Are the movies set in the same universe?

That’s an interesting idea, azzstar. I guess the reason there’s always been an assumption that it has to be different universes rather than different planets is because the cars from Cars obviously resemble our own cars, so for them to exist on a different planet as if they are a ‘race of aliens’ would mean that there would have to be a massive coincidence between the design of the ‘aliens’ and what we use as common transport on our planet.

But, then again, I recently watched a programme all about the concept of infinity and if infinity is to be believed and if we are to think that the universe is truly infinite, then despite this being a massive coincidence, it can happen- and not only can it happen, but it has to happen! So who knows, maybe there really is a planet out there populated by ‘cars’ just like we see in the film…

Possible azzstar but I doubt it- they are basically the alternative universe of AMERICA however- they have the same place names and whatever, heck even famous people with the same names… it’s basically our world I think only… well the people are CARS. (Odd I wonder what Car I’d be, who is mentalguru’s alternative ride?) Plus as lizardgirl mentioned they are the same makes of cars we have… only sentient. That’s a bit of a large coincidence.

It’s a problem I have with Cars in general really, their world doesn’t make sense at all to me so while I could enjoy it still on some level (excellent antagonist story) on another level… no. It hurts my logical sensabilities too much, and this is coming from someone who likes SciFi/fantasy- I guess of course like with all syories I suspend my disbelief for a story- and I can for Monsters Inc, or Incredibles or Toy Story or WALL-E or Ratatouille or A Bug’s Life and Finding Nemo) (despite annoyances over dodgy biology twisting which seems to be a staple in Pixar sometimes.) But Cars really pushes my level of disbelief.

Honestly, Cars would have been better if they’d I don’t know, been human or perhaps had been more organic sentient beings

Anyway back to the general topic at hand.

In my opinion the Toy Story world is (possibly) the same as the world Boo is in, but I’m not sure I like that idea (I want Boo;s world to be OURS damn it!), but Boo and Andy’s world being the same is better than Boo sharing it with the Incredibles of course. I do not want Boo’s world to be the Incredibles world at all. It’s WONDERFUL to see FAN made stuff of their crossovers (some amazing stuff there), but such a thing made by canon would be shoddy and incredibly lazy of Pixar to do. It would be a great limitation.

Prefer to think though, if we saw a preteen or just general teen Boo, we’d see her reading a The Incredibles comic or something though- that would be a good cameo to have if they did. You know make the Incredibles a completely fictional but popular comic book series rather like DC/Marvel comics.

I think WALL-E might be the same world as Boo’s but I’m not sure.

I’d prefer if Pixar left it open, if they had an M.I.2 and we saw more of the human world- NO EVIDENCE of superheroes in the human world only touched upon in M.I so the most logical conclusion would be that they aren’t from that. As much as I get the giggles at the idea of Violet and Boo and Randall all meeting together (since Boo just as a general talent at popping out of nowhere, and Violet and Randall can almost literally disappear and I even sort of ship Mirage and Randall together), in canon for it to be discovered Boo’s world is the Incredibles? No. No. A thousand times no.

I’d prefer if they just had the Incredibles in their own little world completely seperate from all the others completely. Like Cars. It’s not our world. We can BELIEVE Andy’s world is ours, and we can believe Boo’s world is, even though we don’t see much of it. And while I wouldn’t really want Toy Story either in the same place, it’s still BETTER than the alternative case senario.

A Bug’s Life kind of fits everywhere except Cars. Same with Finding Nemo (except like I said, Pixar twisted Biological fact A LOT, but hey I guess it was for the plot- could you imagine if Marlin suddenly turned female like he would in reality? Oh the whingy stupid parents would be unbearable.)

WALL-E could be Boo’s world or Andy’s but that would be a limitation if they made it direct canon that they were. Ratatouille is possibly Boo’s/Andy’s/both their world- actually, I quite like that idea.

But yeah,cameos are fun but complete canon crossovers=laziness. FANON crossovers=fun. That’s all I have to say.[/b]

Even though it is a Pixar film, I think The Incredibles is in more of a Brad Bird universe cause of his different approach to it, like it fits in more with The Iron Giant than Toy Story. The other films (except Cars) just have a way of fitting in with each other better in a traditional Pixar sense.

I guess one I didn’t talk about in my first post is Up and where that fits in. It does seem like it can be in the same world as Toy Story cause of Carl’s grape soda badge being the same as in the Buzz Lightyear commercial (and in the Toy Story 3 trailer Andy got a postcard from him), but Up in some ways is more of a caricaturized world like The Incredibles cause of Carl’s square shaped head. Compare him to Geri’s Game and he would seem out of place.

Toy Story, A Bug’s Life, Finding Nemo, Ratatouille, and Up (same dimension)
Monster’s Inc. (different dimension but connected to the previous one)

Toy Story - Hemlich was karate chopped by Buzz, During the Emily flashback the tree from A Bug’s Life, Postcard from Carl and Ellie
A Bug’s Life- Pizza Planet Truck, Pizza Planet Mega Gulp
Monster’s Inc.- Jessie doll, Luxo ball, same exact Pizza Planet truck shown in A Bug’s Life
Finding Nemo- Buzz Lightyear Action figure, Pizza Planet truck,
Mike swimming at the end
Ratatouille- Dug’s Shadow, Pizza Planet
Up- Lotso and Luxo ball, Pizza Plant truck(in-joke but still), A Bug’s Life tree, grape soda cap seen in Buzz Lightear commercial

Why aren’t these included?
Wall-E - way in the future so I won’t bother
The Incredibles- The Superhero thing is too fictional for a some what non fictional world but I’m not sure because of Bomb Voyage in Ratatouille.

I thought I was the only one thinking about this, guess I’m wrong. XD

I could see Ratatouille and Up together since they’re both in the present day.

Maybe ‘The Incredibles’ is a superhero movie that exists in the Pixar universe. I hope WALL-E isn’t in the same universe because that means that Rex & Hamm have seperated from the other toys.

My friends and I had this theory that Cars takes place in a post-apocalyptic future in which most organic life has long died out and artifically intelligent vehicles have taken over (one friend even went so far as to suggest that the vehicles had deliberately overthrown and wiped out all the humans, and said that he found the whole film “creepy” as a result). So, if you can handle that relatively bleak vision of the Pixarian world’s future, it could still fit. :wink:

It doesn’t account for why everything is still so lovely and green in McQueen’s world though. In the end, it’s easier just to explain it as a different world with slightly different rules.

The Incredibles could take place in the same universe as Ratatouille, Bomb Voyage being the obvious link there. Though he was most likely thrown in as an in-joke because a) he’s French (and as such, his cameo needn’t imply anything more than Belle’s cameo in The Hunchback of Notre Dame) and b) same director. There’s nothing to say that superheroes (and villains) couldn’t exist in Remy’s world, it’s just that the tone, style and focus of the film are so different to that of the Incredibles than it’s difficult to reconcile them.

Haha, I rather like that bleak idea, [b]mogwai[b]. It could be almost like the sort of thing that happened when the dinosaurs were wiped out- only a few species survived and so they thrived and took over the planet. That would also account for the plants and other things there as well.

I like to think they all do, just with Wall*E in the future.

Cars must take place after Wall-E. Obviously their attempts to repopulate the planet didn’t work out so well in the long run… :stuck_out_tongue:

Haha, or maybe Cars happened while WallE was alone, and the people got new talking cars, and the repopulation efforts did work out okay. :slight_smile: I’m stretching it too far, now…either way, I think Up, Toy Story, The Incredibles, Monsters, Inc., WallE, and really all of them work just fine if you have av imagination. Besides, since Vi has a portable DVD player, and I believe The Incredibles IS set in present day, with a 60’s outlook(pretty much what Brad says on both discs) I believe supers were banned in 1989, meaning Andy may have never even heard of them.

These are all very interesting. Thanks for the replies everyone! :smiley:

Still, it would be sad fate for Pixar characters in WALL-E. No water for marine life, no laugh power for the monsters, all animals no longer existing. I think the movies are separate and I maintain WALL-E because of live-action.
Hey, maybe somebody should e-mail Pixar or something to see if they are or not.

I think cars is the Car version of the pixar universe, as in, it takes place on a different planet, but there are pixar characters that appear as cars in Cars, (like P.T. Flea).

Not to mention the fact that all but a couple hundred thousand people probably died extremely painful deaths.

Personally, I like to believe that all Pixar films are set in the same universe, even Cars. I’ll explain my views.

A Bug’s Life could quite likely be set in the Toy Story universe. The Pizza Planet truck from Toy Story is seen outside of a trailer. This may or may not be where the delivery guy lives. Also, a Pizza Planet Mega Gulp cup can see seen on top of the bug bar before Flik enters it. I think I also remember seeing some of the Root Beer cans as Flik enters the city.

Monsters Inc is also possible. As many know, Randall is banished to the same trailer as the one from A Bug’s Life, also with the Pizza Planet truck intact. One of the posters in Sid’s Room can briefly be seen in a child’s door. Boo also gives Sulley a Jessie doll and a Luxo ball.

Finding Nemo could possibly be set in the Toy Story universe. When Nemo first arrives in the Dentist’s office, he looks out of the tank. Here you can briefly see a Buzz Lightyear on the floor in the Dentist’s office, along with some other toys. The Pizza Planet truck can be seen as the Tank Gang pictures themselves escaping from the dentist’s office. Not to also mention that Mike from Monsters Inc can be seen swimming underwater during the end credits.

The Incredibles is a tough one, since there are very little references to previous Pixar films, possibly because Brad Bird wanted to keep the story his own. For a start, the Pizza Planet truck doesn’t appear in this one. Even Lee Unkrich confirmed this on his Twitter blog. However, the Rock Em Sock Em robots from Toy Story 2 can be seen on one of Mr Incredibles’s shelves if you look closely.

Cars is obviously the most unlikely film to be set in the same universe as previous ones, since everyone is replaced with talking cars and other veichles. However, maybe it could be a parallel world with talking veichles, like the monster world in Monsters Inc.

Ratatouille is likely to be set in the same universe as The Incredibles since both are directed by Brad Bird. Like I said before, he likes to keep his stories his own, and include as little references to previous Pixar films as possible. Unlike Brad’s last film however, the Pizza Planet truck does appear in this one. It can be seen very closely on the bridge as Skinner is chasing Remy. Linguini also seems to be wearing boxer shorts with the Incredibles logo on them.

I know I could explain my views on Wall-E and Up, but I think I’ll just leave it at that. Overall, most of them could be set in the same universe, except for Cars obviously.

I personally think exactly like Geoff, with most things in the same universe, and some in parallel universes.

Lets just say that in my personal opinion, all films are set in the same universe. If you have enough imagination, you think there as being several dimensions with different forms of life. One with humans, one with monsters and one with anthropomorphic cars. That’s the way I see it.

Certainly, although on different planets (Cars…), but yeah, the Pixar universe as I call it seems very similar, Up, A Bug’s Life, Ratatouille I can see as clearly being on the same planet, movies like Toy Story and Up for example, as well as The Incredibles, the everyday life neighborhoods look very similar in how they’re shown.

I would say if anything that Monsters Inc. and Toy Story are the same world Y3 there IS a Jessie doll in Boo’s room YD
Car’s could be the same planet as A Bug’s Life both have no human interactions.
Wall-e could be a later time period from the world of Toy Story hmmm also Ratatouille could be in the same world as that too.
Hmm but i would think that Ratatouille and Up share the same world rather than Toy Story and Ratatouille aand Monsters Inc.

The main thing to me though is the Dinoco thing (probably spelled that wrong) Its definitly in Toy Story and in Cars. thats a major thing to be shared you get what i mean? YD

Edit
Oh right i forgot about those things from A Bug’s Life YD hmm then maybe id say that Toy Story, Monsters Inc., A Bug’s Life, and Cars share a world but Monster’s Inc., Cars(with A Bug’s Life) are in a parallel dimention YDDD i love we are putting so much thought into this and trying to make it so scientifical (big word :open_mouth: ) YDDDD