Brave - was Pixar right in changing the title?

I think they were right to change the name. It is their movie after all, I’m sure they have perfectly good reason to change it.

yeah, I’ve learned to never doubt Pixar. :stuck_out_tongue: I think in the end it will all work out.

I think i like the switch only because it feels weird to have to say “The Bear and the Bow”. The cons of the change are most definitly the searching and also the traditional-ness of the title. With the shorter Brave title it makes the movie feel child-disney-“ish” if you get my drift…it feels more entitled for younger audiences. The longer title TBATB is more embarrasing to say for me…when someone asks me what is the next film saying the bear and the bow just doesn’t make sense…

So i guess the pros are;
Advertising…it will be easier to advertise.
Communication-Although the longer name will be easier to remember due to its rather long title the shorter one will be easier to get across.

Cons-
Tradition-It just doesn’t make the movie seem like it is designed for teens…it feels like it is going more towards children again.
Ability to recognize-The longer title would have been much more recognizable compared to Brave and search engines would have loved it as well.

Just think that Pixar is brave to change it to Brave because they’re brave for changing an ‘it’s all in the title’ name to Brave. Very brave of them I must say.

Is that the reason they changed it? Did they actually wanted to be… brave? /shot

Haha, I like your theory, Badger! That must be it!

Meh, as long as the movie is good that’s all that matters.

I voted yes because Brave is a more memorable name then The Bear and the Bow, look at Up, compared to the japanese name, something like ‘Carl Fredrickson and his flying house’?? - correct me if i’m wrong). Which is way less memorable then Up.

I’ve never seen it, but somehow this made me think of Howl’s Moving Castle :laughing:

I don’t mind at the moment. I don’t know enough about the film to judge really. I like both titles, but I find it awkward to say them aloud to people (possibly because I’m trying to talk about a movie I don’t know much about).

I’m curious about the bear in the original title though. I don’t think that it’s been mentioned in the synopsis they released, and there wasn’t a bear in the peice of concept art that was shown. I wonder if it will be a realistic bear that doesn’t talk, or more of a fantasy animal.

Maybe the “bear” of the title is figurative? It could refer to Merida, and maybe somebody refers to her as being like a bear. Or another character. This is very unlikely, but it would give them reason to change the title.

It would be a nice change for Pixar to release a film with a longer title. Most of their movies have one-word or two word titles. All of them, actually. Maybe they changed it because they didn’t want people to go “Oh no, it doesn’t seem Pixary enough?”.

I think they may have changed it because Disney had to change The Frog Princess into The Princess and the Frog. The original title is very similar to the old Frog one, in that it contains an animal and some other noun in the same sequence of words. People might associate the two. It could be a marketing tactic based on Frog’s poor sales- the people in marketing may think that longer titles don’t sell movies well.

Speaking of Princess And The Frog, a few years ago when looking at Pixar’s Wikipedia page, I saw in the upcoming films section the title for a film called “Princess Of The Land” and I was like “oh no” because if they made something like that, Dreamworks would probably laugh at them, because what does Shrek do? Yes, make fun of princess-based fairy tales. However, the information was later taken off, possibly meaning it was fake, since Wikipedia is editable.

Yes, I know, Brave is a fairy tale as well, but the title and plot doesn’t sound anywhere near as girly as “Princess Of The Land”. I am not a big fan of fairy tales so I kind of think I won’t like this, but it’s Pixar so what could go wrong? Still, I’d rather see them make Newt than this. Sadly, that film was cancelled, but hopefully not forever…

Princess of the Land sounds really… generic. I mean, a princess obviously has some kind of power of some land, so it could be applied toany princess. lol, speaking of silly wikipedia rumours, a few weeks ago I had to delete a section someone had added about an upcoming film called “Clowns”. It sounded really fake. The premise was that in a land where everybody is a clown, a princess is born with a fear of them. The princess’s name? Princess Pee-pee. Yes, somebody actually wrote that up. They also claimed that this “film” would contain hilarious cameos from famous clowns, including the one from Stephen King’s “It”.

So yeah. I don’t really “get” these fake titles and premises.

I don’t really care for Disney’s current marketing practices- it’s silly to rename a film so that it sounds more “boyish”, like Tangled. I kind of hate the fact that Hollywood in general pushes the idea that male= default. It’d be so much better if films were just advertised for being what they are, without having to worry about demographics and such.

I wonder how fairy tale-like Brave will be? Or will it be more in the lines of a fantasy film? I suppose it comes down to how magic and typical fairy tale characters are used or not used in the story.

Wow. That just sounds beyond the meaning of ridiculous. Pixar would NEVER make anything like that. :laughing:

Same here :slight_smile: Also, the exact name was カールじいさんの空飛ぶいえ (Grandpa Carl’s Flying House).

I like the name, quite a bit, actually. While “The Bear and the Bow” had more a feeling of mysticism, adventure and fantasy, I feel like Brave conveys a lot of feelings in a shorter name, and yes, it works better with the other Pixar titles. Pixar’s never had a title more than two words long, and a five-word title would seem slightly out of place. But name doesn’t matter much. The end result is gonna be amazing either way :smiley:

Yeah, this movie looks good. I really hope they release some art or a trailer or something soon!

I’m really excited for Brave, and to me, the title doesn’t matter as much. I did like the sound of the Bear and the Bow, but Brave is just as good. And either way, it’s the same movie :smiley:

Maybe they’re already thinking ahead and they’re giving this a sequel. Maybe like the bear dies or something, and they don’t want to limit their selves again with the title like with finding nemo. Just a thought.

I’m in the minority here but I never really liked the original title. Brave sounds much better to me.

I definetly agree that it was a good thing to change the name. I like pixar because it has it’s own personality seperate to disney, but still provides the magic of a film alike disney. However, a name like “The bear and the bow” sounds way too much like a disney film, like “Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs” and “beauty and the Beast”. Brave definetly has a better modern pixar edge to it. I look forward to seeing them do a film a little out of their comfort zone. :slight_smile:

Brave sounds very generic to me, I much prefered The Bear and the Bow.

Assuming the new title is more representative of the movie, I’m eager to see what kind of “brave” themes are in the film. It’s only one word, but I have a feeling it will have a deeper meaning. “The Bear and the Bow” was more catchy though. Ah well. Titles don’t make the movie. I see ever pixar film no matter what.