Where Did They Learn?

So, I’m getting ready to do my college applications of terror, and it just kinda hit me that so help me, I need more options than what I have. Now, as much as I could dream of following in the footsteps of my hero Mr. Stanton and going to CALARTS, it’s not happening. It’s not. I’ve also heard of some Pixarians coming out of SCAD, which I’m considering.

So, Pixarian buffs, where are some other places Pixar staff members went before they got hired? I don’t know if I’ll ever work at PIXAR, but I want the best education I can and nothing screams “good place to go to college” for me more than “people got hired into PIXAR from here.” Of course, if you know other school that have gotten some folks into big animation houses though not PIXAR yet, that rocks too. If you find any Christian ones (there’s like, no Christian animation schools. D:) I owe you big time, but I’m open.

Or… maybe you’re in the same boat as me a few years later, and you found an epic win place to go to college and got this great education and you’re just waiting for an animation studio to call you back. I’d like to hear those stories, too. ^^

Oh, I should probably mention what I wanna do, huh? xD I wanna be a story artist. Well, okay, I wanna be a writer, but who on Earth JUST writes in the animated film industry? Plus I like to doodle expressions/poses, so I think I’d like making storyboards a lot. ^^ I’d also like to have some animation experience, maybe as a minor. It never hurt anybody in the field to have that.

Thanks guys!

Mod… I wasn’t sure where to put this, to be honest. Feel free to move if I’ wrong and sorry in advance. ^^;

Hello Netbug007,

Over the past couple of years, I’ve searched for and located various universities that specialize in art/animation and other areas of entertainment, as I’m also interested in the subject. So far, my top three favorite schools (excluding CSSSA) are the ones listed below, two of which reside in Canada, and one of which I wish to attend in the near future:

Vancouver Film School
Tuition: link
Link: vfs.com/

The Vancouver Film School of Vancouver, Canada is an accredited university, and the only academy of its kind (on this continent, at least) that enables students to graduate in approximately one year. A wide range of classes are offered, including everything from traditional animation… to acting… to sound design.

According to the VFS website, “VFS instructors and Heads of Department have won Emmys, have been nominated for Oscars, and have worked on independent projects and with major studios like ILM, Pixar, Paramount, EMI, PDI/Dreamworks, BioWare, PolyGram, and EA. Instructors’ ongoing ties to industry means that they are your first and often most valuable business network - consider this your year-long job interview.”

Not only are the instructors’ backgrounds solid, but a healthy majority of the students from the Vancouver Film School go on to lead similar lives, as well.

This particular school is where I wish to advance in artistry. I’ve been to Vancouver, Canada before and I love the environment, so attending an academy in this location is right up my alley.

Sheridan Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
Tuition: link
Link: www1.sheridaninstitute.ca/

My grandfather, George Martsegis, was the founder of the animation program at this institute, if I’m not much mistaken. It is a school noted for its exceptional computer animation programs, and it, “prides itself on a reputation for leadership in the field of digital media studies.” I believe that such veteran animators as Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnston, and numerous other Disney and Pixar artists have visited and spoke at the school.

CSSSA (California State Summer School for the Arts)
Tuition: $1,415 (for California residents); $4,600 (for out-of-state attendees)
Link: csssa.org/index.php

If you find it difficult to wiggle your way into CalArts, try applying for this program first. At CSSSA, a sister academy of CalArts, budding artists of a high school age may submit their best work for critique, and, if they’re accepted, they will receive the opportunity to spend a few months on CSSSA grounds being trained by top-notch animators/artists in the business. I believe that some people from Pixar have visited (and continue to visit) the campus during this program so as to give students pointers.

Academy of Art University
Tuition: link and link
Link: academyart.edu/

Located smack dab in the heart of San Francisco – the city which also happens to be near Pixar Animation Studios – the Academy of Art University touches on such subjects as advertising, animation and visual effects, fashion, fine arts, illustration, interior architecture and design, and photography.

According to this university’s website, “Academy of Art University is more than a top art school; it is a way of life. Students come here to experience culture, instructors, courses and urban living in a way no other art and design school can offer. Founded by artists, for artists, Academy of Art University launches dream careers, from Graphic Design to Animation. Adaptive art schools like Academy of Art University nourish students’ creative spirits through online programs that allow them to attend art school any place, any time.
Request a free mailer to begin your creative journey.”

Naturally, it being so close to Pixar’s home base it’s only inevitable that some Pixarians will visit the university from time to time…

I hope that I was able to assist you in some way. All the best to you in choosing and being accepted into an art academy! :smiley:

– Mitch

Like Mitch said, I have also done a bit of research myself…

Yeah, SCAD is definitely one to consider, as they seem to have a good repuation for their work and after grad stats.

But another school I’d highly recommend is my dream school, Full Sail University. Conveniently located along the east coast (Florida) along with SCAD. This school is grounded for the entertainment industry. With ample amounts of worthy professors, and enough connections to get your name out there as soon as you graduate (21 months for a Bachelors!) It’s seems to be worth every penny.
:-D)

Of course there’s plenty more that I’ve checked out, but SCAD and Full Sail are my top 2.

:mrgreen:

Hello everybody )
My name is Kate and I’m from Russia.
Guys, I need your advice.
I’m 21 and I’ve got Bachelor’s degree in Applied Mathematics and now I’m almost done with my first year in Software Engineering Master’s program.
Recently, I realized that I want to deal with computer graphics and computer 3d animation.
I’d like to study the entire process of making animated 3d movies: all the technology behind it, story telling, animation etc.
Is there any complex educational programs (about 1 year long) which include both technology (for example, computer graphics algorithms) and art (story telling, directing, animation)?
I have an art background: I graduated from Art school and I took TV production class during my one year in American school.
Also, I am interested in Software Engineering internship. Is SE internship program going to be next semester (fall 2009)? Is it possible for foreing student to become an intern in Pixar? =)
Actually I don’t know where to start from( Should I study somewhere else or I can study on my own? I’m reading computer graphics books and having programming practices. It’s not so hard =) By the way, could you recommend books about animated movies production))
Thanks )

Um… I know a program that might help, Kate. It’s called Renderman!!! If you go to www.pixar.com, there is a section on Renderman there, and it’s downloadable for $995 (U.S. currency). Here’s a link to buy Renderman: [url]https://renderman.pixar.com/products/purchase/index.html[/url]
Or for more information about Renderman: [url]https://renderman.pixar.com/products/tools/rfm_webinfopage.html[/url]

And welcome to Pixar Planet!! :mrgreen:

Hi Kate! Welcome to the boards!

I don’t know where or if there is a one year program that studies both the technical and art side to animation. I’d assume to study both, it’d have to be a longer program since each is so complex in nature.

I don’t know when the next Software Engineering internship is going to be. They just had one this winter. Keeping check this page under the Intern and Recent Grads Listing: pixar.com/companyinfo/jobs/index.html I see nothing on Pixar’s site that says they won’t have a foreign student intern at the studio. It definitely wouldn’t hurt to apply and get yourself out there!

It depends on your preferences as to where to start. You certainly can study this stuff on your own, but if you’re like me, I need the structure and guidance of a school. I don’t know of books specifically for movie production, but Pixar: To Infinity and Beyond is a good book to better understand Pixar studio. :slight_smile: And the Animation Survival Kit is a great book on animation.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Thank you
:slight_smile:

Yea, you are absolutely right. I need the structure and guidance, especially a structure )) I am very hard-working and responsible, I can do things days and nights, but the problem is - I dont’ know what to do - there is so much staff about graphics and animation, I’m getting lost in it! ‘:shock:’ I have some ideas, but no skills to bring them to life((
I’ve got an idea yeaterday. I need a tutor or mentor, somebody, who would provide me with a structure, guidance and assistance. First, I was thinking about somebody from Pixar, but actually it’a’ a bad idea - people there are so busy, and I am just a girl - one of a millions)) So, I serf the interent now ))
Maybe you know somebody who could become my teacher.
Thank you :slight_smile:

Hmm… a teacher, huh? Well, I’m only 13, but I could try to help anyways!! Now, if you could define structure… Do you mean structure for a movie idea? And what does structure mean? :~o ;-o

I don’t know of anyone off the top of my head who could be your teacher, especially a professional in the industry. Most are probably pretty busy with their work. I suppose if you search the internet for people who’s work you admire, you could always just ask if they could help you. After all, it never hurts to ask. But just be prepared for ‘no’ since many will be more than likely be busy, but you never know unless you try! And I’m currently an animation student myself, so I could always give you some pointers or something too as I learn things. :slight_smile:

if you’re looking to get into 3D animation, then there’s nothing better then Animation Mentor (www.animationmentor.com). if you haven’t heard of it, it’s an online animation school that has professional animators from all over the world (including people from Pixar) that mentor you on character animation. from basics to expert levels. you can sign up for 18 months for about $18,000.

if you’re interested in some other film style position, then Vancouver Film School, as mentioned by Mitch, is a good choice. i got to take a tour of the school when i was in grade 12, and it looked like a very nice place to study. only problem i had with it is that, the course i was looking to take was only 48 weeks long and cost $35,000.