Why Jan Pinkava left Pixar!

Hi guys,

Lets talk little bit about situation in Pixar. Jan Pinkava got Oscar for Geri’s game and he supposed to get Oscar for Ratatouille as well. He worked hard on it, but later Pixar’s leaders decided to pushed him on the side and give it to Brad Bird. Brad Bird hasnt been working for Pixar as long as Jan Pinkava and Brad just finished job, which Jan already had been doing for 2 yrs. Thats why Jan doesnt want to talk about it, because it was really bad move from Pixar and he left Pixar after that. Now, the Pixar lost guy, who worked for them more than 21 yrs and make them more famous. Brad just wanted to get all this glory for Ratatouille, which Jan Pinkava was making for long time. What do you guys think about this?

First of all, welcome to the board Paprik!! :slight_smile:

A few years into production, it was evident that Ratatouille, which was being financed 100% independently, was in trouble. Fact: Lasseter pulled Pinkava off the project. Pinkava did pitch the main premise and developed the characters, but most of his outline was overhauled by Brad Bird who rewrote the script. Jan worked on a few more projects at Pixar but quit shortly after… I’m assuming it had something to do with his movie being headed by someone else.

This isn’t the first time millions of dollars in storyboarding, plot development, and animation have been scrapped. It happened with Toy Story, A Bug’s Life, Toy Story 2 (especially!), and Monsters Inc. Since they’re constantly revising everything, one of their mottos is to accept the inevitable – mistakes – so that they can deal with it. Ratatouille was rescued in a miraculous 18-month crunch by Brad Bird. It took a herculean effort to do it, but it’s his vision you see up there!

Brad Lewis, producer, said “We got into a place where the story wasn’t good enough to make the deadline. The story was boiling over with themes dealing with prejudice, family, following your passion, art and criticism. All of these things were pulling it in many different directions, but a story has to have conviction and be one thing.” Pinkava’s version was to take place mostly in the catacombs of Paris rather than above ground!

~Sarah

But still, why he left the Pixar Studio? Was it because they changed the story? Or he got better job? What is he doing now?

I’m pretty sure he left because he wanted to direct a film, and he felt he just could not do that at Pixar. So he left and went on to another studio where he is much more likely to.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. I tried to called him yesterday, but nobody was home. I know some of his relatives from Czech Republic. Right now, I am working on my short animation for Pixar and wanted to stay in touch with him. I would say, he was one of the most important reasons why I wanted to go to Pixar studio. Maybe I should try Blue Sky studio :slight_smile: Hopely, I will hear about Pinkava soon.

I remember reading a couple of interviews with Pinkava, I don’t think I’ve read a bad word come out of his mouth about Pixar… though who knows, might be some confidentiality agreements or something. I do wish he stayed on though, the guy seemed to have a great talent for animating as evidenced in Geri’s Game.

A little off-topic, but I sure hope they stick to this if they realize Cars 2 isn’t working, especially coming from Brad Lewis’s mouth. That’s really the movie I worry about the most. Seems like something just to make the Disney suits happy.

Back to Pinkava - do let us know if you get in touch with him. I was a bit disappointed to hear how he left the company over this, but Ratatouille was still amazing. I would have liked to see a new director like Jan at the helm of a new movie, especially one who has been groomed there from the start. I’d still be interested to see a movie by him, Pixar or not.

You know, that’s why I was so confused. They used to change the story many times. It’s ok, If the story isnt strong enough, it must be rework, but there must be more serious reason why he left. Something like big arguments between him and leaders. People dont leave company because of the opinions from others co-workers. Maybe, they promised him to make his own movie for long time and when he got a chance, they took it from his hands and gave it to Brad, because he had better story. I dont believe, Jan Pinkava wasnt trying to change the story by himself. It could be more like: Hey, Jan… Brad just came with better story, we wanna use his style, but you will become as a co-director, sorry about that. …So he maybe said: thats enough, and He left…

I’m not 100% sure why Jan LEFT Pixar, but I do know his story had to be way below par for them to scrap it and bring in a new director. Brad Bird was on vacation and he left to SAVE the movie, he didn’t snatch it away becasue he had a better story, he just came up with a better story, FAST!

Yeah, I honestly doubt that such a sharp change of power occurred instantaneously. I’m positive that weeks of discussion from both Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava, and the Pixar higher-ups played out before the final shift.

Brad Bird deserved the award he got because the script of Ratatouille was completely rewritten by him (and the Pixar writers). He deserves the award because he was the one who directed the film.

However, you are correct. Jan Pinkava does deserve a ton of credit for creating the original idea. And he does. He is listed in both the credits as a co-director and a writer and his name is on the front cover of the screenplay that was submitted to the Academy.

But considering Brad Bird was the one who eventually did direct the final product, I don’t think Pixar “pushed Jan aside” like you said. And Jan, as the other people above me have said, probably left because he got an offer from another company promising more money, a spot as lead director on a movie, or both. You don’t just leave a company because you’re angry at it. You leave a company because you can get a better deal elsewhere!

Anyways, I’m not a Pixar insider, so this is all just opinion.

Ok guys, I just spoke to Jan Pinkava. He is really cool guy and we spoke in czech language. As Sarah said above and she was right, Jan is working on his feature film with others companies. I didnt want to be obtrusive, so I did ask him about that situation, but I told him that I am very happy about his own movie which is just making and wish him the best. We were talking quite long and about many different things as well, but you will not be interested to hear. So, we will see and I am looking foward to watch his new movie in future.

Looking forward to his movie.

I’m curious, did you sense any bad feelings toward Pixar?

He was pretty OK. He sounds happy and I would say, he is very excited about his new movie. It was very positive talk, maybe because I was very positive :astonished:) but I would say He was glad to hear somebody from his country and could speak in czech language. I am that kind of person, that If I dont know something I want to hear it straight from direct person. I live in Illinois and I am working on short animation for Pixar, but when I told him, that I dont want to work for Pixar anymore because He left, you could hear his loud laugh on the phone. It was funny, so we were joking around about everything. I like that guy.

Pinkava was NOT at Pixar for 21 years. More like 10. And apparently, his version of Ratatouille wasn’t working. Brad Bird is a much better film maker anyway. They’re lucky he saved the film.

I am sure Brad Bird is better director and writer… but because of those all circumstances, I think it was the main problem and thats why he left. Because I have other friends who work for Disney and they got better offer as well, but they stayed with disney. I am sure that he didnt wanted to work with somebody who doesnt trust him enough. Laika is cool studio after Coraline, but Pixar? Its different story. Also, John lasseter is more at Disney than Pixar right now, its like replacing positions, like retaking him from studio he builded… he supposed to be director of Cars 2, but he isnt… its really said. because Its his movie. I know that John loves Disney, … he is crazy about that studio and art, so I do… but Pixar is something he was dreaming about.

Well they had enough time for Jan to rework Ratatouille (Brad did), but one can imagine how difficult it would be to change such a personal story so dramatically; I know I wouldn’t be able to.

After years of working on a film that doesn’t get made (remember that all the characters and many sets were already built by the time that Brad came on board), you wouldn’t really want to stay at Pixar, even if you loved the company at people. It’s just painful and disheartening. Plus you’re also seeing your film get made by someone totally different in the same building, becoming the centre of attention, winning Oscars, etc. It’s just too much to deal with.

I’m looking forward to whatever Jan does in the future though; I’m sure his version of Ratatouille was great, it just sounds like it didn’t fit in with the Pixar ‘brand’. And when something doesn’t fit in, the Pixar execs can be brutal, and are kind of justified in doing so.

I totally agree with you! and I hope you will apply at Pixar in Canada… :astonished:)

haha, thanks! One day, hopefully…

So much going on in Vancouver now, hope you get there too, Janif Pastava!

…really? What is happening over there?

…Jan Pinkava is at Laika working on his new movie, but his project will be in development in two years. Laika doesn’t like CG at all, but still keep 3D department to make a commercials and some movie shots.

Its ridiculous that Henry Selick who loves stop-motion and hate cg got hired by Pixar and Pinkava who loves cg but Laika hate cg got hired by Laika. :astonished:))

I am not sure what Selick wants to make at Pixar or Pinkava at Laika, but I am not really sure If this deal will work well.

:astonished:)