Brad Bird directing Mission: Impossible IV?

Who do you want to see direct Mission: Impossible IV?

• Brad Bird
  • Edgar Wright
  • Ruben Fleischer
  • John Lasseter

0 voters

It sounds crazy, but according to heatvisionblog.com, it could very well be true.

I’d love to see this happen, or for the film to go forward with either one of the other frontrunner directors, Edgar Wright or Ruben Fleischer. Though Brad might seem like an odd choice, esp. when you compare the regular prod. cycle of an animated film to the fact that M:I IV is releasing on May 2011. But consider this:

Iron Giant was made as the studio producing it was shut down around the production.

The Incredibles was in a medium (CG) that Bird had never worked with before, and brought in his own people to make a film at a studio that traditionally promoted from withing.

Ratatouille was page-one re-written and made in 18 months.

The man isn’t unfamiliar with stressful filmmaking. In fact, it’s the only kind he’s ever known.

News found via /film.

Oh, my goodness, this is good news indeed! :slight_smile: I’ve said this before, but Pixar has proven it can do an espionage film thanks to Mr. Bird’s Incredibles, and I’d really love to see what he can bring to the long-running M:I franchise.

Brad Bird directing M:I IV?

This brings to mind my M:I:III/Incredibles mash-up from last year. How prophetic, come to think of it… :smiley:

Brad is reportedly in final negotiations to direct M:I IV.

screenrant.com/mission-impossibl … oss-53244/

Maybe I would watch it if Brad directed it, but M:I? Is there any need for another one?

I assume J. J. would be a producer, and if so, this is exactly what Brad needs to get 1906 off the ground. Plus I’m sure he’d have lots of fun.

M:I was rebooted in a way by J. J., so Brad could bring a lot of intelligence to it and awesomeness ala The Incredibles. He’s already familiar with MG too, so that’s the composer already done there after MG did MI: III.

Actually, rather than M:I, I would much rather see Brad do a Bond film. That would be awesome. I think he’d be as brilliant as Martin Campbell at it if not better. It would probably hearken back to the original Bonds, too. And if he would be allowed to get MG composing, that would be amazing. I like David Arnold but after hearing MG’s Bond type cues in The Incredibles, I think he would be better.

The sequence in TI where Mr. Incredible sneaks into to Syndrome’s Lair, that just wreaked of a similar sequence in Goldfinger to me even right down to the music. I wouldn’t be surprised if they used those cues in the temp score. There is even John Barry OHMSS cues in TI teaser trailer. I remember Brad initially wanted JB for TI, but couldn’t get him so he had to get MG, and that worked out really well.

But that sequence proves to me Brad would be very suitable for Bond or M:I.

Bring it on!

bawpcwpn pretty much summed it up, but I think I’ll add my two cents.

I, too, feel Mr. Bird would be a better Bond director than for M:I. I’ve watched both Goldfinger and OHMSS last year on a Bond marathon, and now that bawpcwpn mentioned it, there were some pretty ‘deja-vuish’ cues from the Incredibles soundtrack.

Of course, all the classical framing (none of that annoying shakey-cam like in QOS) and cinematography in TI also proves Brad has some of Campbell’s style. Not to mention the usual Bond trappings of a megalomaniacal villain, infiltrating an enemy’s lair, pretty women, and a stunning car chase/showdown fight finale. Oh, and the suit. That dinner scene with Bob and Mirage screams J. B., if anything.

But Impossible’s more over-the-top sequences could also work out, I guess. Either way, I’m very pleased with this latest development. :slight_smile:

On a side note, I’m quite amused with the obvious Pixar bias on the votes. Hooray for the home team!

To say I’m not a fan of Tom Cruise is an understatement, so to have both him and Brad Bird in the same production feels kind of weird.

However, I totally agree that Brad Bird would make a terrific James Bond director.
You could almost say that the best James Bond flick so far is actually The Incredibles:wink:

I would like him to direct Ghostbusters III.

Why? I see no need for another Mission: Impossible (granted, I’m not a fan).

BTW, Ecto, Is your real name Urvy? If so, HEY!

Yes, my name is Urvy.

Also, Brad should try his hand at ghostbusting.

Well, it’s official now. Should be good.

Oh, my gosh! I’m so freakin’ excited! Congrats, Mr. Bird, I can’t wait to see what you bring to this franchise. I’m sure you’ll inject your espionage touches like you did for The Incredibles.

This is absolutely fantastic. No, incredible! Gaaah… did I say I was excited? :smiley:

Yep, it’s official now.

This is exciting for Mr. Bird!

I am satisfied now to know that this will now be a good film with him on board. The third movie dissapointed me.

I do wish he was doing an original work rather than a sequel, though

IMHO, the second was the worst. The third is the best, and the first is second in my list. But again, this is my most humble opinion. I suggest you watch the first if you haven’t. M:I:2 is not as international in scope (although it was nice seeing shots of Sydney), and felt like a ‘John Woo’ OTT bonanza than a smart and realistic thriller.

I’m really excited to see what Bird brings to the table. :slight_smile:

Hm, I may have to actually go to the theatre to see a live-action movie! I mean, one that doesn’t involve kids with magic wands and flying broomsticks…

Seriously, go Brad Bird! I’m eager to see how this turns out. Is Giacchino doing the music?