Yahoo Compares Pixar and Dreamworks

I found an article on Pixar vs Dreamworks on Yahoo’s front page today. It compares and contrast various stats of the two studios. Pixar comes up on top where it matters most. Quality is greater than quantity!

movies.yahoo.com/feature/compare … works.html

Interesting article!

And of course, I completely agree - with the exception of Shrek (the first one, mind, not the sequels), no Dreamworks picture I have ever watched comes close to matching any of the Pixar films. The Oscar nomination tally confirms it, even though Dreamworks is more prolific.

Oh, I might be a little late to the party with this, but…three Dreamworks films being released in a year? That’s just crazy. :laughing:

Now, i might be a little biased, but am I allowed to say tha Pixar is the better animation studios?

I love how “How to Train Your Dragon”'s Attitude seems to be “Uh, yeah, is the voice actor for our main character really bland and our visuals look five years old? Well, uh…HERE’S A HOT CHICK!”

I prefer this comparison as done by /Film.
[url]/Film | Reporting the Reel World

“And they all make this face” lmao. I never caught that before, but they do, dont they?

It’s not a comparison. One produces great stories matched by great art, and the other produces movies to fill in the gaps of time until the next Pixar release.

The main thing that sets Pixar apart from Dreamworks is that Pixar makes classics. I read in an interview somewhere that Pixar doesn’t really think of their audience that much, they just let the director work his magic. Dreamworks films are usually ("Oh, we need to insert bathroom humor/ a pop culture reference here! Then kids will like it!) That’s one of the reasons why Pixar films end up becoming instant classics, because they’re unspoiled by things like that. They’re just pure magic that can be enjoyed by our grandchildren, without losing any of their charm. 50 years from now, nobody will remember why the jokes in Dreamworks films were funny, but Pixar films are timeless.

I actually really did like Antz. But what really gets me is the sequels overload. Im not a fan of just doing a sequel just for the money which has happened to Sherk. Or trying to convert the movies to television shows. It seems like the studio is being run by the business personnel rather than the creative team. I do wish for Dreamworks to be more on their game cause competition can be great fuel for Pixar. Though Pixar is number one if you get comfortable with that position mistakes can happen. Disney is a good example of this if you read the timeline of animation films. So Im going to look forward when Dreamworks regains it`s title.

Hmm…both animation studios have their good points since they have released movies that I do enjoy. The only thing I notice is that for a good while, every time Pixar released a film than Dreamworks would release something similiar to it. First A Bug’s Life then Antz, Finding Nemo and Sharktale, for a while it looked like one company was trying to copy the other. Pixar has been commended with doing some of the finest movies so far with all the sucess they have gained…of course, it’s only a matter of time before Pixar makes a complete flop of a film but if and when it happens, I hope that it will be a long time from now…

Dreamworks’ lowest grossing film is, in my opinion, their best- Antz. I know there was a whole thing about Antz ripping off A Bug’s Life, but as a film in its own right I find it has both a sense of humour and a message that subsequent Dreamworks films have lacked, when they suddenly decided that fart jokes and that sort of thing were more amusing.

I’m actually surprised at just how close the general amount of money both studios have made is, though as others have said, Pixar wins big time where it matters- look at all those Oscar nominations! Everyone knows that when it comes to a good quality CGI film, you can’t beat Pixar.

You are right about that lizardgirl, Antz was a pretty good Dreamworks film despite that it didn’t do so well when it was originally out.

DreamWorks continues to disappoint me. The Prince of Egypt and The Road to El Dorado had such great scripts and told fantastic stories. With beauty alone they took a serious theme like The Prince of Egypt and made it captivating for all audiences on beauty alone. You could sit through this mature film and not need singing animals to keep you entertained. As for The Road to El Dorado, the humor is more than just chuckle to yourself good and the formula of the story telling is beyond perfect. Plus what other PG animated film can get away with having the two many characters naked for half the film…

But their CGIs since Shrek are laking passion… they’re making for a market now, not putting out good stories for the sake of art and storytelling. :cry:

Ha Pixar totally crushes them when it comes to Oscar nominations. With good reason!

Dreamworks is okkay, but it has nothing on Pixar. I’d like it better if it didn’t start out the way it did (With the insensitive and unoriginal Katzenburg)

3 reasons why I can’t stand that man

1. He wanted to cut the “Part of your World Song” from Little Mermaid back when he worked at Disney.
  2. He demanded to take over Frank Wells position- the day after the man died (how insensitive) and threw a hissy fit when he didn’t get it
    and mostly…
  3. For stealing the idea for Bug’s life and releasing it before on purpose to outshine it. John Lassatar trusted the man, and didn’t know that he’d be a total jerk and start his own animation studio and make a movie about an outcast ant leaving the ant colony

grrrr

I actually do like the Shrek movies, shame on me! And Prince of Egypt. Dreamworks has really gone hill in the past few years while PIxar has been climbing up.

Dreamworks (CGI) is, like thedriveintheatre once brilliantly (and hungrily) compared, like the fast food of animation. Satisfying, rather tasty, pretty enjoyable once in a while. It’s fine to kick back and just enjoy it for now. However, it’s just not as good compared to a great quality gourmet meal, especially the kind that goes for all “food groups” (in this case, different sides and points such as drama, action, dialogue, comic relief, tearjerking scene, moving scene, inspiring message) in a deliciously balanced amount.

Their 2D films are beautifully close to Classic Disney, and I like how they can have things for adults to chuckle to themselves about, too, and the kids can still enjoy it. They were more daring in the 2D animation storylines.

Shrek is the best Dreamworks movie. It had a striking, moving area, some drama, difficult choices, uninterrupted sad part, humor at right times, and funny references without modernizing overboard.
I still enjoyed Shrek 2 as well. Puss in Boots is adorably funny, and I liked the twist on the Fairy Godmother!

The problem with Dreamworks is when they try to squeeze every good last drop of their films into sequels and specials and don’t know when to stop (chewing on old things, as Disney’s actually stooped down to before), and that sometimes they seem to be more proud of having celebrities involved than the stories they came up with.

Prestofan: Well said. You’re right, for now some kids will value the jokes more than the story, but some time later, it’ll be the ones with the well-balanced, creative stories that are more memorable and that count.

Rac_Rules: Huh, that’s true! :laughing:

Funny, that’s the same metaphor I use. :smiley:

DWKs does have some very talented people working there, but I just have always gotten the feeling they’re priorities aren’t the same as Pixar. They use cheap pop culture references, crude humor, etc. It’s like they care more about cheap laughs and doing well at the box office than the actual development of the stories and characters themselves. It’s possible that I’m in no place to make such claims, but… that’s just how I feel when I watch their films. And their directors pale in comparison to Pixar’s BIG TIME.

Basically, Dreamworks is like the Dane Cook of animation.

Pixar Builder that comparison of Pixar and Dreamworks is Brilliant!! i love it, love it, love it!

Ahh, I really hate it when someone thinks a Dreamworks flick was made by Pixar. I’m totally obsessed, biased, and probably more dramatic than I should be, but that, to me, is an insult. Pixar is superior, by far…and Dreamworks will never come close.

What bothers me, is the similarities to Pixar as well…Finding Nemo comes out, then Shark Tale…and Bug’s life and Antz. Idk, I just think its strange when they do that.

Shrek, Prince of Egypt, and Chicken Run are the only Dreamworks movies I like, and 2 of them aren’t even CGI…well…Chicken Run isn’t I don’t think. Otherwise, I’m not a fan

Yep, Pixar seems to go for quality, and Dreamworks goes for quanity. Dreamworks may overall make more money, but Pixar racks up the awards and Oscars (Pixar: 30 Noms Dreamworks: 6 Wow!)

Very interesting to look at them side by side like that.
I like some Dreamworks, but I love all Pixar movies!

What truly impresses me, and is why I love Pixar so much, is that their screen plays are so often recognized each year. It just goes to show how awsome their stories are!

Not only that, but so are Pixar’s scores and sound designs are also constantly recognized.

You just don’t see that happening with Dreamworks. I’m not a Dreamworks hater though; they just don’t leave me impressed too often.

I agree, Dreamworks is okkay. But I think they are going on the right track. I was VERY impressed by Dragons. The only other Dreamworks film I’ve ever been impressed with was Prince of Egypt. Dragons did not really feel like a Dreamworks film