Pixar question boo-boo in board game

Not sure where to put this post actually, so moderators feel free to move if needed.

Here’s a contender for “Worst Research in a Board Game…”

While at a party recently, we took out a board game called “Sort It Out” by University Games. In it, people are given cards with lists on them, and you’re supposed to sort out the lists in order (for instance, a card might have 6 actor’s names on it, and the quesiton is to sort out the list from least Oscar nominations to most nominations. Or it might list 5 rives, and you’d sort out the list from shortest river to longest river, etc).

So check out what one of these cards said.

[b]“Sort these Pixar animations by their release dates:”

• The Incredibles
  • Finding Nemo
  • Cars
  • Wall-E
  • Robots[/b]

Um… Robots?

Someone sure didn’t do their research well…

Ouch, that’s awful. How do you mistake a movie like Robots for a Pixar film. Absolutely nothing close to their quality.

Wow. I love that they did proper research before releasing this game. sarcasm

Nothing against Blue Sky, but how can University Games mistake one of their films for Pixar’s? Crazy people.

Time to open a can of INSTANT FAIL.

Hey now, Robots is a great film!

No it’s not Pixar quality but you can’t say it is a bad movie! The modeling on the characters and environment is amazing!!

I love Robots, but yes, that is a pathetic error lol

I’m glad someone said something!

To be frank, the movie Robots is what initially inspired me to look into animation for film as a potential career choice, and not (the recent Pixar film at the time) the Incredibles. Of course I’m now a bigger fan of Pixar’s films (and Bluesky has gone downhill in my opinion), but Robots is a cute film and no one should dis on it just because it isn’t Pixar. :frowning:

It’s also not as dumb a mistake as it seems. People who don’t pay attention to film creators can easily get confused from Robots to a Pixar film (and people confuse Bluesky and Dreamworks all of the time). Of course, people like that shouldn’t be making trivia cards for film games, but you know… it’s not a completely stupid slip.

Oh, I wasn’t saying I don’t like Robots, because I do. Like CMB said, the modeling and environment is really cool. Plus the animation and story line aren’t bad either.

And you do have a point, Hog-Hug. It seems like a silly mistake to us, but to those not aware of the difference in studios, it is a mistake that could happen. But it is an easy thing to look up before releasing the game.

I didn’t think Robots was bad, but there’s quite a jump between Bluesky and Pixar in my opinion. I think Bluesky has better films than Dreamworks, except for Ice Age being worse, and Kung Fu Panda being better. All I meant is that Pixar has a certain feel to their films, and their stories are their biggest trademark. Robots’ story was good, sure, but not the defining trait of the movie.

I think Ice Age and Robots are Bluesky’s two good films. I think Ice Age is their best actually. And everyone forgets that Dreamworks was once responsible for The Road to El Dorado and Prince of Egypt… and Antz! Kung Fu Panda is their recent great but it’s not their only great.

I think Robots had a good story. The difference between it and any of Pixar’s film’s stories is just that it wasn’t great. But they’re a young studio, and although Pixar was once in the same position and still doing better, I don’t want to judge Bluesky too harshly because in many ways I don’t think they have the fortune Pixar was lucky enough to stumble upon and create for themselves.

Anyway, I just think some of us get a bit too close to Pixar sometimes and forget that while some of the other studios’ work isn’t quite as good as Pixar’s, it isn’t always bad either. And even if it isn’t very good, it still could be better than we initially want to give it credit for. And when I say ‘some of us’ I mean myself included. I just felt this thread was being a bit harsh, and as I mentioned I have a bit of a soft spot for Robots so I wanted to mention it. No worries, I understand what you guys are saying.

Wow, this reminds me of the time I was playing a Trivial Pursuit Junior game with my mom. I think it said “Which was the first Pixar movie made?” I think one of the answers was Dinosaurs, but I don’t think I have the game anymore, so I can’t verify any proof.

P.S. My mom didn’t even get the question right. XD

You know, maybe they put in movies that arent even Pixar to throw people off? because if they do the research for the real technical questions, im sure they could do something as simple as googling Pixar movies, lol

Goodness! What a mistake! Robots was a terrible movie in my opinion-one of teh worst films ive seen. Someone needs to get fired for that. XD

Does that mean you got bonus points for pointing out the mistake, miafka? :smiley:

Does that mean you got bonus points for pointing out the mistake, miafka?

Heh, no. What’s funny is that I actually played on Robots’ soundtrack as well (John Powell). I didn’t think it was a terrible movie (I think we’ve all seen far worse), but I certainly wouldn’t put it up where Pixar’s fare has been, and I had no desire to buy it on video to watch multiple times.

Yes, for normal everyday conversation such a mistake can easily be excused. After all, only animation affcianados would probably know which exact movies are Pixar’s, which are Blue Sky’s and which are Dreamworks’… but this was a commercial game where you’d think someone actually did research into the questions instead of just thinking they knew the answer. Makes me wonder about the other questions now (hmm… was River X really longer than River Y, or was someone just hurridly making out the answers?)

When I saw the mistake I looked at the copyright date on it, and it’s a pretty new game – had a 2009 (c) date.

Unfortunately the game wasn’t mine… if it was, I was almost thinking it’d be funny to take the card and mail it to Pixar (might make a good joke for someone’s wall or bulletin board…)

Slightly off topic, but that’s awesome! I really liked the music for Robots. Good job. :wink:

OUCH!
I have this bad habit of correcting people on which movie company made which movie. Like I’ll say something about how I love Pixar and they’ll start talking about Shrek and what they heard about it and I don’t know what to say! I kind of try saying it gently like, “Oh, yeah, Shrek! I believe that’s a Dreamworks movie. Yeah, Dreamworks.” But it still sounds rude.

omg that is seriously the greatest comment I’ve seen all day. :laugh:

I have nothing against Robots either - in fact, I love that movie! But seriously, who could mistake it for a Pixar…? It’s just not possible! D8

little chef

Funny how they somehow got Robots mixed up with Pixar’s actual robot movie Wall-E. :unamused: As for that movie itself I think I only really liked it cause it was Robin Williams’ long awaited return to voice acting cause he had not taken part in animated films since The Genie in Aladdin.

PFFFT…sob…PFFFT…sob

Can’t decide my reaction here.