Pixar Planet Awards 2011 - General Discussion

Hey guys, time to start up the Pixar Planet Awards again this year. I’ll be your happy host, along side me is little_chef_eva09. She and I will be overseeing the awards, along with counting votes, and making sure things stay on schedule. If you have any questions, feel free to PM either of us, or any of the moderators. now lets get started.

Here are all of the categories for this year’s awards:

[size=125]AWARD CATEGORIES[/size]
Best Member
Best New Member of 2011
Best Pixar Planet Staff Member
Friendliest Member
Funniest Member
Most Informative Member
Best Critiquer
Member You Would Most Like to Meet in Person
Member Most Likely to Get a Job at Pixar
Craziest Pixar Fan

Best Signature
Best Avatar
Best Video
Best Pixar Fan Fiction
Best Non-Pixar Fan Fiction
Best Pixar Artwork
Best Non-Pixar Artwork

Best Video Maker
Best Graphic and Icon Artist
Best Fan Fiction Writer
Best Fan Artist
Best Original Artist

Favorite Fandom Medium

Best Game
Best Thread
Best Thread Creator

We’re going to add two new fun categories to the mix.

Best Debater
Most Mysterious Member

The categories for this year’s awards are pretty much finalised, but feel free to suggest any more within the next couple of weeks. Speaking of which, here’s the schedule for this year’s Awards:

[size=125]AWARD SCHEDULE[/size]

January 3 - For Your Consideration (FYC) thread opens

January 10 - Nominations begin

January 17 - FYC thread closes and nominations end

January 20 - Voting begins

January 27 - Voting ends

January 31 - Winners announced

Those dates are subject to change but we’ll try our best to adhere to them.

Feel free to discuss any aspect of the awards this year or provide feedback, suggestions, or enquiries in this thread. Please note that this is not a nomination or voting thread, we will create them at the later dates stipulated in the schedule. We will also be posting any updates or notifications here in this thread, so keep a lookout!

The For Your Consideration thread is now open! Here’s your chance to get your fanwork noticed! :wink:

Promotional ‘FYC’ sigs are also permitted to be worn, though only for your own entries. So get your Photoshop on and spread the word about your work for Nominations! :slight_smile:

REMINDERS

• Non-Pixar Categories for Fanfiction and Artwork are included.

• Best Video is an Open Category like Best Avatar and Best Sig. This means both Pixar and non-Pixar entries are accepted.

• Best Artist (Traditional) and Best Artist (Other) has been changed to Best Fan Artist (Pixar and non-Pixar) and Best Original Artist (non-fandom, original artist). This is based on members’ feedback and to reflect increasing the trend of combining digital and traditional mediums in contemporary artwork.

• Best Fan Commentary and Fan Commenter has been removed due to no new commentaries this year.

I got weirdly really excited when I read your post :slight_smile:

I wonder who’ll win this year…

Quick question, haha seems weird to be asking a question when I’m hosting but… I’m putting together my FYC post and couldn’t remember if in previous years, members were allowed to ask consideration for both Best Artist, with a link to their art thread, and also Best (Pixar) Artwork, with a link to the piece of their choice. I’d like to put up both, because there is one piece in particular I’d like people to consider while still putting up my entire gallery for people to observe in order for them to consider me for Best Artist.

I’m almost certain that it’s fine, as long as you’re only posting one piece per category. Being considered for Best Overall Artist is different than a specific piece being considered for Best Artwork, so I’m going to assume that’s the way it works. I feel stupid for throwing that out there though, since I’m hosting and feel like I should know this all for certain by now. :laughing: Just wanted to make sure it was cool because I’m setting an example for everyone else, haha.

little chef

I think you can do that, but I’m not sure. I think Violet may of.

I hope I can win something this year.

What I think has been done in previous years is that members submit one artwork for others to consider Best Fan Art/Siggy/Video, etc. But if they want to be considered the Best Fan Artist, or Fanfiction Writer, normally, they would post their art thread link.

Right, but my question was, is it ok to post both for consideration in both areas? Like, posting a link to my art thread for consideration as Best Artist, and also posting an individual piece to be considered for Best Artwork. I don’t mean to make a fuss, I just want to be very clear so that I don’t make a mistake and cause others to do the same.

little chef

I’m quite excited for the first Pixar Planet awards that I’ve been in.

Don’t worry about it Little Chef. you can post both your art thread and the art piece you wish to put up for consideration. Sorry for all of the confusion.

I can’t wait to take part in this! It should be fun seeing it’s my first PP Awards.

It begins! Good luck to everyone!

Good luck to all of the members of PP!

Done and done! Thanks for clearing that up for me, TSS. :slight_smile:

little chef

Looks like this year will be challenging. I like a challenge.

Yes, much luck to all of you! I’ll be choosing all my votes carefully. :slight_smile: I have a question for future. When it comes to the nominations, how many are you allowed to make per category? I heard it was 3. I’m trying to get prepared already now that I see the FYC thread is out. :smiley:

You’re correct. When sending in your nomination ballots, you’re allowed to pick up to three choices for each category. It makes the choices more diverse for nominations and makes sure there’s more than one choice per category when it comes time to vote.

I’m already beginning to fill out my nomination list ahead of time, just so it’s all completed when the time comes and so I have lots of time to work on it and change it as I consider different members and their work.

little chef

Little Chef is correct. I’ll help elaborate more on that.

FOr nominations, we ask members to post the their top three nominations (in order). Each nomination is tallied by point system. (1st choice = 3 pts, 2nd choice = 2 pts, 3rd choice = 1 pt). And when the nominating wound is over, the top 3-5 will go on to the final round where everyone will vote for only one.

Thanks to both of you! Clear as day!

little_chef: That is exactlt what I’m doing! Otherwise I will never remember who I had in mind. :stuck_out_tongue: And when it comes to both nominating and voting, you don’t have to do either in a category if you don’t want to, right? There are some categories that I don’t feel I have a strong enough sense on who I think should win, so I don’t think it would be fair for me to nominate people for them, or even vote if it comes to it.

If you absolutely cannot think of anyone or anything to put in a particular category, you don’t have to put anything there. I don’t if I don’t know the categories well enough - for instance, fan fiction. I never read fan fiction, so I can’t nominate any fanfic writers or fan fics because I’m just not familiar enough with them! But try to be as thorough as you possibly can in your nominations, because it will make it so much easier for us to pick nominees and eventual winners. :slight_smile:

little chef

I’m doing the same thing! Deciding now, I have a list all worked out. Well, except for the art related ones, since not everyone has their art posted yet!