in the original movie at all, so for now we have to assume he’s not back; but they could still do that if they want to and make it work). I’d still prefer Boo to be in it (and for us to be introduced to her parents in some way), but I think that sort of idea sounds better than what we’re getting. (Well maybe, of course there’s always a risk.)

Enemies to friends is nice though, to be honest they kind of over-do the ‘nice guy-> ooops bad guy’ thing sometimes, or at least that’s what I keep hearing- and while it’s not in every movie I guess these criticisers may have a point, much as I love Waternoose as a concept- so seeing the reverse would be a nice change of pace in whatever form we can get).

It’s mostly the idea of it (possiblity) not fitting with established canon I’m worried over, (since of course they met in grade school and scarers are trained in the factory not in a university setting) plus the fact that there will be even fewer characters from the original movie which leaves me cold.

Maybe I’ll turn out to be pleasently surprised, but I’m pretty doubtful to be honest even if I’m not terrifically angsty over the idea either.

It just depends on the story. And I wouldn’t mind a prequel, because I like Randall anyways.

I’d like to note that an M.I. sequel does NOT mean that Randall, or Waternoose wouldn’t appear.
Randall’s pretty much self-explanatory. As for Waternoose, rest well James Courben if that was you, he could be hinted at or such for instance for his own trial for his actions in the previous movie.
In fact, I’ve made that a good opener. For a newscast of Waternoose’s trial to sort of “refresh” people for the actions of the previous film. A like “oh yeah that’s what happened” thing.

Now a prequel…to be honest…I don’t recall there being a movie THEN a prequel. It’s usually movie, sequel, then prequel.
Of course there’s also movie, sequel sequel…then prequel, prequel, prequel. That’s for you Star Wars fans heh.
So to be honest, I’m 80% sure this is a sequel. I leave that 20% in leau for everyone else.

Wow… that’s brilliant. Bigfoot, Abominable, Loch Ness Monster - they all got exposed and became the mythical creatures we know them as! That’s a brilliant idea, going to find those three and others!

A prequel wouldn’t be too bad, but Waternoose surely won’ be in it - James Coburn (that’s his name if memory serves right) passed some time ago. I’d think Sulley and Waternoose met at Monsters, Inc itself. Randall, it could go either way with him. Celia’d probably appear too.

Evidently, you haven’t heard of Dumb and Dumberer.

That’s actually not a bad idea to me, either, NachozRule and Chopperface. :slight_smile:

Kudos to you D…Sgtyayap.
Indeed, Dumb and Dumber was a film that’s next installment was a prequel.
Oh. However. Between Dumb and Dumber and it’s prequel, there was actually a television series that was considered as events after the first film. So technically there was more material as a “sequel”…
But technically that’s different.

However to be honest, the story revolved solely around two individuals with the others having little to no depth whatsoever. I don’t remember if there were references from the original in terms of characters but…

===============
Also if it is a prequel, Waternoose being excluded is not a sure thing.
Slinky’s voice actor in Toy Story/2 died if I recall and was replaced, ironically by a friend of the former actor who worked together on a previous film.
It’s unknown if Waternoose will get the same treatment, or that he would be left alone in a form of honorable “tip of the hat” sort of thing.

I don’t mean to sound mean(though he doesn’t have a huge fanbase or anything anyway :stuck_out_tongue: ), but either way, I don’t want Waternoose to come back. I did not like him at all. I still don’t want this to be a prequel.

In all honesty, I agree. :confused: I really hope these are just rumors.

I have to say I agree as well.
I mean when you think about it, we all KNOW that later on Waternoose shows his true colors and that any care he had of anybody (IF any) would dissolve or was false.
It’s already a known factor “don’t trust him”.

I mean that would be in the case of a prequel, which I doubt.
I mean Waternoose, if shown, would obviously show respect to Sullivan but in the end we all know it’s a lie. It wouldn’t really fool anyone unless they never heard of M.I.

I talked about this with SgtYayap, and I thought it wold be a cool Idea for them to combine a Prequel with a Sequel, like have occasional flashbacks during the movie that show stuff like how Mike and Sully met and such. It could also show how they became partners at their job or something.

This would also be a good thing for Randall as well, because Randall fans like myself who want to see him a good guy, they could do a flashback that maybe shows him and Sully being friends once. And that memory causes him to go though a possible character arc in the sequel part of the movie.

Just a cool thought. :wink:

Although I’ve said that myself…
Yeah, I agree. A sequel with flashbacks is the best idea.

And personally, I think it’s a fit for Sullivan.
Imagine. He’s CEO. A job he was NOT prepared or trained for. He’s GOT to be experiencing the heavy blows, the demanding and attentive work he’s now got to do.
I can imagine him in his office, exhausted from work, unable to go home because he’s got forms to fill out for the day’s quotas or whatnot. He allows himself a break, and begins to fall asleep, thinking of better days.
And we get those flashbacks. How him and Waozwski met maybe, how they went through training. And maybe even some of Randall when he wasn’t strained by the whole SE thing.
And maybe those memories add to Randall’s arc as well.

There’s allot that could be done here. A sort of “how we ended up here” and “what went wrong” in some respects.

Yeah I would love it if they did it like that, because just a straight up prequel just doesn’t really sound interesting to me. :confused:

not that i don’t like the idea of Randall once being friends with Sully, but I find it highly doubtful. I remember in the commentary they talked about Randall being “a jerk who never stopped being a jerk” or something like that, so I don’t think there’s any moment in the past Randall might have been very pleasant to them sadly =/

I don’t see how a prequel can be a good thing for Randall fans wanting a character change…if anything all it will do is further confirm what a bad guy he was. Though I’m kind of interested in it (and sure it would be a great film anyway), I’d still much prefer an actual sequel. Not just for the new surprising roots they can take the characters (cos when it comes down to it, we know a prequel would ultimately just be a lead up to the first movie) but just because I want to see more of the characters we’ve come to know now. We see Mike and Sully grow in different ways in Monsters Inc, and a prequel seems like it would defeat that purpose…also I want to see a Mike and Celia marriage and/or engagement :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for Waternoose, well I wouldn’t mind seeing more of him again. I seem to be one of those people who remains sympathetic to him, but at the same time still see him as the Big Bad, above Randall and all of that.

^ It’s a real shame too in the end. Overall, I think the best thing is to consider only what’s canon in the movie perhaps in the end because well, peoples perceptions and interpretations, even those of the creators can change over time.

Waternoose is more of an interesting character concept to me. Human versions of him are far more likely to exist and in very similar situations compared to MOST Pixar antagonists. What makes Waternoose a scary antagonist is the people he’s willing to sacrifice to get what he wants. This includes people we might have considered while watching he actually cared about (Sulley)- though as it turned out he maybe didn’t really at all. There’s something unsettling with someone who is either willing to do that to someone who they perhaps saw like a son or even completely act that type of affection covering the fact that all he is is a valued employee and nothing more at best. Randall is pretty upfront at least in his dislike. Waternoose is manipulative. Personally in a sequel I’d like the idea of Sulley trying to grapple with these feelings of confusion towards Waternoose- the thing is a part of him will be wondering about Waternoose at least a bit and even wonder if he could become like him (one of few things the comics did right on touching upon). But the thing is he’s very manipulative and a seasoned liar. He can make you feel like a million dollars or a lowly worm. His power does not merely come from say his postion but how he knows people and how he can work them. There is sympathy to be garnered for Waternoose- I think he was concerned about his legacy and din’t want to say go down as the Waternoose who let the company go under and utterly failed. But let’s face it- he uses people. Still, especially if he got older Sulley may desire to put certain things at rest with regards him.

I think though with a prequel I just definitly don’t want Randall in it at all especially with the rumoured set up. I mean unless they were planning say a trilogy and bringing the whole exile thing at the very least into a questionable light, I get the impression they would probably make Randall just a bully for no reason.

Though that still wouldn’t make the exile okay even then. But it would be a very cheap way of trying to justify it almost. (If in my random mind that was what they were trying. I mean I doubt people question it all that much- while I have certainly met people who hate Randall and disliked the exile because of how it reflected on Sulley and Mike, I don’t think it’s a major problem many have with the movie. It after all, sort of appeals to that little part of people who like to see ‘mean’ people get hurt no matter. It’s in all of us at least a little bit even if it’s not a very admirable part of course. Many would desire to do what Sulley and Mike did. But most people wouldn’t actually do it. I have no problem with characters doing or even simply thinking of doing questionable things, that makes for great story potential after all- but as long as they’re eventually questioned about it in some form. )

Of course it would also in a way be utterly pointless anyway if they tried (once again in my random mind) were justifying what happened by making Randall a jerk forever- while I disagree with it myself, the creators clearly did not mean for the exile to be questionable, and making Randall say into someone who was ‘always a jerk’ is not going to change that no matter what view people take on him now or the event of his exile in question. The only way to ‘change minds’ over the exile idea is to take it the other way probably and make him sympathetic. Though I really doubt that will ever happen. While creator (or fan) opinion isn’t canon- it can be made canon with sequels/prequels in the creators case.

(Of course it still has to work and sequels can sometimes not fit. So in a way later films are almost lesser canon to the original too- or else it becomes almost AU canon if for whatever reason it can’t work like say messed up time-lines or hard evidence rather than interpretations becoming messed up.)

After some thinking and discussion the idea of Sulley and Mike being friends later CAN fit canon though.

It just can’t be their first meeting forever in order to fit canon (since they have known of each others existence at least since grade school), nor can it really be in a University entirely dedicated to scaring and only scaring given that training was in the original movie.

sighs “he must’ve been a real jerk in high school” was the line. Speculation, not fact.

Randall wasn’t always the grouchy snappy type. As Pitbulllady has said, such an attitude is not going to get him a job, more or less one that has him around many other employees. So a prequel would show more of the other side of him.
But yeah, I prefer a sequel as well.

Enron anybody? snickers

“A very cheap way of trying to justify it”…Good way to put it Mental.

I can’t agree they’d show more of ‘the other side’ of Randall.
From the film writers perspective they’ll be focusing on Mike and Sully, and with the writers attitude that Randall was " a real jerk in high school" why would they show any different? The best I can see happening in this scenario is an indifferent sort of attitude in the beginning which deteriorates into what we have in Monsters Inc.

It would be a nice bonus of course if they did flesh out Randall in a prequel. Cos obviously nobody is just “grouchy and snappy”. But looking at it from film writers pov, I’m not seeing it happening.
I am sad about the idea, but you know, that’s why I don’t really want a prequel.:stuck_out_tongue:

As said, speculation. Nobody here knows what they’re going to do.

brushes shirt Of course that was over 10 years ago, and their comment was made to be commentary-cracking-wise. Afterall, why would they take time to discuss his “shtick”.