Brave - was Pixar right in changing the title?

Brave - Was Pixar right in changing the title?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

It was announced today that Pixar’s 2011 film The Bear and the Bow, has been pushed to June 25, 2012, with a new title, Brave. Although some people support this idea, there are a number of people, including me and other members here, that think that Pixar has made a terrible mistake.

I’ll quote what I said earlier in another thread, where this was announced:

I said this before on the blog, and I’ll say it again here - I was against the title change to Brave from the beginning. I loved the title of The Bear and the Bow - very original, perfect title for the premise, and also for a fairy tale. Brave is one of the most obscure, bad titles I’ve ever seen for a film - especially a Pixar film. I do not see how Brave fits in any way with the film than the original titling. Unfortunately, there’s nothing I, or anyone here, can do about it.

I just hope they know what they are doing - I hate to say this, especially here, but this is the first time that I have ever seriously doubted the studio with a decision.

In addition, I have to give a special mention to lizardgirl, who hit the nail right on the head, I think, with this:

I’ll say it again, I couldn’t agree more, sadly.

I’ll say this as well, I don’t see how Brave could fit with the story - other than if the title character is “brave”, which makes absolutely no sense, and is a poor reason to change the title. I’m not saying that was the reason Pixar changed it, but, I don’t know - I don’t know what to make of this.

What is your point of view on this? Do you think that Pixar has made a mistake with the title change, or are you in favor of it and support it? Should they change it back? Vote, and explain your reasoning.

I don’t think they should have changed the name. If Disney is trying to “boyify” their movies, why change it? The original title had two things boys love: bears and bows! Brave really doesn’t have anything that would appeal to boys. Am I right, or am I right?

At first I thought it was a good idea, but the more I think about it, the more I’m against it. At first I liked it just because The Bear and the Bow doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue. But Brave, despite sounding cool, is extremely vague, and if you think about it, Brave could be the title of about 50% of all movies. So, I’m kind of torn, but The Bear and the Bow would’ve been a little better.

I’ll be brutally honest - I can’t believe that Pixar would do this. If I could vote again, I would. There is bound to be more people here who are not in favor of this.

I voted ‘No’. This is beginning to sound like Tangled all over again. When will the execs stop focusing on the bottom line and start making better creative decisions? :angry:

Like I mentioned on The Bear and the Bow thread, Brave sounds like an M. Night Shyamalan-directed, Bruce Willis-starring kinda movie. It’s too freakin’ vague. Unless the character’s name is ‘Brave’, naming a film after an adjective is a bad idea.

The Bear and the Bow is perfect; it sums up the entire plot, it has a fairy-tale sensibility to it, and has awesomely amazing alliteration.

I’m a little torn between the two decisions. I did very much like the title The Bear and the Bow, although it’s not exactly like I absolutely hate the name Brave. I think that I’ll have to wait a little while and see what else comes out of it to make a decision. The only thing that really bothers me about the whole thing, though, is that they pushed it back a year. I was really looking forward to it! :frowning:

Honestly, I think you are all making a way bigger deal than it was. If they’d announced WALL-E years earlier as Trash Planet or Axiom or something, and then changed to WALL-E, I bet the reaction would be the same.

I think the title is fine. It probably fits with a theme.

:confused: I’ll be honest, I think that changing the title to Brave sounds real boring. This is the first time I have gone against Pixar ideas, but The Bear and the Bow had a sort of twinge to it. Despite the name change, I’m sure Pixar will convince me that names don’t really matter. After all, the lead and director are female - one of the GOOD changes, as this has never been done before. Like woody said, I don’t like the movie being pushed back six months, either. However, I’m certain that it will be worth the wait.

I didn’t vote because I’m of mixed feelings… I wouldn’t have chosen to change it, but Brave doesn’t really bother me. Maybe someday, someone will explain the reasoning behind the change - since it’s not as if The Bear and the Bow was too “girly”, or otherwise off-putting to a broader audience. And honestly, I think Pixar could call a movie practically anything at this point, and as long as they have their name on it, and that “From the makers of… (choose three appropriate Pixar films)” reminder, people will come to see it.

This.
I like Brave; it’s very emotionally charged, imo.

And there is a ton of movie titles worse than Brave: [url]http://www.mutantreviewers.com/rmovietitles.html[/url]

ncuday - The difference between WALL-E’s previous titles and the title of Brave is that a film called Trash Planet is going to, at some point, feature a trash planet. Axiom, too, is not the most common of words, and actually would’ve been a cool title - I’d want to find out what it means, perhaps what it represents in the film, that sort of thing.

The word ‘brave’, I’m guessing, represents either one or several of the characters, and could be the title of anything from a drama to an action film to…well, anything. A good film title makes you want to find out more, makes you question what it’s about, perhaps even brings certain images and feelings to mind that could be associated with the film. Brave is just too vague to do those things, in my opinion.

BUT, at the end of the day, it is just the title of the film, and as someone else said before in another thread I think (it might’ve been you, ncuday) it doesn’t actually change the content of the film. It might make a difference to people’s first impressions, and is probably more forgettable than The Bear and the Bow, but hopefully the film itself will be completely unforgettable.

And thank you for the mention, Bill.

I don’t care. The Bear and the Bow was better, but it doesn’t bother me because:

1. I have no information on this film
  2. Pixar has never ruined my life by making a bad film, and they never will. Ever.
  3. The Incredibles, Toy Story, Toy Story 2. Three of the worst movie titles I’ve ever heard, as well as the best three movies I’ve ever seen, and probably will. Thanks for the link, Chao, those titles do suck. :slight_smile:

This is exactly what I think. They could have named Lost, a James Bond movie, and a movie about Steve Jobs Brave. It isn’t hardly as descriptive, but it doesn’t sound as horribly bad a The Bear and the Bow, which always reminded me of Brother Bear for some reason (maybe it had something to do about bears)…

I just realized why Brave is a terrible title - because it is going to be just this side of Up in making it difficult to do web searches on it. :confused:

To be honest, as long as the movie is good, I could care less about the title.

I trust Pixar.

I have mixed feelings.

Personally, I think that The Bear and the Bow sounds more interesting.

But, think about it; Brave sounds more like a Pixar film. It’ll look nice next to Up, WALL-E, Ratatouille, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, short titles.

But, since the actual plot hasn’t really been revealed (all we know is that it’s about a Scottish princess who knows some archery), it’s hard to tell if the title fits, because we don’t know too much about it.

I don’t care too much about the title, I’m just excited to see the movie. I like Brenda Chapman!

Me, too! I can’t wait to see what Pixar’s first female director (and lead!) can do. Brenda Chapman is amazing! :smiley:

Think about it, though. The Bear and the Bow fit with the premise, and will feature a bear in the story as well. From another standpoint, Brave would be much harder to sell to people - I’ve talked to people I’ve known for quite some time, and who know me very well, and they agree that Disney/Pixar have made a terrible mistake. It was basically unanimous in agreement; Brave says nothing about the plot, is too vauge, and would push people away from seeing the film. They all said, “Brave doesn’t sound like a title that would lure people in, they will be left questioning what it possibly means”. They even said that they would not go and see the film.

It kills me to think that I am doubting Pixar and their decision making, especially because they are known for doing what is best of the film - but I strongly stand by my belief that this is not what is best for the film.

The more I search on websites, and read comments, the more I see protest for this decision. I have only seen maybe 4% of people on boards who support this idea.

Please do not think, though, that I do not trust Pixar. I do, very much so. It is this one instance, however, where I think that they have screwed up. I just want what’s best for the film - and it is my strong opinion that The Bear and the Bow title is what is best for the film.

To be honest, I don’t really care about the title. I’ve learned to not judge a movie by its title. So I am confident that Pixar will still make a good movie regardless of the title.

But most of them are either film-junkies or hardcore Pixar/animation fans; they’re going to complain regardless of what the film was called/was going to be called.

Now, ask a bunch of regular people on the street which title sounds “better” to them, without revealing the plot or who made it, and the votes will probably end up around 50/50 more or less.