The dark side of working at Pixar?

I’m sorry for the title of this thread. I know that it’s a cheap way to get your attention. But going by the number of replies in other threads in this section, it doesn’t seem like this part of the site gets much traffic. And after having feelings of bordem when I read the same old stuff when it comes to Pixar over the past few years (I know the answers to interviewrs questions before I read or hear them), I thought these were interesting things I ran across today. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to see Pixar fail, but finding out something new thigs about the place would be nice. But I know visits there are tightly controlled. What do you guys think about these articles?

Pixar under pressure?
variety.com/article/VR1118036839

I don’t know if I would want to sit through an eight page profile on Pixar these days. I can’t see anything new being revealed to a long time fan.
cartoonbrew.com/pixar/though … pixar.html

cartoonbrew.com/ideas-commen … -tell.html

I still want to know if it’s true that Pixar doesn’t pay overtime.

No company’s perfect and pixar’s certainly a lot better place to work at than most. Though personally I do hope they don’t start bringing out multiple films each year. As excited as I am for Monsters University I was kind of glad they pushed it forward because pixar films are just better being something that you have to wait for because they’re so well crafted and they obviously take a lot of time in production.
I recently read a quote from John Lasseter that said “do a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life”. I think this is kind of true at pixar as the eployees seem to really enjoy their work and maybe if the wages aren’t quite as high as Dreamworks or other companies in some areas then that’s ok as you have to give and take a little :slight_smile:

Well first, welcome to Pixar Planet lisamaria! :smiley:

I read the first article, and I thought it was actually really interesting. I thought the little section about Pixar vs Disney and their lil intimate groups was really different. I’m kinda getting that feeling too, but they go too far when they say Pixar is business like, and not really colaborative. I dunno, I know that they’re growing and it IS a business and all, but John Lasseter would never let them turn into something else other than his dream. He worked too hard for too long to turn corporate. :smiley:

I’ve heard complaints from a few Pixarians about low wages, creative limitations, long hours, tedium, etc. and I know an increasing number are beginning to leave for other companies such as Dreamworks, Laika, and Blue Sky. It does seem like other studios are broadening their creative horizons more than Pixar; just look at the director switcharoos of Cars 2 and Brave (although we don’t really know the full story behind either, just assuming) and compare them to the diverse director lineup of Dreamworks. Of course, I’m sure it’s still a great place to work, just maybe not for everyone.

According to my sister, the Walt Disney Company is apparently a pretty horrible employer overall. There was the whole dropped-pensions fiasco a few months back, their workers get very low wages, and the benefits aren’t very good.

But, she still wants to be a music producer (more the business side) there. But that’s Kelsey for you.

I agree with the sentiments shared by the members above. And thanks for the links, outsider, I’ll give 'em a read later. :slight_smile:

Well, no place is perfect! But I’m sure working at Pixar has advantages and disadvantages.

I have noticed that there have been lots of employees who have left Pixar for other studios. Only Bud Luckey and Lou Romano come to mind at the moment.

Bud Luckey? I thought he was retired? I’ve never heard anything about him going someplace else.

Oh, alright thanks for letting me know! I never heard of him doing either.

I had no idea there was a dark side but then again no company is perfect not even pixar.