Do Marlin and Dory get married?

I think that maybe certain fish do mate for life? Or at least are part of a harem.

Edit: Oh, and I just learned that the 2nd ranked Clownfish changes gender from male to female when the dominant female dies…
There’s also the species gap to consider too.

Haha, that would make things a little bit awkward for Marlin and Dory, Chao. Or should I say, Marlina? :laughing: Interesting fact, though.

That would make a great fanart come to think of it…

I’m okay with either the ‘BFF’, ‘family member’, or ‘mate for life’ theory either way. But I think Stanton said in the commentary that they were never meant to fall in love, as that would be too cliched. :slight_smile:

To all those who say “it can’t work because they’re different species of fish”; the same could be said for WALL-E and EVE, couldn’t it, seeing as how they’re different types of robots? By saying this, I hope to make a point that the whole “they’re different species” isn’t the best argument.

That being said, I still don’t think that Marlin and Dory got married at the end. I see them more as best friends or roommates, to an extent.

i can see them more as room mates then them being married

As far as I was concerned their relationship was completely platonic. In the end I see Dory as becoming more of a big sister to Nemo than a surrogate mother.

I’ve always wondered were people get this Marlin/Dory stuff from… :confused:

Looking back on my love of the Dory/Marlin pairing I can’t help but think that I’m a complete and total hypocrite. If I agree that Woody and Jessie in Toy Story are like brother and sister (I’m not going to get into how mad I get when people put them together…considering my diehard Jessie/Buzzness haha)…shouldn’t the same apply to Marlin and Dory? I’m starting to kind of see why people don’t agree with this pairing, though I’m still conflicted. I’ve always been one to not stand it when people put best friends of the opposite gender together though this one just stands out to me for some reason. Maybe its the ending where Dory seams like such a mother to Nemo…

I think I’m going to have to say that I’m leaning more toward the platonic relationship at this point in time.

Yeah, i don’t really see a relationship between Marlin and Dory hitting it off, but it has nothing to do with their ‘species’, although the newborns would turn out awfully strange. Dory only really needed Marlin to remember, not exactly for love, although she is capable of making her own decisions, it’s only plausible that Dory could only get as far as a relationship with Marlin considering that he may still hold a grievance to the 399 children and Coral that he had lost some years (or weeks?) ago.

Also, the “dory can’t live in a anemone” thing, they pile-drived through a whole herd of Jellyfish! i don’t think a sea anemone is going to be a big problem with Dory to “move in” with.

Also, this is one of the first relationships i’ve seen that has only gone as far as a friendship, but, A Bug’s Life seemed to go almost in a similar way, with the exception of sharing glances towards each other and holding hands.

I like to think of Dory and Marlin being really great friends. And plus I’m sure if they did get married Dory would forget or something.

But remember, she remembers avarything when she’s around Marlin, so she wouldn’t forget they’re married. :wink:

But I don’t want them married. I sort of don’t care, but that would be awkward. Plus Marlin has a hard time taking her seriously, so she would be more like a child to him than a wife. But I don’t really care enough to be bothered by their shippers.

Haha, I know someone would bring that up. She says she remembers he exists, of course. But that doesn’t mean she’d remember them being married. She seemed to forget quite a few important things about Marlin. Like the name of his son.

let me rephrase that, they would only get as far as a FRIENDSHIP.

Also, wouldn’t Dory be a little annoying to Nemo as well? And doesn’t she have a family that she can’t remember?

Or maybe she made up?

Well, I’m sure that she would of annoyed and bothered him sometime. When you know people really well or are around them a lot that’s bound to happen. But I’m sure that overall they would be friends, after all with out her he would of never made it home.

I’m sure Dory would annoy Nemo and Marlin. But, when you care about someone, you learn to ignore their bad qualities and accept them for what they are.

True, but if Marlin WERE to accept Dory’s bad qualities, wouldn’t haven’t they reconciled and “married”?

Not really. I accept my friends and siblings bad qualities, but I don’t marry them.

-And this is why there’s no Finding Nemo 2…or 3 (Sorry Disney).

I am glad for that!

I never could see Marlin and Dory married. Dory is a cheerful big child, she needs someone to look after her herself! Anyway, her mind is too far away from making a family and raising children, she’s much happier playing tag with fish kids. :smiley: I probably see her as Nemo’s elder sister, and a great friend to both Marlin and Nemo.