Pixar Planet

Toy Story Replicas (No trading-related posts please)

Talk about Pixar's three Toy Story movies here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby yo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:41 pm

Okay, thanks to both of you! I hope I can find a good one as he is probably my favorite new character, even though he is not an original one.

Wind the Frog!
yo
Mutant Toy

Postby Toodles » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:09 pm

RoboDad wrote:The challenge is to find one in good enough condition. Because of their extreme age, most of the ones for sale on ebay are pretty trashed.

Indeed. Though that reminds of kind of an ironic point in the film: [spoil]Woody refers to the Chatter Phone as "Old Timer" in the movie, but as a Woody's Roundup Doll, Woody would actually be a couple years older than the phone himself! He looks good for his age, doesn't he?[/spoil]
Toodles
Mutant Toy

Postby eggy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:13 pm

So I spent the day yesterday with my Toy Story DVD and photoshop to try and make the Big One Firework graphic label. I have to say I'm very pleased with it. I used a Pringles tube as a basis for the size of the rocket I was going to make.

I had a go at making the rocket itself, but my maths went a bit wrong as I went down to Staples to get the label printed as I wanted it laser printed not inkjet and my printer only does A4 and it came out larger.

So here is my first attempt. I'm gonna try and work out the sizing better as I think a pringles tube is the perfect size to go with the TSC Buzz.

I also had a go at Andy's cow boxes but again the sizing go me and the boxes weren't the right shape. I'm gonna have a got again soon and just make box fronts instead of using actual boxes.

What do you think aside from the sizing issue?
Last edited by eggy on Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eggy
Shark Bait

Postby RoboDad » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:23 pm

That label looks great, but you have a spelling error. It is "Extremely", not "Extreamely". Other than that, AWESOMENESS!
RoboDad
Garbage Boy

Postby Theclaw » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Nice work there Eggy. There seems to be a wealth of talent on this forum.

I just won this Lenny on eBay.

He's described as approx 3" high by 5" wide. He can be used as actual binoculars with a working focus dial. He isn't the most accurate I have seen in detail but I think he is close to scale. Anyone out there have this version?
I'm sheriff Woody. Howdy howdy howdy
Theclaw
Garbage Boy

Postby RoboDad » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:23 pm

That does look pretty good. I didn't even see the auction for that one! How did you find it?
RoboDad
Garbage Boy

Postby Theclaw » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:47 pm

It's a UK sale for once. I'm so used to having to import stuff from the US. He cost me £20 about $30.

Just got a 61 vintage chatter phone too. I've managed to spend just shy of $200 on eBay this month. Plus I placed an order for a Slinky with Tyler. My wife is developing a nervous twitch when I go near the computer now.lol
Theclaw
Garbage Boy

Postby Dinoco » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:58 pm

Does he wind-up?
Dinoco
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby TylerHaslett » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Great Lenny! I havent seen that one in anyones collection, I believe its about viewmaster size?

I went to go get one of those "new" vintage chatter phones, and they're way too inaccurate. Going to get a vintage one if I can find one. Used to have a couple around family, so I'll have to check with them.

I did however find a toddle tot fireman at a yard sale earlier for a nickle.
TylerHaslett

Postby Theclaw » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:15 pm

Dinoco wrote:Does he wind-up?

There was nothing in the description to suggest so. I will post more pics when he arrives.
Theclaw
Garbage Boy

Postby booh88 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:18 pm

With the recent talk of the Chatter Telephone I've decided to re-post what I had initially written on the Thinkway Toy Story Collection thread. I hope this ok, it's just that my post should have belonged in this replica thread from the start, and by now it is buried deep many pages back, and I thought it worth posting again just so those who missed it can see some pics and make up your own minds about purchasing this wonderful toy:

...I have an original 1961 Fisher Price Chatter Telephone - see pics below. I urge anyone to try and get a hold of this fabulous toy where possible, as in terms of authenticity you can't get any better than the real thing. I got mine off e-bay for the better than bargain price of £1.04 (that's slightly more than one dollar for you US folk). When you consider this toy is nearly 50 years old that equates to nothing short of a steal.

He has the correct original wooden base, original chord, wheels, eyes, and stickers. For such an old toy he is in very good condition in fact, with only slight tearing on the decals and a small amount of dirt / general wear. Most commonly you can only find these things in a very poor state. I gave him a good clean when I got him but intend for the moment not to do any further restoration work becuase in his current state he closely matches Pixar's final render of the Chatter Phone character from Toy Story 3. His bell and rolling eye feature still all work perfectly.

For anyone thinking of purchasing the re-release of Chatter Telephone from UK retailer Hawkins Bazaar (here) please be advised that it is not wholley accurate to the orginal toy, nor screen accurate to Pixar's character version. Differences include a yellow chord instead of black and white, thinner, paler wheels, larger nose paint application, incorrect pull chord at the front and plastic base. If I had the choice I'd urge you to go for the original of course, though the re-release is a good buy if only for the fact it comes with authentic looking packaging.

Enough words... let these pictures speak for themselves. (Note *Pixar's film version of the Chatter Telephone has added eyebrows and eyelids that are not present on the orginal toy... this was undoubtably to add a greater emotional range of expressions to the character):

I hope this has been useful to some of you thinking about getting a Chatter Telephone for your collection - I couldn't be happier with mine.
booh88
Shark Bait

Postby Theclaw » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:27 pm

Looking at the comparison pic, it would seem pixar made him slightly wider. Nice find though. I picked mine up for £2.50.
Theclaw
Garbage Boy

Postby RoboDad » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Excellent, informative post!

Pixar did make the base appear slightly more squat, and widened the overall phone a little bit. They also rounded the edges of the plastic part a bit more than the original, and tapered the sides of the raised center on the dial.

But again, this one is still so much better than any of the reissue versions that there is absolutely no comparison.

After looking at these photos, I'm tempted to try to find a better one than what I have. Mine is almost perfect, but there is some serious wear on the handset cord, making the lighter stripes almost invisible in places.
RoboDad
Garbage Boy

Postby Dinoco » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Great info. I think the eyelids may just be for his "alive" mode.
Dinoco
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Theclaw » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:51 pm

RoboDad, from what I have seen of these phones, I don't think it would be a major task to replace the cord. I noticed that most of these vintage versions have real problems with the stickers. Good ones seem to command a high price. I will mod mine anyway. I'm giving some serious thought on Tylers suggestion about putting the talking parts from the ts3 version in the old phone.
Theclaw
Garbage Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Toy Story