Bolt or WALL-E

Bolt was okay

Uh… what do you mean by that, lizardgirl? Whatever it is, maybe you should have watched Bolt in full before comparing the two? :wink: I don’t mean to sound too preachy (ugh, how do I put it?), but I’d usually reserve judgement of a movie if I haven’t seen it in its entirety. That’s not to say I don’t get hyped up about it, but I’d make my final assessment only after I’ve gone to see it. :smiley:

However, I have to agree with lizardgirl, Netbug009 and Al-Bob’s verdict. While Bolt was an awesome thrill-ride with surprising emotional investment, the formulaic “been there, done that” plot kept it from surpassing Wall-E’s timeless wisdom and introspective depth. While Bolt was content with teaching the youngsters the importance of caring for another living creature and that the love you give and receive it lasts a lifetime, Wall-E pushed the limits of what animation can do by examining the human condition, as well as offering our materialistic generation an unflinching look at the dangers of overconsumerism and the loss of human interaction in the modern era. Wall-E isn’t afraid to tackle the big issues that our world is facing today, and breaks new ground by not featuring another “talking animals” cast, but instead, an unconventional love story space-opera between two robots. And that fact that Pixar portrayed a huge array of expressions and emotions with inanimate objects and little voice talent made their feat all the more incredible!

That being said, however, Bolt delivers the same message of unconditional friendship, unwavering loyalty and unlimited sacrifice, in the form of a pet and its owner. It’s love in the non-romantic sense, and it’s refreshing to see it being delivered with such unabashed honesty, not in a forced manner. I also liked the fact that the animals don’t actually speak English, or talk to the humans, but rather in their own ‘animal language’, kinda reminiscent of Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (which actually took it a step further by having Matt Damon narrating, and the horses expressing everything just through pure body language) or the recent Beverly Hills Chihuahua. And if you’ve observed actual animal body language, the animators actually did a great job bringing the characters to life and acting like their real counterparts (and not walking on their hind legs like what ahemDreamworkscough does).

So for that, Bolt comes very close. Like JesusFreak said, it’s very hard to pick between the two, and I’m very glad Disney has made a huge comeback and met my expectations. And for that, I must commend Bolt for trying.

Oh, and I respect your opinion Dragon of Ominpotency, and it’s cool that you stand by your view. Bolt’s ending is just as heartbreaking, touching, and inspiring as Wall-E’s. I didn’t cry or tear, but my heart ached when I watched both climaxes, [spoil]although I kinda knew they would both have a happy ending. And I smiled at both heartwarming conclusions.[/spoil] And I agree that the Bellargio scene was just beautiful beyond words.

bolt isn’t out over here, so I can’t make a conclusion just yet. We have to wait til the 6th of feb.

Aw… what a bummer. :neutral_face:
So how excited are you about its impending Brit release? Are you gonna see it or give it a pass? :slight_smile:

thedriveintheatre- What WALL-E said is why I haven’t seen it in full yet. :laughing: I meant that I’ve seen all the adverts/trailers and that sort of thing, but not the film as a whole.

Plus, I’m the judgemental type. Unfortunately, I’d love to go and see every film out there to see what they’re like, especially in the case of a film like Bolt, which is probably quite good, but it’s just too expensive to spend money going to the cinema if I have a feeling that the film isn’t going to be to my taste. Not that I won’t catch it on TV or something, but there are other films I’m more desperate to see. No idea why it’s coming out so late over here, though. I wouldn’t say February is a particularly good time of year for a film aimed at a ‘younger audience’ to be released.

I preferred Bolt.
However that’s not to say that Wall-E wasn’t an extraordinary film. Like the OP said, personal preference. All that sits well with me are lighthearted films like Bolt, whereas Wall-E was harder to digest at the time. I don’t know if ANY of that makes sense : P
Generally though Wall-E was like 100 times better in every way but if I had to choose something to watch several times it would be the one about the uh, talking dog.

it costs me between £5 ($7) and £7 ($10) to go see a film. I may go and see it, it depends what money i have nearer the time.

Well Wall-E (and anyone who’s interested), I recommend you watch it in Digital 3-D. It’s a neat preview of how Up would look like when it comes out next summer.

Even if you don’t get the chance, at least see it in on a matinee or on Cheap Tuesdays (if you have those over there). Personally, I think it’s worth a theatre trip, not opening weekend material, but after the prices dropped a little, it’s worth a look.

Don’t know how much of a “dog, cat or hamster-person” you are, but even if you aren’t, it’s nice to witness Disney’s return to form after the mediocre Chicken Little and direct to DVD spin-offs.

If you can’t catch it in cinemas, see it anyway you can (well, at least legally, anyway :wink:)!

I saw Bolt a second time, and I enjoyed it alot better than the first. I still don’t like it as much as WALL-E, but from a scale from one to ten i’d give it a nine.

Well, Bolt is a good and interesting feature…
But nothing can impress me as much as WALL-E now…

This is a toughy. If i had to watch a movie once, id say Wall-E. But if i had to watch the movie repeatedly, i would probably choose bolt, for dialogue purposes. :slight_smile:

CMB took the words out of my mouth! Or rather, out of my fingers, since I’m typing here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wall-E is like an exquisite rare treat, like a Miyazaki or Peter Jackson epic, one that you would only take out and see it again once in a blue moon, because it’s so grand and magnificent that you couldn’t bear to watch it too many times for fear of ‘tainting’ your wonderful thoughts of it by too many repeated viewings. (Am I making any sense here? Laugh out loud) It’s like a one of a kind work of art, where you have fond memories of the first time you witnessed it in theatres with friends, and where you’d always remember it as a monumental animation classic to show your eventual kids and grandkids. (Waxing poetic here, sorry)

Whereas Bolt is like a Bay or Bruckheimer blockbuster movie, full of incredible action setpieces, memorable characters, and witty dialogue. But amidst all the random acts of hilarity and carnage, there are tender and beautiful moments where the characters talk about their experiences, their “world-view”, and life in general. It’s the kind of movie you wouldn’t mind breaking out to watch over and over again, cos’ you know that even if you’ve seen it a billion times, you’d still get floored by the amazing visuals and incredible characterisation.

Anyone shares the same opinion as me?

I would actually choose Bolt. I just preferred the way it was with the comedy in where as Wall.E didn’t really have that I thought.
I just preferred the storyline for Bolt and the whole film itself.

Sorry for those who liked bolt but I thought Wall-E was amazing. Not because t didn’t have too much dialogue but because it was a well told original story, with lovely characters and well made from a technical point of view. They made it look like a live action movie with the zoom and lightining. And it mess up with world contamination and humanity future.

Bolt, on the other hand, was a very good movie but not excellent like Wall-E
I was funny but not very original… I’m sorry but that kind of growing up and learning that Bolt goes trough it’s similar to Buzz Lightyear’s and McQueen’s

Welcome to the forums, t2u2y! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to have to say Wall•e here. Talking animals just don’t do it for me I’m afraid. Given the choice I’d much rather watch a film with robots than a film with animals, especially a film as beautifully done as Wall•e. To be honest the lack of dialog actually cinches it for me; the fact that such emotion can be portrayed without the the spoken word is one of the films greatest triumphs.

I adored both of them. I knew WALL-E would be a success (I never doubt Pixar anymore), but I wasn’t sure about Bolt. When I did see it in theaters, I was completely surprised, but in a good way. I laughed so hard I cried, and then cried at all of the heartbreakingly sad parts. The only time I teared up in WALL-E was when EVE almost lost him in the end, and even then I just got a teensy bit misty-eyed.

I suppose Bolt made me more emotional was because of a personal experience with an animal I had, and as a result that movie really touched my heart in a way that an animated movie hasn’t since…well, since I saw Monsters, Inc. I’ve never been in love and am not currently interested in relationships, so I guess that’s why I was less affected by WALL-E, even though I thought it was another fantastic gift from Pixar.

So in this poll I voted for Bolt. It was a pleasant surprise from the Disney people, and a reassured me that the studio is bringing back the magic they once had.

Of course, it can’t be a coincidence that Mr. Lasseter’s the one in charge now… :wink:

I love both of these movies very much. Wall-e blew me away visually, and the little use of dialogue did not bother me because the overall message was so powerful. The whole concept of human contact, of holding hands, it touched my heart, it is a much more powerful movie than Bolt. However, I was truly surprised by how good Bolt was. I had to ignore Miley Cyrus’s voice, but after that I was very entertained. Yes, it was an action packed and not as artistically driven, but it also had a very profound point to make. How cute is Bolt’s first experience sticking his head out the window for the first time and enjoying a car ride? It was an adorable and entertaining movie that I would watch over and over, which is why I voted for Bolt.

Both of these films are in my top 3 list (of all time), so it’s a pretty close call. Wall-E is a beautiful film with a powerful message, and while I know that this has been said dozens of times already, the fact that both Wall-E and Eve are so engaging and emotionally investable without hardly ever saying a word is nothing short of amazing.

Bolt, on the other hand, is not exactly the most original film, as it seems like a mixture of Homeward Bound, Toy Story, and The Truman Show. That said, however, Bolt touched my heart in a way that no other film (animated or otherwise) has. This is largely due to the incredibly endearing characters, with Mittens, specifically, being my personal favorite character in the history of film. There are several scenes in this film that bring me to tears every single time that I watch 'em, and as much as I love Wall-E, I’ll admit that the only scene that causes me to tear up is the ending (which is still saying a ton, considering that films rarely manage to get that kind of response out of me).

Bolt gets my vote. :wink:

WALL-E of course. Because I just loved it and it was really cute and amusing at the same time. Also I never saw Bolt and have no plans to ever see Bolt because it just doesnt grab my interest.