Intertwined

This is a one-shot I wrote based on Finn McMissile. It takes place before both movies when he is still in school. Keep in mind that the setting is England, so when I say “football” I mean “soccer”. :stuck_out_tongue: Please enjoy. :slight_smile:

[size=150]Intertwined[/size]

Finn Thompson hated his life. As he drove across the school playground he contemplated running away for what wasn’t the first time. Staring up at the dreary London sky he let out a bothered sigh. Today he’d gotten 102% on his massive math test. So, why was he upset? Well, good grades didn’t always translate into a good social life. In fact, they did quite the opposite; weighed it down.

He didn’t know exactly why his classmates resented him. Perhaps they were jealous of his intelligence? Or maybe they despised him because he didn’t flaunt his smarts like they would. But whatever the reason, Finn was an outcast to them. They were generally nice, but no one ever made attempts to welcome him as an actual friend.

He tried not to let it depress him too much. After all, ten years from now he probably wouldn’t remember any of them anyways. And what did they matter? Someday he’d have a much more exciting life than them; he was going to work for C.H.R.O.M.E. Only the most prestigious cars got to work as spies, and he was going to be one of them!

Of course, his parents didn’t know that yet, or anyone else to be honest. They thought he was going to wind up working at the local pub, just like the rest of them. But Finn didn’t want that, he wanted a rewarding job and he had his heart set like concrete.

He was about to exit the school grounds when he heard a chorus of familiar voices. He turned back and saw a small purple car cornered by three boys his own age.

“Now be a sweetie and let us see your football,” on of them demanded.

The girl looked around with fearful eyes but kicked the ball towards the boys. Finn watched silently as the gang passed the ball amongst each other.

After a minute or two the young Jaguar asked, “May I have it back?”

They cackled with laughter and a dark green car in the group growled, “Who said we were giving it back?”

“But you said-,” she protested meekly.

“Shut up, pipsqueak. We’re keeping this,” another snapped.

The girl’s bottom lip quivered while she shrank back from the boys.

Finn was suddenly mad and threatened with anger, “Give her the ball back.”

The three boys spun around to face him with menacing looks. Finn swallowed nervously, trying to imagine that they were bad guys and he was Finn McMissile. That was his ingenious agent name. Finn returned the hard expression and to his surprise they didn’t beat him up. The green car drilled the ball, letting it land in a distant bush. He spat on the ground and as leader of the pack, led the other two away without a word.

Once they were gone, Finn smiled to himself. He felt like a hero!

“T-thank you,” the girl piped up.

He’d almost forgotten she was there, but he looked over to her and said politely, “You’re welcome. What’s your name?”

She tried to shy away from the question at first but finally answered, “Holley…my name is Holley.”

“Well, Holley, why don’t we go get your football?”

She nodded graciously and they headed for the foliage it had landed in. The ball was lodged deep in the branches of the undergrowth and Holley’s face fell with disappointment.

“Oh…that ball cost all me allowance money! I don’t think we’ll be able to get it out from there…” her eyes dropped and she exhaled softly.

Finn frowned knowing the feeling of losing a childhood toy. He glanced around and noticed that the schoolyard was void of students. He quickly launched out his grapple hook and extracted the ball from the leaves. Holley’s eyes grew with astonishment and a smile broke onto her bumper.

With shining eyes, she blurted, “What was that?!”

Finn grinned bashfully, “It’s a little contraption I made myself. I’m going to be a spy for C.H.R.O.M.E. someday.”

“C.R….what?” she asked in confusion.

Finn laughed, “Just call it ‘chrome’. That’s where all the British spies work, and I’m going to be one.”

“A spy…” Holley breathed in awe.

“Yes. Are you OK to drive home alone?”

Holley nodded, “Oh, yes, my parents will be here soon.”

“Very well then, have a good evening Holley,” Finn smiled at the younger car.

He began to reverse when she cried out, “Wait! Thank you very much- Umm…what is your name?”

Finn halted and looked into the bright eyes blinking back at him. “Finn,” he said, “Finn McMissile.”

[i]-THE END-
[/i]

Thanks for reading! I thought it was a cute twist to throw Holley in there too, though it wasn't meant to be a Finn/Holley relationship type thing, just friendship. And hence the title.  :sunglasses:  I'd love to hear what you thought if it so please feel free to leave a comment.  :smiley:

Loved it! Also, I liked the last name that you decided to give Finn. Can’t wait to see more of this soon!

:smiley: I’m so happy you noticed the last name! I did my research on that and found that Thompson is actually a very common last name over in England. Thanks for reading!

No problem. Thompson does feel like it’s a popular last name over in England.

I liked it for the most part! :slight_smile: It wasn’t really my cup of tea for some reason, but it was nicely written and creative. I like how Holley was in there too. I keep laughing because I had an idea that was nothing like this but had to do with Holley and the meanings of “football” that I was going to try and include in one of my oneshots somehow. I agree, I think “Finn Thompson” is a nice name to give him. :slight_smile:

I loved it! I think you did a really great job with it.

Oh, I loved it! :smiley: I really like stories (like Star Wars) that have two characters meet each other who are unknowingly related in some way. So, is Finn still supposed to be older than Holley? Say, Holley’s in first grade and Finn’s nearing high school? Not really sure how that would work, though. :unamused: And I knew it was Holley there as soon as you said “purple car”. :-D)

Finn’s history and aspirations fit him perfectly. Wasn’t hard to imagine at all. :wink: And like the rest of you said, Thompson was a great choice for a last name. It makes sense too. I mean, why in the world would he have a name like “McMissile”? 8D I was wondering though, would you pronounce it “Tompson” or “Thompson”? I don’t know if any of you would know that, but I’ve always wondered.

I also love how you ended it… “Finn. Finn McMissile.” That was just so perfect. :mrgreen:

And I guess it’s pretty evident, but a “one-shot” is basically a one-chapter short story, right? I’m thinking I might do my own one of those sometime myself… :nerd:

I just realized how much I was rambling on there^. Yeah. :unamused: :laughing: Anyways, awesome story, MissCarrera! :smiley: I give it a 4.8/5. :wink: :mrgreen:

SallyMcQueen: Thanks for reading it anyways! That sounds like a good one-shot idea you got there! 8D

pixarmilan: :smiley: Hey! Good to see you reading this too! Thank you. :slight_smile:

Snipe: “Say, Holley’s in first grade and Finn’s nearing high school? Not really sure how that would work, though.” Yeah, I’m not really sure about that. I realized it afterwards. And I’m not quite sure how the schools run in England so it could be different. Basically I was looking at it from the perspective that Finn isn’t that much older. Say Holley was a little 7 year-old and he was a young teen like 14. That’s a solid 7 year difference, you know?

“I was wondering though, would you pronounce it “Tompson” or “Thompson”? I don’t know if any of you would know that, but I’ve always wondered.” I’m not really sure, but I would love to find out as well! :stuck_out_tongue:

"And I guess it’s pretty evident, but a “one-shot” is basically a one-chapter short story, right? I’m thinking I might do my own one of those sometime myself… " YES. You should! I bet you are a great writer! I’d love to read anything by you. :smiley:

This made me realize that I say “Tompson” not “Thompson.” That’s weird. :laughing:

Oh, please do! I agree with MissCarrera! :slight_smile:

8D I pronounce it “Tom” as well. Just like the name “Thomas”.

Your Welcome MissCarrera.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I was saying. :wink:

I was pronouncing it that way too. And I’ve actually got a brother named Thomas. :sunglasses:

Thanks. I don’t really have anything though, but I’m thinking about making it about Lightning in his racing days before Cars. :slight_smile:

That sounds great Snipe! I was thinking sometime after my first one-shot is complete that I would start a fan-fic of my own. Not sure when the story would take place but it’ll most likely be in between the two movies.

I think that’s a great idea Snipe.

I agree, both your ideas are great! I encourage everyone to give fan fiction writing a try! :mrgreen:

Thanks! I’m still writing your one-shot request but it should be up over the weekend.

:open_mouth: I can’t wait! No rush though! :smiley:

Yep, I’m in no rush for these one-shots as I’m trying to make them better then what my first fan-fic was.

If I’m honest I enjoyed your first fan-fic Ballboi. I read it yesterday.

Thanks pixarmilan! My idea for doing these one-shots came from those chapters in my fan-fic.