Brave - was Pixar right in changing the title?

Wasn’t Up another one of those cases? I mean, you don’t rarely see one-title movies. At least I don’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

Am I the only one who likes this new title? Because brave is one of my favourite words. Why? Because true bravery is being afraid of the thing you gotta do, but still go for it. Knowing Pixar, they’d probably hide some of these things in there. Hidden meanings, symbolism, that’s the way they roll. :stuck_out_tongue:

Even though googling is going to be hard.
Just put Pixar before it.

I really liked The Bear and the Bow. It seemed so magical to me. I was simply filled with wonderful thoughts about a great and magnificent bear… In fact, the title actually inspired me to write a (terrible) short story. I also quite enjoy titles that don’t specifically relate to the main character, such as Bye Bye Birdie.

The switch to Brave will be okay in the long run. We don’t need to worry… I’ll just miss the old one for a bit and eventually get over it.

However, I do hope the “one word” title thing doesn’t become a recurring and stereotypical thing of Pixar to do. Up, Ratatouille, WALL-E, etc, are awsome titles, perfect for their films. Still, I don’t want this to become repetitive.

I have to admit that the change does seem to spicen the movie up…The Bear and the Bow just sounds like a mouthfull of WHAT!!!..

Where as Brave sounds short and yet explanitory in some unique and strange way.

I voted No, not because I feel incredibly strongly about it, but just because I prefer the title The Bear and the Bow to Brave. Brave as a title just sounds odd to me. In fact, when I first heard the title Brave, I had no idea it was a change from The Bear and the Bow. I was like, “Brave? What the heck’s Brave? What does that even mean?” The title didnt sound right back when I thought it was a new movie I never heard of, and it especially doesn’t now that I know it was The Bear and the Bow.

Ah, so Disney isn’t the only one who has to go to movie jail on the charges of an awful title-change now, huh?

But, yeah…Brave? Its a bit of a “so what?” title. It doesn’t stick in my mind in the slightest. Its just forgettable and generic. And you’re right, you can stick it on anything. I could write a story about a pizza courageously keeping its cheese gooey as its eaten and call it Brave. It would make just as much sense.

But maybe it was sort of a smart move. I guess its easier to say “You guys gotta see Brave!” than “You gotta see The Bear and the Bcoughgagwheezepassesoutfromtalkingtoolong

DNs24voices - Well, au contraire, in my opinion. Brave has that certain “knack” to it, it creates a psuedo-mysterious-intriguing sense to the movie. The Bear and the Bow doesn’t have the same “knack” as Brave. I don’t know - that’s just in my very humble opinion.

So I have reached that point where I am cool with Brave and no longer miss The Bear and the Bow.

I actually like how Brave sounds. I do like The Bear and the Bow, too, but honestly; it doesn’t matter to me either way. Pixar didn’t just randomly change the title just to piss off their fans, they did it for a reason. I trust them.

I’m starting to like the change. This might make it harder to get spoilers. :slight_smile:

karly05 made a very good point. It will be difficult to search the movie on google since it has such a simple name :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, I don’t particularily care about the name of the film. As long as the story, animation, and acting are good, I’m happy, and so far, Pixar has never let me down. Besides, what I’ve found with Pixar is that, well, they never choose very good names for their movies. Up? I mean, really, the name isn’t exactly an attention getter. Toy Story? Sounds like a generic kids film. Ratatouille, The Incredibles, Cars… same story. Pretty much the only Pixar movie whose name really grabbed me was Finding Nemo.

I’ve always kind of assumed that the title Toy Story was something of a pun on “toy store” (not a drop dead hilarious one, but still). Plus, the two words both have the same basic vowel sound, so they go together very smoothly.

IMO, Ratatouille is a very clever title, given that it pertains three of the story’s key components at once - namely, rats, cooking, and France. I’m led to believe that Pixar were under a lot of pressure to change it, since Disney worried (needlessly) that it would be unpronouncable to most American audiences, but Pixar resisted because they knew that absolutely no other title would do.

I remain impartial to the title change.

IIRC, both Toy Story and Ratatouille went under different names in development.

Toy Story was You Are A Toy.
Ratatouille was just Rats!

I remember seeing promotional material featuring the tittle Rats! somewhere. You Are A Toy I think came from one of the original scripts.

They’re online somewhere.

I believe I saw the same promotional material, in The Art Of Ratatouille book. The name Ratatouille is so much more clever.

Apparently, Jeffrey Katzenberg was very down on any title involving the word “Toy” while the film now known as Toy Story was in production, and put pressure on Pixar not to use it, since he believed that the T-word would alienate older audiences. When he left Disney in 1994 nobody else gave a damn.

If i read these previous names of movies I think it’s clever to think enough about a good title because I don’t like these working titles from Ratatouille and Toy Story. The names they used finally for these two movies were so much better! But I think you can’t decide whether or not it was a good plan to change ‘The bear and the bow’ to ‘brave’ because you didn’t see the movie yet. The movie title just has to be attractive and good choosen to fit with the movie content.

grts,
Wouter

I actually thought “The Bear and the Bow” was better. “Brave” just sounds too bland and simple.

Really though, I’m a bit worried that I won’t like this film due to it being a fairy tale. Then again, I thought the story of Up was a bit silly at first but I really liked it when I saw it.

I don’t care. I still don’t see what the big deal is.

I think Bear and the Bow, as a title and sort-of introduction to the film, was a better choice, though using Brave as a title might help prepare for themes and things like that to be more prominent.

Other than that, Brave just sounds generic.

I’m fine with the name Brave, but I wouldn’t have minded The Bear and the Bow.