Pixar Animation Studios history - name change question?

I recently watched Leslie Iwerk’s documentary “The Pixar Story.” Very fascinating! Some of it I already knew, but it was amazing to see the whole story from the beginning.

Question … Currently, Pixar is formally known as “Pixar Animation Studios.” I understand that when Steve Jobs bought it from Lucas is when the name Pixar was given to it. But when did it go from Pixar to Pixar Animation Studios? Was it around the time of Toy Story, or when the company went public, just after Toy Story was released?

Thanks!

I think it always was Pixar Animation Studios, but didn’t use it’s full name until their new “Luxo logo” for Toy Story.

The name “Pixar Animation Studios” has been the official name since February 3, 1986, before the release of Luxo Jr. The Wikipedia page takes note of it, but doesn’t say specifically.

Didn’t Pixar used to sell the Pixar Imaging Computer? I believe they became an animation company afterwards. So that was probably around the time that the name changed - when they stopped the computer division.

They were founded on February 3rd, 1986 as Pixar, Inc. also known as just Pixar. The Animation Studios prefix came later, when exactly, not sure, but definitely around Toy Story and when they went public.
So no, they haven’t always been Animation Studios but always have been Pixar. That is, after their incorporation. Before that there was the Graphics Group of the Lucasfilm Computer Division, but that’s another story for another day.
I do realize I haven’t answered the original question, but seeing as the “Animation Studios” logo with Luxo Jr. in it was in Toy Story* (at the end) and Pixar went public a week later, it could be immediately before or after those events.
Another theory: They started doing commissioned commercials from '89 to the early '90’s so it’s possible during that time, since they dedicated themselves to animation and no longer computers (at all), the name change happened.
The DVD shows it that way, I don’t know about the original theatrical prints.

Pixar was founded in 1985 when it became independent from Lucas Film. On Februrary 3, 1986 Steve Jobs bought 57% of Pixar stock. Pixar Inc. changed their name to Pixar Animation Studios in 1990.

Disney Fan Magazine April 2002. pg. 61

Thanks all!

martini833: I was talking about from the founding under the name. Although they used to sell Pixar Image Computers, they still where developing Shorts, one even taking use of the computer (that being Red’s Dream). The Pixar Image Computer failed and stopped production somewhere in 1989-1990. The Animation Studios surname probably came when they got official word of producing a feature length film, sometime in 1991 (or in 1993, when Toy Story’s Script was approved…)

It’s a hard question, because we don’t have any proof saying when. Maybe someone should tweet Andrew Stanton or something and ask.

MyGames19: if you’re saying that they were founded in 1986 as Pixar Animation Studios, even with the shorts they produced, that would be incorrect. The Animation Studios didn’t come until later. Pixar, Inc. would be the original name.

martini833 wrote

martini833, you got it right.

When Steve Jobs bought Pixar, the company was promoting Pixar Image Computers by showcasing short films like Luxo Jr., Red’s Dream, Tin Toy, and finally Knick Knack. Due to PIC and also RenderMan Interface failure in sales of $50,000,000 (5,000万ドル) in the red, Steve Jobs decided to give up on the hardware business. Before the end of 1990, Pixar moved to Pt. Richmond, California and changed their name to Pixar Animation Studios because their two biggest businesses were developing and selling photorealistic RenderMan and making animation.

Disney Fan Magazine April 2002. pg. 61 from the Article “Pixar Timeline-Getting Out of the Hardware Business”

martini833: I said it changed sometime when they got word of there first official feature film in 1991, and according to Rey, it was 1990. I was close. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are there other sources out there to confirm this date?

I ask because I’m rewatching the documentary “The Pixar Story” and right after the scene recapping the success of Toy Story, Steve Jobs is said that “we had to become a studio rather than just a production company.” This quote leads into the point in Pixar’s history where it went public.

So … I’m back now to wondering if it became Pixar Animation Studios at the point it went public? Or in 1990, about the time it was switching gears and doing more CGI commercials.

I’m sure they were Animation stuidos before they went public.

How about checking with ‘The Pixar Touch’ book. I think they have much more info there, i haven’t finish reading yet.