Pixar Summer Marketing Internship - Application Question

Hi all,
The applications for Pixar’s Summer Marketing Internships have recently opened up.
pixar.com/careers/Available- … ations-812

I had a couple questions about the application form, so if anyone has experience (applied in the past possibly?), or just has an idea of the answer, I’d appreciate the help as I’d like to get it right the first time.

1. In the ‘Education’ section of the application form, it asks for Highest Education Level, and then information on your education including start and finish dates and qualification achieved.
  • My highest completed education level is high school, but I am currently in my 2nd year of University - can I include the unfinished qualification in the education section, or is there somewhere else that I should be indicating what I am currently studying?
  1. The application form has an Employment History section, and then it also asks you to upload a resume and cover letter at the bottom.
  • Is it appropriate to include voluntary and/or independent work that is relevant to the position, but was not strictly a ‘job’, in the Employment History section, or should this just be included in the Resume? E.g. President of the Marketing Society at University. E.g. Voluntary freelance marketing work (e.g. poster design).

If anyone knows, or can read the application form (link above) and has a more definitive idea of what they expect then please let me know. I know it sounds nitpicky but I’d much rather get it all right the first time and would be frustrating to mess up the application based on something like varied definitions of ‘employment’.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi guys,

My name is Maria and I am currently a sophomore at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania studying Marketing. I have been checking the Pixar Careers page everyday, so I am very excited the Marketing/PR internships were finally posted. I am a little confused by the requirements, though. Do you have to be at least a Junior in college to be able to apply or do they take Sophomores as well? I know they have different requirements for different positions, so I am not too sure about Marketing. Any help would be extremely appreciated!

I also had the same 1st question as you, Dave. I would say to talk to your college advisor and see what they say?
Regarding your last question, I think that whatever you have listed in your Resume as Work Experience and not Extracurricular Activities counts for that area.

Maria

Hey!

My name is Kenneth and I’m currently a junior studying marketing and advertising at the University of Southern California. Super excited to see that the marketing internships are finally posted! I believe from what I remember of the old site, as well as a friend who went through the internship, most people were current juniors when applying to the program. However, maybe some things have changed since then! As for the education question, I believe you jot down the highest degree you currently have, which would probably be High School diploma/GED, and specify your conferral date in the education section of the application as well as your resume. Hope that helps!

Kenneth

I just graduated college in December with my Marketing Degree but I’d still love to be a part of the Marketing Internship this summer. I applied and I hope everything works out. I just had a question and maybe someone could help me out. I’ve read other blogs about the internships and I know it says current college students or graduates in the year of the internship. Am I still eligible if I graduated in December of 2012?

I graduated too recently I just found out late February the internship was posted. I really hope to make it in!! I graduated in May and only recently was able to get a part time job at a movie theater. There aren’t many opportunities where I live because when the recession hit… It hit my home town bad. I am very appreciative to have one. I graduated with a Commercial Photography degree. It teaches a lot of different aspects of both visual marketing and business. Working in retail has given me a lot of insight in how the product is sold based on the marketing it gets. Good luck everyone!! Hope we all hear something back on the internship!

The FAQ’s say with in the year of graduation. The thing is some of these are not always available when you do. I graduated in may they say within the year graduated. You should be.

I got this from: pixar.com/careers/Intern-FAQS

• To qualify as an Intern you must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program, or have
graduated within the year the internship commences. (I don’t know if they mean the calendar year or a year from the time graduation has occurred. It just depends on what they are looking for and might make exceptions. Since you are December it’s impossible to do it in 2012. I would think they would make exceptions for within a time period.)

Residents:
• Work alongside Pixar employees as full members of the team
• Are recent graduates from a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. program
• Work for a 1-year term starting in winter or summer, coinciding with school graduation dates

If they really wanted to they could put you in residents portion and do work around the system that way. Most people don’t alway graduate in May and not all internships are offered all the time. I don’t live in California so I don’t know when other internships happen. I have heard they will work around things if they really like you or do you something unique they will do a lot to make a place for you. This comes from an old high school teacher who taught me 3D animation. She said if you really put an effort into your work they will work with you.

I graduated this past May 12’. I sadly have been out of work for close to a year, along with my family being on and off without work. Now I work, only recently, at a theater saving every penny in hopes I get to this internship. They say sometimes you get offered work after the internship. I like everyone else in here hope to have a possibility. This place is my dream place to work in!

As far as how many people they pick for internships durring the summer the FAQ’s say 60-80 interns during the summer session.
Good luck to everyone. I hope this helps. I am trying to be more optimistic point of view.